Bakersfield, CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Bakersfield Camping Reviews
Simple

This is a awesome campground, with just a fire ring and table (if a site has it, if not there's plenty to choose from) there is an outhouse and that it is, no signal unless you go up to the lookout

Nice camping

Stayed here 11/03/19, right in the lake. Only 2 other campers. A little windy, fire danger high. Still enjoyed camp fires

Pricey

$36 a night!!! Pretty view no hook ups for a high price. When you can camp 10 miles away on the other side of the lake for FREE! Bathroom was gross. No place to get rid of trash.

Decent camping

The campsites are super close to one another. Recommend getting a site that is at a corner or end of a row. And be aware of the “security” that drives around at night with their lights off trying to harass campers!

Nice and lonesome

Beautiful drive down grade valley to get to this awesome site. We were looking for a more remote place to camp and this site satisfied all our needs. We were the only ones there and the scenery was pleasing. There is access to some nice hiking trails of Los Padres National Forest. There was some water still available in the nearby creek.

Yearly Camping Trip

Did not disappoint!! Everything was kept clean-restroom and showers included. LGBT friendly Dogs were also welcome at no additional charge! Campsites were by the river and easily accessible!

Quiet and relaxing

Really nice clean quiet and relaxing

Clean and Friendly

Clean, friendly, and easy full hookup…clean facilities Dog Park Swimming pool Wendy&Mario

Great Campground

A nice alternative to the higher campgrounds near Mt Pinos. Went on Labor Day weekend and surprisingly there were not that many other campers. Nice well separated sites with awesome views of lock wood valley and Frazier mountain. Area is a great for star gazing and ohv riding. Took a great scenic drive up to Frazier mountain lookout. Bathrooms and camp sites were clean. Great scenery all around and overall a beautiful campground.

Clean and quiet

Before you turn off for this camp, you are driving along this curvy road that is down in one of the most spectacular valleys I've ever driven through. The views are astonishing and made my 2 hour drive totally worth it. This little campsite is right off the road and not to far from a gas station, small store, and what appears to be a beautiful country club community in the middle of basically nowhere. Its is nice for if you forget something to not have to go far. The road down to the campsite itself looks daunting if you arent used to driving off road, but its short and not something that should caution you away from this campsite. In fact while I was there, a mini van made it all the way down the road, turned around, and drove right back up. As for the campsite itself, the spaces are very clean and each site has it's own picnic table and a fair amount of space. From what I could tell, they each had their own fire pit as well. There was not a lot of trash in the camp and it appeared to be taken care of often. It is a small camp though so if every spot has campers, it might get crowded. There is NO WATER at this camp that I ever found. I always pack lots of water just in case and if you stay here, you will need to bring some. All said and done, I will definitely be coming back here, its quiet and the view of the stars at night and the valley at sunset is breathtaking.

Summer Heat Getaway!

It’s a nice drive to get to the campground. Nice clean area with lots of space. Love it that’s it’s a Walk in campground so no cars or RVs. Lots of Hiking trails nearby. It’s a lot cooler up here so it’s a nice way to get away from the summer heat. Awesome area for stargazing. The bathrooms could use some cleaning but other than that it’s a beautiful area.

Beautiful campground easy to get to from So. Cal.

Camped here August 16-18 2019. Arrived to 107 degrees but the ample trees and cool river made it enjoyable. We were there on a weekend and it was sold out. We stayed at sites 21&23, river front so that made it fantastic.

Other reviewers had warned of the bathrooms being awful and the camp host being mean. They were right about the bathrooms and so wrong about the host! He was super pleasant and friendly! The bathrooms are terrible though.

I would go back again but since I like to explore new campsites probably won’t.

On the river

Dry camping on the Kern River!  Has showers and is walking distance to Kernville park and town stores and restaurants.

This campground is known for the epic live music weekend parties and events!

It can get very packed and some spaces are way to close together.  If you can snag a river front spot, it’s great!

Not near the Kern River

This Campground is not near the river or the lake water. It does have a pool though!  LOL.

We were just glad we brought a vehicle so we could leave to explore the river and sequoia trees!

We did have shade and full hook up. There’s a water feature that sprays water in the air and a playground.  There was a store and laundry I think!  We really didn’t spend much time there.

I’ll never go back there only because I prefer to be on water.

The photos are not from the campground but these shots are some of what you can see in the area.

Great spot

Clean, quiet easy on and off HWY58. Sites are level the pool is clean, staff is awesome. Don't forget the oranges.

Best place to get away from the city!

