the dyrt
Black Canyon City, ARIZONA
Most Recent Black Canyon City Camping Reviews
Great location for exploring the area

Newer RV Park in Clarkdale, AZ. It is located right on the main road for easy access, but we did not hear road noise st night. Amazing views of Tuzigoot National Monument and the surrounding mountains, especially from the sites at the rear and west side of the park. 63 RV sites, no tent camping allowed. Sites are average size, level, gravel, with paver patios. Restrooms/showers are private, very large and clean. They have a pool, sauna, and rec/game room. No fires or charcoal grills allowed. Some sites have tables. There are trees, but they are very small. Rain Spirit is located between historic Cottonwood and Clarkdale, about 5 miles from Jerome, and 20 miles from Sedona. Great restaurants, wineries and shops in Cottonwood are close by.

Crowded but fun

This campground has tons of amenities and is not far at all from downtown Prescott. It seemed pretty crowded when we went, so we actually hiked around a bit to find a little more seclusion. Amenities were good and plenty of activities.

Beautiful lake views

We were supposed to be in site 173 at the Desert Tortoise campground in Lake Pleasant Regional Park. However, I’m not sure how ANY RV could possibly get in that site! The incline is ridiculous and our 15,000 pound fifth wheel would certainly roll into the lake! We ended up changing to a shoreline campsite. Of course, they made us pay a change fee. You can park pretty much anywhere along the shore. Most of the spaces were filled even though it was only 1 pm (check in time). We found a nice spot on the hill with a beautiful view of the lake. I think we got lucky because they are still letting people in for shoreline camping seven hours later and it’s full!

Nice USFS campground

Nice sites. Nice layout. Pretty level site for RV. Fire ring and picnic tables. Quiet but we’ll see over the weekend when they are full.

Arid with large view

We were in the tent loop - the loop in the upper part of the campground. This loop has the advantage of a larger view…although little respite from the sun. A busy campground so reservations were necessary in April. Enjoyed the convenience of being near Cottonwood which worked well as we were using this stop as a respite and transition between different parts of our trip.

National Forest and Ponderosa Pines

We visited in April. We were the only tent on our loop during the week and it was only an issue in that the RV's all used their generators at times throughout the day - particularly early morning and dinner time - On the weekend it was all reserved and our loop turned into all tenters - it was SO quiet. This was not necessarily true of the other loops that we heard in the distance. Our site #7 was fine for a tent - nice views to an open area with Ponderosa Pines shading the site and also allowing enough sun in to use our solar chargers. There are other better tent sites - #8 right next to us was wonderfully private. One can always hear the traffic noise of Highway 89 - particularly the motorcycles. The campground has recently been logged in all the surrounds - kind of weird… but understand. The location of the campground is close to Prescott which makes it very convenient if you're wanting to take advantage of Prescott offerings. The trails in our immediate area were closed because of the logging. Although not really nearby … but for us from the midwest it was worth the trip … take the 40 mile trip to Arcosanti Urban Laboratory off of I-17 - good to step out of ones comfort zone!

Awesome place for the whole family

We have been here twice and will continue to come back. Our family is a dispersed camping kinda family and this place was perfect. The first time we came in June 2018 we were definitely surprised at how close you can camp to the water, which was perfect as we bring kayaks, paddle boards, and a canoe in tow with such a big family. Even on a crowded holiday weekend it was still fun. I mean you do get the loud music that can get a little on the repetitive side after a while, but all in all people were polite. Even as first timers with the water level so low it made maneuvering our van easy and freed up a lot of space to camp.

Our second trip, the weekend of 3/30/19 was amazing and completely different from our first which made for a great experience. The water levels are very high and that made shore camping challenging. But with some patience, scouting, and luck we happened across a polite couple that were about to leave and we moved right in. My kids love this place and we have tons of great memories to keep and share. Can’t wait to get back out here next weekend.

Really nice, not level

Nice sites, small campground. Most sites are not level. There are a few that can accomodate a class A. You can get water and dump at Fast Mart 76 about 9 miles away. I would stay here again. It is very peaceful. Verizon cell service is good with a wifi booster, very little at&t coverage.

Ranger Review: AfterShokz Trekz Air at Fremont Saddle Campground

Campground Review: Ill start off by mentioning that this is a backcountry site in the desert and will require some serious hiking to get to. Plan ahead before camping here since you will need to bring in all your water and temperatures fluctuate widely depending on the time of year. Ok now on to why I loved this site!

