Young, ARIZONA

Most Recent Young Camping Reviews
Great for hunting

We came up here for our yearly hunt. We were able to pull off the road about 150 yards. There were rock fire rings in multiple places. Wouldn’t advice for trailers over 26’ or any Motorhomes. There is free range cattle that will come right up to your camp! Keep the gates closed that you go through. PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT.

Nice spot to get out of Phx for a night or two

Drive up to test out my new RTT. Hardly anyone there and the saloon has good food and drink.

Went backpacking/camping by the Mogollon rim!

Had a great night after backpacking 12 miles the first day. We found a perfect site right by the trail and were able to sleep under the stars in hammocks and even on just the ground without a tent. The area has so many trees to hammock from and provides plenty of wind-blocking so it doesn't get terribly chilly from the wind.

Traffic noise

Tried control road after some extensive research. It wasn’t as good as expected. This site was too close to the 260 so traffic noise was loud. There was not too much shade as the area for camping was very leveled. The road in is paved for about 3 miles. Then turns to dirt. Some of the areas are tougher than others. Went down a ways to try to find a new spot but all the “nice” ones were taken and others were way too close to the road. Overall won’t be trying control road again

Solid choice as usual

Decided to do a second review of aspen because this time seems a bit different than past times. Only 1 loop of the campground was open but it sure was much louder than usual. A good amount of the campers enjoyed very music that could be heard from many campsites away so this was unfortunate. Other than that the hosts were kind as always and the site was very nice and open.

Cool spot, too much trash

The river was beautiful! The camp spots were close to the river with nice big fire rings. Just like a lot of low desert camping in Arizona it’s dusty and dry with lots of prickly plans. But the trail and the trees near the river were lush. My biggest complaint about the spot was all the garbage everywhere. Come on people, burn your trash or take it home! There’s no need to trip over piles of water bottles & beer cans, cigarette butts, McDonald’s wrappers and plastic bags.

Great place to camp hike fish relax

Great place easy access large campsites with a big fire pit grill already built in forest is 30ft away and your walking in the wilderness there are a lot of ATVs around on the weekends so it will be loud and lots of traffic is the only downside but on the weekdays it’s empty and wide open we hiked about two miles into the woods and got to follow a huge herd of ELK ! What a nice surprise for the kids I give five stars dogs kids and adults we all had a blast !

Zero cell service lots of hunters but very secluded only know of hunters by the shots every now and then lake knoll is beautiful lots of Fish !! Five stars but for experienced campers only bring 4wd and a spare tire lots of awesome 4x4 trails and hiking this is camping at its best

Fantastic

This is a family favorite. We stayed in a new spot this time and will definitely be staying in this one again. Wouldn’t advise a trailer longer than 28 feet and no motor homes. We tried fishing but weren’t successful. Bathrooms and watet spigot is right across the street. You are able to fill up fresh water at camp host spot or the dump station has a spot for fresh water fill up. Verizon cell service is really spotty to no service at all.

Lots of sites!

We drove up to Payson spontaneously hoping we would be able to find a campsite and we went to 4 full ones before stumbling on this one. This one luckily had room and we were thrilled about that. It was $25 for the one night. The site was very accommodating too, they sell firewood at their for $8. The owners of the site also helped us get a fire going when we had trouble. The bathrooms were also clean which was nice. Overall a great campsite!

Our Favorite Spot

We love camping here, its so close to home and it's dispersed! We usually camp right on the water. It can get really packed but we have never had bad neighbors. Seems to be kept pretty clean and there are restrooms.

Good

We really liked this camp ground, we just didn't like the experience. The spaces are spread apart and there is plenty of room. But you can have up to 10 people, 2 car and ONLY 2 tents. So be prepared to sleep in groups I guess, we weren't. Also the camp host was nice but seemed to cater to the people she knew, she drives by A LOT and checked up on us almost every hour, we go to camp to get away, not be bothered. She really did not make us feel welcomed but we really did like where the camp site was so we're just hoping a new host is there if we ever go back.

