Aspen, COLORADO
Most Recent Aspen Camping Reviews
Superb!

They have drinking water & firewood available.

Great views from my tent site.

0/5 Rude camp host, “camp” was a joke

Camp host is a raging a**hole. From the moment we arrived, he was lecturing us about camp rules- literally before we had even parked. He continued to berate us throughout our stay. The “campground” is actually just a large parking lot. I have no idea how it has so many stars. We did not feel welcome and I would never stay here again. If I wanted every waking moment of my life to be policed, I’d go stay at my parents’ house.

Definitely a favorite

Great spot for tent or RV camping. Stayed in Union loop with Jess (site manager btw awesome guy). Pros: -very clean sites and restrooms thanks to Jess. -great fishing along the Taylor river -plenty of shaded area at the sites. -great hiking. Cons: -if coming from Denver it’s a trek due to cottonwood pass being under construction. Bottom line: definitely a great spot, must check it out.

Very friendly staff, great showers and bathrooms.

Very friendly staff, great showers and bathrooms, plenty of room at our site with a few tables and wood stools. The included showers with hot water and good pressure was amazing after our 4 day backpacking trip on the Maroon Bells. (No quarter showers here!) The owners spend a lot of time making sure all the right details are in place to make it feel like a CO campground. I would give 5 stars except, you can hear the highway. Everything is great.

Great little campground

Short walk to the lake but far enough that you may need to drive down to the day use area if you want snacks, beers, etc. Quiet and clean campground but there are lots of mosquitoes and the lake can get very windy. Beautiful area and a quick drive into Leadville if you are looking for a quick stop in a cool town.

Beautiful Views - Very Peaceful

We had a wonderful time camping along the Twin Lakes beach! A high clearance vehicle is preferred but we made do without one. There’s plenty of drive-in campsites, but we opted to haul our gear to a secluded spot on the beach. It was definitely worth it! The views were incredible and in the morning we hopped right into the crystal clear water.

We’ll be back to this spot again for a longer weekend because 1 full day isn’t enough!

So many sites!

Where I camped there was a pull off and if you walked down into the woods, it opened up to wayyy more sites than I imagined. Stayed kinda close to tree line and decided to rain, so since I was by myself I stayed in the car. Beautiful road and not at all too bumpy!

Some great spots and views!

Great views from this camp area. There are some really good spots on the river or tucked into trees, others are wide open and not as good. Bugs were terrible at dusk and not too bad otherwise. Also each spot is not numbered so you may have people park close to you but we had a great experience on a Friday. Arrived around 7pm and got one of the last spots.

Winfield Camping

Found campground off the road past the ranch it was secluded and beautiful! Amazing views and the sound of the river was so soothing. I would recommend this camp spot!

Amazing campsite!

Just absolutely incredible! Plenty of free dispersed camping with very little “ neighbors”. We went on the 4th of July and it still wasn’t busy. Eventually made our way to the reservoir at the end of the rd and it was breathtaking! Had our dogs with us the whole time, I highly recommend this campsite. River running through the whole rd but no bathrooms or any amenities just raw nature. Easy to find as the rd is right off of HWY 24.

Great little spot with amazing scenic views

This campsite is small with only 10 spots, so it isn’t overrun with people which is awesome! There are toilets and a water spout, as well as fire pits at each campsite. It’s nice, quiet, and has a stream flowing right next to it. The real amazing part though is the access to Lost Man Trail right across the street. Easy hike to amazing views of the mountains, valley, and water features. Also a quick drive into Aspen and nearby trails. We will definitely be back here.

My favorite place

This campsite is my favorite, and at my favorite location in Colorado. Great location, clean campsites. If you are going in without a reservation in a Friday, be sure to get there early.

Sage loop spot 7

Stayed at Sage loop spot 7. We had a great spot. Not to close on the sides to anyone. Bathroom next door but it didn’t smell. Just a short walk to the lake. One of my favorite places to camp.

Best spot

Awesome spot for what ever you like to do while you camp!

Very nice and quiet campsites. Not many site so get there early to get a site. The hike nearby was really nice. Bring bug spray

The campgrounds were clean and very nice. There weren't many sites so get there early to get a site. The hike nearby was really nice. Bring bug spray

It smells like our Xmas tree!

This was what my eight year old son said when we arrived. Really nice primitive  campsites nestled amongst the trees. Lake is stunning but wind can be strong

Awesome, quaint campground

Simple campground, with vault toilets, tables and fire rings, yet has a primitive feel. Handful of spots overlook mirror lake. Lots of fish within, but was difficult to catch any. Beautiful views. At the time, we were the only ones in the campground. Would definitely come back. There is a lot of primitive spots on the drive up. The road requires some 4 wheel drive (~12”-16” rocks), but take your time, air down and is pretty easy.