The Fremont Saddle is located about 2.5 miles in on the Peralta trail and follows a pretty moderate to challenging climb up the mountain. Right at the campground you can see an incredible view of several of the nearby peaks and explore further onto several other branching trails. The campground itself is not well defined since this is a dispersed site though there is a single campfire ring that someone built right off the trail. (I believe fires are discouraged here however) The park rule for camping is that you can set up your tent anywhere that is off the trail (there is a distance specified at the trailhead). Check out my photos of the trailhead signs for more info.

There aren’t any water sources available so make sure to pack in whatever you will need and consider that it can get very dry during the day so you will be drinking a lot. Give yourself enough time at the campground so that you can set up and explore the area since it is incredibly beautiful. One of my favorite things about this site is that you can get 360 views at different points so you could have an amazing sunrise and sunset.

Overall, this is by far the best site I came across while hiking the Peralta Trail and is well worth the challenging trek to get here. Just remember to be prepared and give yourself plenty of time.

……………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to try out new and interesting products at campgrounds I visit. On this trip, I tried out the AfterShokz Trekz Air bone conduction headphones. My takeaways from using the open ear headphones are:

1. Hear the world: One of the things that really got me excited about these headphones right off the bat was the ability to her what is going on around you while listening to your music. My wife and I are constantly out doing physical activity including runnings biking, hiking, climbing, and kayaking. For many of these activities hearing your surroundings can be a vital factor and can limit the ability to listen to music. These headphones are game changers and perform incredibly in this role. It often sounds like your music is playing on a speaker while wearing them and it was a shock the first time I tried them out. While wearing the Trekz Airs I was able to have a conversation with my brother hiking next to me and could easily tell when another hiker wanted to pass.
  2. Comfort: since these heaphones sit on the bones in front of your ear canal you would expect them to put pressure on your head and be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. However, I found than to be even less noticable on my head than my in ear headphones which bother me after an hour or so. They have nice pads which allow them to rest comfortably and the design is amazing how they lightly rest on your ears without squeezing your head.
  3. Sound quality: A major concern with using bone conduction is that the quality, depth, and volume will be unacceptable. I tested this out on the Airs by playing a variety of different music styles in different environments and while completing different activities. Overall, I was able to achieve rich, quality sound consistently. The one challenge I found was in noisy environments where I wasn't moving and getting the volume up meant feeling the vibrations. However, this is not what they were engineered far and when the volume is up while running I am unable to feel the vibration. Also, they stay in place when you move around so the sound stays consistent throughout your listening.

Overall, I would say these headphones are well worth the value and an amazing addition not only to your camping gear but also perfect for any other high intensity activities. They have a long lasting charge, great sound, and are comfortable to wear for hours on end. I liked the headphones after trying them out that I ended up buying a second pair for my wife. I can’t recommend these headphones enough.

Oasis in Prescott

Great place. Make reservations. Excellent staff..

Great little campground on the 305 trail

Great campground with the Homestead trail running through it. You can hike or bike all day or kayak on Lynx Lake. The sites are varying sizes so read the description and look on the map if you're bringing an RV. Bring your own shade as many spots get full fun. This campground is close to town and a great spot for families.

Lovely campground close to town

This is a very pretty campground with easy access to the town of Prescott. Hiking and biking trails run right through the campground. Many sites have big boulders that kids love to play on. There is some road noise but this is one of our favorite campgrounds. I've camped there in spring, summer and fall.

Bugs and bees but easy lake access.

Bugs, bees and trash seem to be more prevalent than normal but you can find easy access to the shoreline for fishing or camping. You need a permit to visit which can be purchased at the Marina. If you’re not sure where to start, I recommend the flats or the yellow cliffs (you’ll see the signs). Great fishing lake! The drive is beautiful and towns of Carefree and Cave Creek are pleasant and unique. If you go in monsoon season, you’re sure to see some amazing skies! Cell service is intermittent.

Desert Camping With Great Hiking

If you like rock scrambling there is plenty of that at the White Tank Mountain Regional Park. Staying here you will find that hiking is your major focus as typical desert style camping is made special by the excitement of the trails around you.

The family campground is not one of the largest campgrounds you will find in this region but it fair sized. Spaces are large and spread out making it a great fit for tent campers or RV campers.