Friendly and beautiful, but busy

Really enjoyed a two-night stay at this campsite, ended up in sites 001 and 002 on the A loop. 002 was more spacious but less shady, 001 smaller but more secluded.

The restrooms were clean and the camp host offered firewood right from her cart, extremely convenient!

The only reason for four stars was the parallel-to-camp parking spots and the overall slant of the site itself—rain erosion needs to be addressed and the spots need some TLC with a backhoe to get back to level.

All depends on the site

Nice campground overall. I enjoyed the easy access off the 260 and also the paved roads. We had a great campsite with tons of space D08 but it was also close to the bathroom. 2 issues were the flys and the bees. It was overload. They actually had bee and fly catchers up before we even got there and they still were an issue. Overall not bad but probably won’t come back.

Currently Closed due to flood rush

I wanted to stay down by the lake but the washes are closed due to the flash flood risk. The recent fire much of the vegetation that stems the flow of water. I would imagine that the campground will open back up after monsoon season but might periodically close based on the weather patterns. At least until the vegetation regrows.

I ended up staying on the south side if Davis Wash just off Apache Trail in a dispersed campground. I was the only one out there which was nice and spooky. Being that it was Friday the 13th. I figured it would be better to be with the four legged creatures than the two legged. Better behaved. Nice night that cooled off enough to sleep at midnight.

Loosely named a "Resort"

This place is not the type of resort you "girl's trip" to. It's the kind of resort where you plan to spend all day on the lake and come back to a shower and a real bed. You can choose to camp in your tent/RV or start in the motel.

The resort offers:

• breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • watercraft rentals
  • two boat ramps
  • convenience store

There is a $10 fee to use any of their land. Even if you're just launching your boat. Emergency personnel have a base on the property which is comforting. Cell service is scarce on the lake but works great close to the resort. Only gave the resort 4 stars because I prefer camping around less people.

Ranger Review: Primus Essential Pot Set at Crabtree Wash

Campground Review:

Crabtree Wash is a small campground next to the Apache Lake Marina and Resort. There are two ways down to the wash: one fun dirt road to take your 4x4 vehicle or service road 79. Service road 79 is the same road you take to the resort and is paved all the way down. Crabtree is run by the Tonto National Forest so you must have a Tonto Pass to enjoy the day or night. Passes can be purchased at any Tonto Ranger station, Canyon Lake or most gas stations on the way down Apache Trail.

The campground itself is fairly small and first come/first serve. This campground is unique because it is next to the “resort”. The campground has toilets and trash pickup. The resort offers many things for sale (firewood, ice, lunch…) so it’s like camping out in the desert next to a convenience store.

When planning a trip to Apache lake plan accordingly as this is a desert campground. In September I sweat bullets until about midnight when the temperature dropped. The lake the next day made it all better.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt (what I refer lovingly to as a Dyrt Ranger), I get the privilege to test products. At Crabtree Wash, I tested Primus’ Essential Pot Set 1.3L. I have been in need of specific camping pots as the kitchen pots I was using were not getting the job done. These pots were impressive.

The set comes with two 1.3L pots, one frying pan, a pot gripper and a carrying bag. First impressions: love the carrying bag, pans look well made and perfect size to cook for my one or two person camping trips.

I was able to throw my plate and silverware into the carrying bag with the pots so everything is self contained. The flying is nonstick and doubles as a lid to the pots.  The pot gripper is okay, the design is akin to scissors. I’m planning on upgrading to the Primus Crimp Pot Gripper as I fully expect to drop a pan of boiling water because I loosen my grip on the gripper. Overall I am completely stoked to add the Primus pots to my camping gear.

Amazing hiking trip

Beautiful swimming and hiking. Now permits are required but it is really a unique spot. They have been getting tighter on restrictions. If people keep leaving trash then I’m sure they’ll completely close it someday. Pack in/pack out. I lost all of the pictures from this trip but the water is comparable to Grand Canyon/Havasupai, just on a much smaller scale. The high mineral content “fossilizes” the sticks and leaves that sit in the water.

