the dyrt
About Vedauwoo Campground
The campground is composed of two loops, winding around the boulders, slabs and cliffs of the Vedauwoo rock formation which comprises 10 square miles of weathered Sherman granite.  There are 28 campsites with tables, fire rings, trash pick up and vault toilets.  This area is constructed to blend in with the natural beauty of the surroundings.  The vegetation is a variety of Limber pine, Engleman spruce, Douglas fir and Aspen. The general area was once used as a hideout for outlaws. Native Americans thought playful spirits piled up the boulders. All the tent sites are walk-ins and some of them are so secluded, one might feel the "outlaw's spirit."   There is access to rock climbing and a nature trail through the rocks. It is located in the Pole Mountain area and is managed by the Laramie Ranger District.
National Forest
No Showers
No WiFi
Vedauwoo Campground is located in Wyoming
Directions
From Laramie, take Interstate 80 east 15.8 miles to Vedauwoo Road/ exit 329. Exit and go to stop sign; turn left onto Vedauwoo Rd. and go 1.2 miles. Turn left at sign and go 0.3 miles to campground.
15 Reviews of Vedauwoo Campground
Easy Escape for 3/4 of the year

This is our go to campground coming from Denver. It's only 1.5 hours away and it offers biking, hiking, and climbing galore. We love to come in the Fall when the Aspens are changing and we always find ourselves pretty secluded here. There are other people in the sites but we haven't felt overrun yet.

Van Camper 2018

awesome campground with vault toilets, fire ring and picnic tables. BRING WATER.

I’m not a climber but enjoyed watching others.

Great campground

The campground was great overall and well maintained. Showed up to it and we did find a lot of trash scattered. Other than that it was close to some great climbing and hiking.

Ranger Review: ICEMULE Cooler at Vedauwoo Campground

This place is fantastic and easy to get to. Located right off I-80 and less than 20 miles from Laramie WY.

Campground Review: We arrived on the Friday afternoon of Father’s Day weekend, and there were a few tent sites available. All sites are $10.00-- If just visiting the park, there is a $5.00 day use fee. There are two loops that both accommodate large RV's down to tents. We chose a pack-in tent site that was down a trail about an 1/8 mile surrounded by the granite rock formations the area is know for. It was kind of tucked away from the rest of the campers in the area. Even way back in here, they had a very nice picnic table and metal fire rings with a grill for use. The campground was very clean. In the main area, there are restrooms and drinking water available. The camp host was very helpful with directions. (wish I could recall his name) He gave us some trail maps of the area. There are multiple mountain biking trails which we had a ball exploring. They are open to hikers and horseback riders as well so be aware and be courteous. The area is very well known for off-width rock climbing. There Is a wall of sport climbing and many boulder projects. Be aware the granite can flake off so use established routes.

Restrooms were tidy and well stocked with TP. there is water available near the restroom area.

The Badger Creek Fire was currently burning to the south causing a lot of smoke in the area. There was not a fire ban at the time we visited.

There Is free dispersed camping nearby. See Vedauwoo Road Dispersed Camping for my review of that area.

Gear Review: Occasionally the Dyrt will offer gear to test out and demo on a camping trip. I was lucky to have the opportunity to test and review theICEMULE Pro size Large 23L backpack cooler https://icemulecoolers.com/collections/pro-coolers/products/the-icemule-pro-large This cooler is amazing! I was skeptical at first. I let my teenage daughter use it prior to this trip on a beach outing and it is now the new favorite cooler for these girls! They raved about it! The ICEMULE Pro 23L held 10 pounds of ice and 10+ beverages and our food that needed kept cold. There was still ice In the bottom 2 1/2 days later when we returned home. The website says this will hold an 18 pack of beer, I don’t doubt that. Since we were camped at a pack In site, being able to pack In our cold stuff like a backpack was a great feature! We were even able to pack everything out between the two of us In just one trip! Normally a cooler of this capacity would require a singe trip for 1 or possibly 2 people. The cooler seals by rolling the opening down and buckling it closed. No zippers or latches. There is an air vent you can blow into to create additional insulation for the cooler. The cooler also folds/rolls down to a compact size when not in use. This cooler is easy to use, a dream to pack anywhere you need a cooler, and most Importantly: keeps stuff COLD! This is now an every trip favorite item! And they are currently on sale (20% off!) on the ICEMULE website!