When I visited I stayed in campsite 29, on the top of the far side of the loop on the one way drive in. I was a few hundred yards from the restroom facility on a back in space which outlooked toward the desert entirely. The outer ring of the loop, you can literally hike right out of your campsite and be in the middle of everything. I will say however that had I have known a bit more about the area before visiting I probably would have selected sites 19 or 20 which are literally on the hiking loop for Ironwood.

My campsite was pretty typical with a rocky flat area to set up my tent, a grill and picnic table. My site had no shade which was ok when I visited in early spring but would have been way to hot to have stayed here during late spring or summer. This was considered to be a developed site which was $32 a night but I managed to somehow get it for a semi-developed price of $22, still not sure how that happened. LUCKY ME!!

While out here it was truly all about the hiking!! There were over 10 trails which circled and wound around ranging in intensity and distance for any skill level. I tackled the moderate ironwood trail which runs into the Ford Trail, one of the longest trails at the park. I didn't do the entire Ford Trail and instead cut over to another trail at an intersection which looped back into camp. From there I ended up driving to another trailhead, Mule Deer, and moving on from there because it hiked by the nature center.

The nature center here was very cool and I always recommend stopping in if there is one available, if nothing else to get a better idea of what kind of wildlife to watch out for in the area you are visiting.

TIPS:

• Bring lots of water. Though there are fresh water stations around, the water seemed to have an odd taste to me, I would recommend bringing water especially if you are sensitive to tastes.

• Check out the Ford Canyon or Goat Camp trails if you are really into a challenge. These have a lot of rock scrambling and some of the highest heights in the park. If you want an easy hike with a great view check out the Waterfall Canyon Trail.

National Forest Campground

Nice spot . No hook ups ,full bath and showers .Very nice and quiet but noisy on weekends. Helpful staff.

Bring water and take a hike

This area is best for its hiking and photo ops, in my humble opinion. As with most desert campgrounds in Arizona, there is not much privacy between the sites but take advantage of the beauty. The waterfall trail is an easy hike and very doable with kids. You can only bring a stroller so far unless it's an off-roading stroller but the hike is worth it (especially if there's water flowing). There's a playground across from the trailhead in case all else fails and someone stays behind with he little ones. Restrooms are thoughtfully placed here. DO watch for rattle snakes on this trail and all for that matter. Also, bring a lot of water and then some. Stop at the Visitor Center and library on your way in. You're not far removed from civilization so anything you need is just a brief drive away.

You're not there for the camping

If the sites had a little more privacy, I'd give five stars. Whenever I take my family, I remind myself I'm not there for the actual tent camping, I'm there for everything else the state park offers. There are about eight small cabins as well. This park offers a much needed break from the Arizona heat in the spring and summer months. The "lakes" are really more like ponds but plenty large enough to fish in as is the Verde River, running through the park. Make sure to go down and take a dip during the warm seasons. They've recently improved the playground for young ones and offer horseback riding as well. Facilities are always clean. If you're tired of camping food, drive down the road to Cottonwood and be sure to visit Larry's Antiques (if you're into that of course).

Desert Oasis

You can camp right on the shore at this lake or choose a designated camp site but know you won’t have any privacy. This is generally a very popular place so avoid in peak season if you’re looking for solitude. Boat rentals are available and you’ll have several docking options. Take one of the hiking trails offering gorgeous views of desert landscape and blue lake water. You’ll also usually spot a few wild burros (donkeys). Great recreation lake.

Ranger Review: INA389 INNO Bike Rack at Turf Trailer Lodge

TO CLARIFY: The two stars is for the CAMPGROUND, not the Bike Rack.  The Bike Rack receives 5 stars.

Campground Review

If you want to LIVE somewhere in an RV or Mobile Home, this is a good place for you, possibly.  If you are a camper for a night or two, this is not your spot.

This “campground” is in the middle of a concrete jungle and does not have greenery, or a playground, or any amenities.

There is electric and water hookups at each site.  Most of the sites were occupied but there were a couple vacant spaces.

Again, not for camping.  This is for residing in.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products for free in exchange for my honest review.  This is one such product:

It was really fun to take the INNO INA389 Tire Hold II Bike Rack out for a spin.  My husband and I decided to install it without looking at the instructions to see how easy and intuitive the set up was.  The answer: very easy and intuitive! After we were done hooking it on, we looked at the instructions and we had done it 100% correctly.