Beauty on the River

Nestled at the base of towering mountains along the Crystal River this campground is full of beautiful sites. Although our weekend here was very rainy we still enjoyed the majesty of the surroundings. Sites are well spaced so you feel secluded and private. Restrooms were very clean. Lots of hiking and fishing nearby. No cell service. Centrally located for exploring Marble and Redstone. Be sure to visit the BBQ restaurant in Marble. Yum!

Great family site

The weather was awful this past weekend with snow, rain, and cold temps, but we had a great time. Sites were clean with a table and pit. The hosts sold firewood which was a huge plus, as the cold temps had us burning more wood than normal. Good fishing very close. We’re going to try this site again on a weekend with better weather, we absolutely loved this place.

Secluded

The dirt road to this campground is a little rough, but still accessible in passenger cars. I have a front wheel drive Honda Accord. Cold at night and windy during the day. Make sure to stop at the Horseshoe campground to get firewood from the campground hosts before continuing another mile to Four Mile Campground. Campsite includes fire pit, picnic bench, bathrooms, and water pumps. Keep driving up the road just a little way to reach the trailhead for Limber Grove Trail. It’s about 3 miles in and out and you will walk through a really beautiful grove of ancient trees. Too much snow on Mt. Sherman for us to be able to even attempt the mountain. June 2019.

unnavigable

Came in about 10pm. Almost hit a stray dog. Map is absolute spaghetti. Camp sites are marked on the map but it doesn't matter because there are dozens of paths between any two points that vary from two way maintained gravel to one way rocky ravines with puddles where you can't see the bottom. Entering the area where there is supposed to be sites is a 30% grade gravel road full of potholes. You will not make it with 2 wheel drive. Signs were incredibly unhelpful. "3350b: hike, camp, motocross, bike, everything else" for every direction. Kiosks inside have topo maps instead of campsite maps. Are also outdated because many paths shown were closed.

Do not attempt at night or without 4wd. Might be fine during day if you can see farther than a stones throw? If you're a tired dude just trying to find a place to sleep, this isn't it.

Incredible tent spots

Falling asleep to the sound of the Colorado River literally 3 feet away is just wonderful, well worth the $54/night for a tent site. Great heated bathrooms, only a few minutes from town, no issues with noisy neighbors for us. Super great

Great wilderness

The area is so untamed and great for the skilled camper. Nice places with amenities, but you can go off the beaten path and do some hardcore stuff. Water sources all around. Very cold until August.

Great Views

We found a spot about 5 and a half miles down Homestake Road that had a large clearing, great views, and was very private. Couldn't hear anyone nearby, other than the occasional car driving by on the road. We could hear the stream in the distance, but not close enough to see it from the campsite. The views of the surrounding mountains from the campsite were gorgeous though.

Could have comfortably had a group of 10-15 in the space with tents, so it was more than enough for our group of 4. Plenty of wood around the area from fallen trees for the fire, though we had brought a bundle just in case.

Great place

I’ll start with a little pricey, but it is a real nice place. Nice views, has private tent areas, clean and friendly. Definitely recommend!

Great little getaway

Great spot. Good fishing and the tenant was very helpful. I wasn’t a huge fan of site 1 as it sits right next to the main road but otherwise beautiful sites. The only potable water source (far as I could tell) was inaccessible as of 6/15/19. Plenty of access points to the river at camp and along the road for fishing, rafting, etc. would definitely go back.

Secluded and natural

Loved staying here late summer! Watch out as you are basically camping alone besides the camp host who is usually gone morning to night. We enjoyed our little spot by the meadow and the abundance of trees made it feel so natural and peaceful. The road leading to the actual campground can be tricky and requires at least an all-wheel or 4WD car as it’s bumpy. Be mindful that there is no cell service until you reach Como so bring some playing cards! The drive over Boreas Pass is a MUST and spending a day in Breck was perfect. Hiking wasn’t really available but a short drive would lead you to nearby trailheads. Overall, great weekend trip!

Beautiful!

This is exactly what we were looking for in Colorado, thanks to the previous reviewer we found it by dumb luck! Primitive camping at its finest. Absolutely stunning views. Plenty of sites right on the water. I do believe it gets a little busy on the weekends but we stayed during the work week and it was nice and quiet.

There is no water hook ups or electric and no phone service (sprint). There is a bathroom however when we were there it was such a disgusting mess my family deemed it unusable.

If you are looking to get away from it all this little gem won’t disappoint!

Morning Mountains

Great views from the tent and relatively quiet neighbors! All your KOA amenities with a great location just outside of Denver

What an amazing find!

Some friends and I were driving over Independence Pass after a Memorial Day (2018) weekend trip of camping and visiting Hanging Lake and Maroon Bells. We were deciding on heading home when we found this beauty! It was the only night that we were able to have a fire and the river was roaring, such an amazing camping spot!