Amazing Camping off Yound Highway

Big open spots with lots to do nearby. There are multiple places to pull of of this road and camp. This is a pack in/pack out site with trees and fresh air. It is part of Tonto National forest so fire restrictions and usually in place through the summer. Tall pines are everywhere with junipers here and there. You can get some amazing views of the Mogollon Rim depending where you stop.
Forest Lakes and the rim lakes are close by. They are great for kayaking, fishing and camping. The fish hatchery is a fun stop for kids but the hours are pretty specific.

Ranger Review: Grub Stick at Pivot Rock Canyon

Campground Review: This is dispersed camping in Coconino National Forest. There is camping throughout this area and it is all dispersed. Some spots are better than others but everything is pretty awesome. Tall pines all around, lots of exploring room for kids. The camping areas are all pretty open and there are plenty of spots to park a trailer or RV. This is just open forest so there is nothing for resources or amenities. There are spots higher on the ridge and also a few amazing places to camp right in pivot canyon. It has been an especially dry year but the canyon is shaded and was very green.

There is some great hiking especially through the canyon. If you follow the canyon about one mile from the road, then go down and right onto a cow trail, you can get to Pivot Rock Spring. We weren’t able to make it that far because we had so many little kids with us this time. This is also very close to Strawberry and Pine which have a perfect small town feel. You can stop at the lavender farm, buy local honey, and they have little festivals pretty often.

Something to note is that Tonto National Forest is usually fire restricted this time of year but Coconino is not. This site is barely into Coconino. It is still very dry so be careful with it!

Product Review: Grub Stick As a Dyrt Ranger I get to try out awesome new gear from outdoor companies. This trip we cooked with our new Grub Stick set. I love cooking over a campfire, and that is what Grub Stick is all about. The kids also had fun roasting. Definitely be aware that these are hot sharp pieces of metal so of course we had a close eye on them. Like any roasting get your fire going for a while until you have a nice bed of coals, that will cook better and cleaner than big flames and smoke. The handles are heavy duty and extendable and the different heads are easy to exchange, even when hot. Grub Stick really planned well on giving you what is needed in the moment. The hot pad, and grabber were very useful. We started out with grilled cheese sandwiches in the Grubcage and Burgcage. They worked great and you can see I was even about to prop a few up on the rocks whichever I got the next batch ready. For dessert we did s’mores. Roasting the whole s’more got the chocolate all melted and toasted the crackers too. I was a little doubtful that the marshmallow would roast enough but it did well. If you’re into perfect browned marshmallows, I would roast them separately. Next we used the Grubpocket, which is the short metal cylinder. Now I was really excited for this one. My wife’s family has always made “woofems” which are made from wrapping crescent roll dough around a dowel on metal rod. You roast it and then fill it with pudding, berries and whipped cream. So with the Grubpocket, they cook much faster and the best part is that the interior cooks too. We’ve always had the problem of a doughy middle. I filled mine with chocolate pudding and bananas. It was amazing. I did butter the stick first and I would suggest that or else the dough can get stuck. There were a few other tools that we are looking forward to using next time including the bacon clip and the Grub Tube. I love the simplicity of the product. It makes campfire cooking easier and pretty fast. I saw the recipes on the site and some of them seem a little over the top. I like that the tools simplify the process for me. I also love the durable carrying case that easily fits everything.

Such a great site!!

We had a great time here, sites are good size and well kept! Amenities were in great condition and our favorite day use river spot is 15 minutes away👌🏻 A+++

Eh

Just a 1/2 mile on dirt road so that’s nice but the walk in spots for this campsite are SMALL and VERY tight/close together. Not only that but all spots are parallel. This doesn’t make it very convenient unless you are tent camping which we were not. Close to the Mogollon Rim paved path which is amazing, reference the picture for that! The hosts were great…hence why I gave the 4 stars! But I wouldn’t be going back here anytime soon.