Basically you have to have an existing roof rails on your car, and then this just easily pops right on.  You latch the front and back to your rails, then heft the bike up (the hardest part of the whole process; you have to be strong enough to lift a bike onto a car) and press the front and back loops into place and boom!  You’re done! It was as easy as that.

We started out driving cautiously, since we’d never used a rooftop rack before, but quickly became comfortable and knew it would stay firm.  We took surface streets to the campground to be sure it was safe, and the highway home since we knew it was perfect.

I highly recommend this rack if you like to take your bike out places and still have easy access to your trunk.  Easy to install and easy to remove. It even has a key-lock on the top so the bike can’t be stolen.

Great product!

Great Fall Getaway

We wanted one last tent camping trip before it got to cold and chose a quick trip up to Camp Verde. (We’re from Phoenix) It was a short hour and a half drive up the 17. Clear Creek Campground is about a 10 min drive passed Camp Verde, so if you forget any supplies it’s a quick trip into town. The Campground itself is pretty wide open, which is not my cup of tea normally but we found a cute spot that is right next to the exit. It’s great! It’s totally hidden and separated from the rest of the camp. Bathrooms were clean, plenty of water pumps and the host is super on top of things. We had issues with some other rude campers ,so beware. I have a feeling it’s an amateur campground, so if it’s summer and you want peace and quiet, this is not the place. Our timing was great Tue-Thur, Oct 9th thru the 12th. The Creek is just across the dirt road. It’s so peaceful and beautiful! Has a nice little trail that runs next to the creek.

Horse camp. No horse, no camping

We have stayed here 2 years in a row now. Very nice camp ground but it is dry camping. They have a high line and 1 pen at each site. We take portable panels also due to traveling with 2 horses. Take some way of hauling water to your camp site, there are several water Fawcett for filling but not close to all sites. Nice trail riding. Take note that if you don't have a horse with you, you will not be able to stay there.

Nice place to stay

I am not sure where the pictures posted here are from but it is definitely not from this campground.

It is a nice little campground with a pool and small launder mat room. Bathrooms are always clean. The spaces are close together so if you are spot picky (want more of a personal space feel) you will need to get recommendations or visit it to mark your spots.

Saturday nights include karaoke by the pool or live cover band. My kids enjoy staying here but be warned that "resort" should be taken lightly. There is a "playground" which consists of a metal swing set, uncovered and a small basketball court. This is also right near the dog pin area.

You are off a major road so near by shopping is a breeze but you will not be forced to hear the traffic so no worries there.

Really nice clean campground

Our family of 7 went camping with our neighbors who are a family of 6, needless to say we needed a lot of room. The only downside to these sites was that our tents were too big to fit on the tent pad! BUT….we got two sites next to each other and were able to eat and we put the tents else where and made one big camp site and it was great! The grounds are impeccably clean!!! The bathroom and shower were warm and clean and there was even a deep sink at the back of the bathrooms! There was also a community spigot in the tent area so that you didn’t have to go all the way to the bathroom! We did a short day hike and the trails were kept nicely as well!

Beautiful views

We arrived at this campground at night. It wasn’t hard to find and we went camping in August. The weather wasn’t too hot but not too cold either. Beware of the bugs at night!!! There are a ton of moths and other flying bugs that will totally swarm you at this campground. Beware of tarantulas walking through the camp ground.

Beautiful campground

Campground is extremely clean, bathrooms were very nice. Family was able to escape the heat of Phoenix without traveling very far. It was nice to take a little trip into Jerome and see such a unique town built right into the mountain.

Great Group Camp Ground Area

It hasThis is another great group camp ground area. I have camped as well as particpated in events hosted here at this campground. It has beautiful cabins and a large eating space.

Great Cabin for Church Camp

My church took my youth group from my church to this campground plenty of times, and it is a great place to hold groups from 5-30. Multiple cabins, various sizes.

Good Hike

This is a good hike. It has some great views of Prescott and the surrounding area. I didn't get any pictures while on the hike itself, but I got some on Senator Highway.

Nice and plenty of space

Had a blast driving up to Prescott for the weekend with friends, and we got lucky that we got to have a fire since Prescott has had a lot of fire problems.

Beautiful Views

Great little place to camp near Phoenix. The lake is beautiful and I recommend taking the Roadrunner hike -- even easy for kids!