Cold in Oct - Dispersed Camping in Medicine Bow

Near the beehive climbing area, there is free dispersed camping.

We stayed here 2 nights, frost on the ground in the mornings. A short approach to climbing, about 15 minutes to the crag. We shared the crag with a outdoor school program.

We ran into some hunters while camping here, but had no issues.

Climbing Mecca

Love Vedawoo! Easy drive from Denver and a climbers paradise. For fewer crowds drive past the Campground and dispersed camp on national forest land. Check out Beehive Buttress one exit farther if you are a sport climber!

Neat

Great for hiking and light rock climbing

Ranger Review: Mountain House Breakfast Skillet, Biscuits and Gravy at Vedauwoo Campground, WY

Campsite Review

This place is as advertised, and that's a good thing. All of these 28 sites are first come, first serve and since it is so conveniently located off I-80 and only 20 miles west of I-25, it's a wonderful spot to camp that's not hard to get to. There is a welcome area right off the highway with information on the surrounding hiking and bouldering opportunities, with maps included. I was rained and hailed on the night I stayed and into the next morning, so I wasn't able to take advantage of the hiking options, but the scenery of this place is very picture worthy and campsites are dispersed well enough so even when this campground is near capacity, you'd still feel like you've got privacy.

There are bathrooms (outhouses) with TP and places for drinking water. Also dumpsters that can lock, nice for keeping wildlife at bay. Every site has your fire pit and picnic table, with the added feature of a BBQ grill. Bring cash so you can pay the site fees, which start at $10/night.

Gear Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products from time to time - today I am testing new(er) flavors from Mountain House, Breakfast Skillet and Biscuits and Gravy. I've eaten a lot of Mountain House flavors over the years, and one thing remains constant - they make great freeze dried meals. The other constant is I'm always having them when I'm either backpacking, it's cold and raining, I'm starving, or all of those things at the same time because they're quick and easy to make and there's virtually no clean up. Campers and trippers know all food tastes better as you become more miserable, so while I love the food, I should really try one of these when it's nice and sunny outside.

Breakfast Skillet: 5 out of 5. Good ratio of egg, hash, and veggies. They even get you started with some salt and pepper spice taste to go with the chewy eggs and hash. Only thing missing was the taste of burnt skillet, which is probably a good thing. This meal was gone in no time.

Biscuits and Gravy: 4 out of 5. It's not the most appealing looking from the flavor Rolodex, but go with your gut and chow down. It's a little on the salty side, but it still fills you up. I do recommend taking the directions' advice and after a few minutes open up the package to stir around the contents. I thought shaking it in the bag would do, but some of the biscuit pieces are large and won't cook properly without the actual stirring from a fork/spoon.

Pro Tip: The bags seal really well, and when I'm cold I like to place them in my jacket or in my hands to help give me some warmth while it cooks.

Amazing bouldering opportunities for a novice and even for experienced!

My aunt and uncle live in Laramie, WY, just a short drive from Vedauwoo. Boy does that make me lucky! This park is great. The trail system isn't very extensive and people aren't the greatest about not leaving garbage up on the rocks, but if you have even the slightest ability to clime up some boulders it is worth a trip. The rocks are massive and if you climb up you are rewarded with some incredible views. It is said the rocks are millions of years old and years and years of rainfall on the rocks have smoothed and rounded them off. There are plenty of sites and picnic tables to break for lunch. Turtle Rock trail is really nice and about 2 hours with a family. This is my favorite park in that section of the state.

Near CO/WY border, great geology

If you’re driving up from Colorado Springs, etc. on the way to Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. this is a nice simple place (convenient to the highway) to stay to avoid being stuck in the car forever. The Medicine Bow National Forest deserves a dedicated trip of its own though! The main feature here is the rocks and there are a few trails that allow you to explore them. We saw moose scat and a (harmless) rat snake not far from the campground. Nice picnic tables to choose from. All the campsites we saw (and used) were fairly open but shady. The views from the campground are excellent. On the way in, stop at the information board and pick up a free paper map. This area, like many parks out west, have complex networks of dirt roads, letting you explore more and really feel like you’re in the backcountry.