First off this place is a bit hard to find, but there is a sign on the right and if you miss that sign then you probably won’t find this spot. Overall I recommend going super early because there is always neighbors around and the best spot is next to the big rocks which is a bit secluded from the other campgrounds. There is plenty of shade there unlike the other spots. I like camping here because you can just walk down to the river which is always enjoyable. We always catch great fish here trout, catfish, bass.

-Open year round.

-Reservations: First come first served. Free of charge.

-Permit Info: Campfire Permits required for campfires, barbeques, and camp stoves.

Best Season: Summer Busiest Season: Summer

Restrictions: Camping is permitted 25 feet away from waters edge.

Water: No Restroom: Portable Toilets

Large Grounds on the River

I gave a four star only because there are a lot of tent spots only and I really like some of them but they are reserved for tent only. There are sites on the river with hook ups except sewer, but that’s ok for us. There is also a large grass area they have for large parties like weddings and things. We go every year.

Best family campground

We stayed here June 2019 and absolutely loved it. We had site 80 which is back up right on the small Creek that runs right thru the middle of the grounds. The kids loved tubing down it all day. In front of us was the river. Gorgeous views. The grounds are very well maintained, they collect trash every morning, there is a small store inside the office in case you forgot anything. The town of Kerrville is a just a couple minutes up the road with little shops and things to do. This campground even offers activities for the whole family, movie night, bingo, even rock painting. This will be our go to campground every year.

Yearly camp

My family comes here every year. Staff around the area really friendly. The people that runs the desk they don’t seem so friendly but they try I guess. You will see them only one time on your stay so don’t let that big you. Awesome place to camp for sure.

Hidden additional camping experiences

The camping stop is best known for its hiking g trail to the top of Tehachapi's highest peak. But also has cabins available for rent. There is one geo up site as well and access for a horse trail to head on the trail sites are first come first serve

Great spot near a lake.

The lake isn't that great. But they are improving their facility. Running water and restrooms are available. Spots available near the water

Every time

This campground never lets me down. I’ve been here 3 times now, and every time I’ve encountered friendly faces, clean amenities and fun activities for everyone! From movie night to arts and crafts, you can explore the river or enjoy relaxing by the beach, it has something for everyone. Thank you Frandy!

Great place for family BBQ and Camping

I love how this campground is secluded, there are about 7 campgrounds available, 2 restrooms and stalls for horses. You can go out for a hike with great scenic views. I would truly recommend.

Small and Quaint

We love this site, we’ve been 3 times now and site 2 is the best for us. Site 4-6 are a bit close together. You have a 1/2 mile drive on a dirt road and it can get pretty rutted from the winter rain/mud. Close to trail of 100 giants !

Cool place

Cool place to go and chill, just make sure you are prepared for a narrow and bumpy road, also a short dirt trail.

Hike In Gorgeous Campground with ample space

Park at the lot up top, then walk about 1/2 mile to campground via dirt path. Plenty of sites. Old rustic bathrooms work well. Picnic tables at each site. Brought my dogs here and they had a blast, plus no ticks found. Plenty of hiking directly around this campground. Stayed here for three nights and found plenty of exploring to do nearby. Highly recommend, especially because there is no fee. Being said, Pack it in and pack it out! Leave No Trace principles are crucial to keep this place beautiful

Great mid week camping, get a shady spot. Party place on the weekend

We loved this place. Checked in when almost full and had a spot in the sun. It gets hot during the day but the lake is right there to cool off in. Has shower house with running water and flush toilets butno showers? $28 per night, pay attendant if they ever come by. Kernsville is a nice town nearby to explore. This site had a few cons but we stayed at the lake most of the time and slept great every night. Stayed in mid June.

Amazing even in the rain!

We stayed here in October after the yurts had been taken down which was no bother to us when you’re surrounded by the most magnificent trees in the world! This also meant there were no crowds and we had practically the entire campground to ourselves. Highly recommend going later in the year. The trail of 100 Giants is right across the street!

Fun for All

Visited this campground during 4th of July. Restrooms are clean and situated at good distances throughout campground. Showers are free and have warm water. They are also clean. The creek side sites are great for the kids to play in and search for frogs and crawfish in evening. These sites have plenty of shade. Especially (50-53). Riverfront sites are hard to get. Looking forward to trying those later in year.

Nice, well kept grounds

In my opinion, they have the best “On the river sites”, and all those sites make a cul de sac down on the river. So if you have a large group you can all take up those spots and pretty much have your own area. If not, you can just reserve and make some great friends. The river is rushing by literally at your back door. There are little house/cabins also. Even if you don’t camp in those sites, the whole campground is very nice and well kept. Some of the pics were taken right at our site.