Small site

Not a bad site but small. The sites were too small for my truck and Aliner but lots and lots of shade which was cool! It’s also just across the 260 from the village which was neat to visit.

Solid campground

Pretty nice campground, especially with the paved roads for the bikes. It also has a cool creek within a short hike, about 1.5 miles round trip. Overall a nice campground but not necessarily some place I’d go back. Mainly because the lack of shade in the space we were in and a few around us.

Nice, but pit toilets are stinky

The sites are very well maintained and for it being so big, you didn’t feel cramped (although it wasn’t full). Perfect site for our first camper tow. Amenities are nice (water/dump station), showers, paved roads throughout, but the campground pit toilets are old and stinky. Will definitely be back, but will probably use our own bathroom. 😬

One of the faves

Aspen campground is our go to campground. It has all the necessary amenities for simple camping. What we like best is the paved roads and the paved bike path! Incredible to take it all the way up to the rim. Only downfall is that some spaces are quite close and reservations are slim to none at times.

One of the faves

This is camping

First time doing blm camping and holy cow!!! I could not have been more pleased. The spaces are so spread out that you feel like no one is around you! Each site is well taken care of and has a campfire ring ready to use. The exploring is endless at 195. Only downside is all dirt/gravel roads so not great for casual biking but overall I would highly recommend and will be going back soon!

Piny air and plenty of isolation

While I'd rather have been closer to the dramatic drop off of the rim, sitting a bit back on the plateau was still a nice break from the valley heat. The site was spacious and quite far from the nearest other sites. I could just barely spot a little flickering flame through the trees for the site to the south of me - an RV was there and I think I heard some young children early in the afternoon - and similarly saw a bit of distant light from the site to the north. These are nicely separated.

Sadly, not as far back from FR 84 (or the Rim Rd. itself) as would be ideal as there was some intermittent traffic noise and light during the evening but not so bad it detracted from the peace much.

There were two rock fire rings at the site but I personally thought one of them was too close to a tree to be usable. The one I did use had plenty of clearance.

Plenty of flat space for a tent and some nicely spaced trees for hammock campers.

Beautiful views, but difficult to get a site

This spot has great views since half of the sites are directly along the Mogollon Rim, but ultimately it can be tough to grab a spot since first come first serve and it’s a very well known, free campsite. The first time we visited and wanted to camp here all spots were taken. There are other spots in the area to camp in the event you don’t get a spot, you just don’t get the view of being on the rim. (See my reviews if you want to know more about FR 84 in the event you don’t get a spot at FR9350.)

The second time we came up we managed to grab a spot on the rim side of the road, spot #30, around noon. We saw one or two vehicles drive up and back the dirt road with gear in the back searching for a spot within minutes of grabbing the site, so how we managed to nab it I’m not sure—the previous campers must have left minutes before we arrived.

Because some of these sites are next to the Rim without any barrier between you and the drop off, this site may not be for those with young children or pets that wish to roam. If you do come with young kids or roaming animals it may be best to look for a spot on the far side, or the side that is not directly on the Rim.

This site has two pit style toilets at the entrance; however, we bushed it. Some sites have a picnic table but some do not— if you are not in an RV or camper and require a camp table, it is best to bring one. (Our site did not have a picnic table when we visited but we did pack a camp table and were happy we did.) In addition, it sometimes has a camp host; I did not notice a camp host the first time we drove thru but there was one there the second time when we got the chance to camp here. We did not encounter any noisy neighbors while we were here. Depending on when you visits, weather may be unpredictable. While weather was perfect during our visit in early July, I have seen and heard weather can change quickly on the Rim. It is also good to know this campsite can be very dusty; so I highly recommend bringing a pack or two of baby wipes and any allergy meds you might need. A headlamp is a good idea too since you always want to be able to see at nighttime being so close to a large drop off. Last, I have Verizon and got service at our campsite.