Summerhaven , ARIZONA

Camping Arizona Summerhaven

Most Recent Summerhaven Camping Reviews
Great for Car/Van Camping, but not Trailers

We tried to camp here on a Tuesday evening (01/19/21) and all of the spots were full, to our surprise. We brought our small tow-behind popup camper up the windy road until we reached the information pull-off, and decided to unhitch there and continue up the road in search of an empty spot with just our car (Subaru Crosstrek). The road is very bumpy, with lots of potholes and washouts. I would personally not suggest towing anything up this road, unless you’re an experienced tower perhaps with OHV tires/capabilities. This would be a lovely spot, had we been car camping. The foliage is beautiful and the view of Tucson is amazing, I’d love to come back here without a trailer. These spots, although they are more like small side-of-the-road pulloffs than campsites, are definitely better suited for conversion vans or truckbed campers, as every space we saw was very uneven and sandy.

A Favorite

What this campground lacks in amenities, it makes up for in its’ superb environment. Long grass, Mountain mahogany, pinion, oak,sycamore and juniper trees create a habitat for over 100 bird varieties and species. Deer roam around inside the campground perimeter and hiking trails lead directly out to miles of Mountain trails including to the top of 9427’ Mt. Wrightson.

There are only seven back in or curb side sites, and five walk in tent sites. All have water, picnic tables and fire rings. There is a building with pít toilets.

This is not a place for big rigs or glampers.

There is a lodgings nearby where an array of feeders attracts dozens of birds for Public viewing and where there is also a gift shop.

Nice hike

This is an open desert State Park campground with a fancy, cavernous registration center you have to park and walk a few hundred yards to enter. The gift shop was closed.

The campsites are close together affording little privacy. Each has water and electric hookup, a picnic table and fire ring. The back in sites are paved and level. The bathrooms with showers were clean and well appointed.

The Camp Host greeted me once I was settled. He Wanted me to be aware of the rules and regulations of the campground. Before he left, he asked me if I was traveling alone. The campground host circled the campground in his golf cart several times each day peering into each site on his way by. The only other campground I experienced his behavior was in Lost DutchmanState Park up near Apache Junction.

I hiked the Foothills Loop which was challenging in spots especially around the apex. Walking sticks are recommended. The views were awesome.

I’d give this four stars, but I don’t like feeling surveilled

I love this place

This is a very nice RV park. When you check in you’re given a packet that includes a sheet of what to do in the area. The laundry room was clean and reasonably priced. The site are normal site plus they left an empty site between each camper.

Group camp is tight, but nice

In general its a lovely state park with good provisions. Ended up in the group site, which appears not be an actual group site, as sites are individually reservable and functions as overflow camping. You are unfortunately….right on top of each other. We had maybe 8 ft between us and the camper van next to us. That said, other campers were quiet and respectful.

Lots of trails!

The campsite was totally packed, lots of kids but a good environment. There are camp supervisors that keep the camp in line. But my favorite part was all the trails!

Excellent for RVer's, ok for tents

I thought the sites were all decent sized. Almost the entire campground is set up for RV's but most of the sites don't have anyone behind them and are spacious, so tents would be fine in those spots if you don't mind an RV a site over. The couple tent spots they have are okay. All 5 of them are right off of the road so they have more noise traffic. I think our spot in B2 was the most private and away from the road. The restrooms are clean. There's also a nice dishwashing sink. The location is ideal for exploring the west side (Tucson Mountain District) of Saguaro National Park. The stars here were great and I love the sound of the coyotes in the night.

Cactus forest indeed

Really cool place tucked away felt like a cactus tunnel and you can't beat free. Cell service was spotty to non existent.

FREE camping in Las Cienegas National Conservation Area/BLM

Dispersed camping, no amenities, but FREE.

Easy drive in on partially washboarded flat gravel road (E Yucca Farm Rd). The dirt road into Road Canyon is manageable, just drive with caution. Area is wide open and quiet with multiple spots. Did not see many people during our stay here, just a few hikers and ATV’ers, and one trailer camping down the road. As you are driving in there are several decent spots to pull off and camp. There are stone fire rings that people have made and the area is free from left litter.

Further down the dirt road you come upon a “no trespassing” sign indicating that it is State Trust land and that a permit is required to go any further, and to call 602-542-2119. Arizona Trust Land Permit is $20/year for family of 4, $15/year individual.

Saw some antelope on our way out but no other wildlife. There are free range cattle but did not see any. Nice quiet place to let the dogs run free.

There are other camping areas further up the main road.

Good Verizon and AT&T reception

Beautiful Saguaros!

Relatively easy access from main road for most any vehicle, just take it slow and watch for ruts, especially after a rain.

There are many cool places to pull off and camp, but stay on established open spaces, we saw little baby things trying to grow all over the place so don’t squash them. We arrived on a Wednesday, and it was peaceful and quiet and serene until that Friday, when a group of guffawing dude-bros took up camp across the road from us. Voices carry here, especially this type of voice. The ranger drove down Pipeline Rd in a truck to check on things several times, something I always appreciate.

You can hear road noise the closer you are to the main road (W Avra Valley Rd), especially trucks driving to and from the quarry, which can sound like thunder. Beautiful landscape, saguaros everywhere, beautiful sunrise and sunset, very peaceful despite the truck noise. If we had a rig that could make it in further we would have camped further away from the road to minimize the noise. Pretty regular traffic going in and out on Pipeline Rd, campers and ATVers.

Free range cattle also in the area.

Good verizon and AT&T service.