The best BOAT IN camping near
Graux , WEST VIRGINIA

Most Recent Graux Camping Reviews
Huge campground

4 separate areas including a waterfront area. Centrally located small pool, food vendor and mini golf. Bring a boat! Full marina as well. Great beach area and boat mooring everywhere. Long trails are fantastic

Nice!

Super friendly camp host. He met us and drove us to the camp park because it was so dark. Spacious sites, and he is making amazing improvements to the park. Beautiful river setting.

Free Free

I don’t have a lot to add to the other reviews, yes, it’s very close to a roadway and train tracks, but it’s free!

Gorgeous View and Next to River

Amazing!!! Waking up with the sound of birds and water it’s just amazing! Beautiful campground ⛺️ Near the falls and has a boat ramp right next to it!

Near boat ramp

So I came to this campground because it’s free. I arrived and found the dump station and filled my water tank with potable water, when I moved onto the three spots available (only one was taken) I read the sign that clearly says only RV’s and Trailers allowed and all other will be towed at owners expense. well I have an all white converted sprinter and from the outside it just looks like a working van. Although I can prove that my van is an RV I didn’t feel like waking up in the middle of the night on a moving van that is being towed, sooo just in case I left and drive 20 min to Cabelas.

Not too impressed

Just stayed here for one night with our 5th wheel when traveling home. I wasn’t too impressed. I thought it was expensive. The site was difficult to back into because everything was so narrow. I like to have a little bit of space when camping, but there were tent campers all around us. My surgeguard shut off the power in the evening due to high voltage. It was showing 137 volts at one time. I was not impressed and most likely won’t be back.

Absolutely stunning views

Probably the best view I ever had traveling in the RV. This place has 39 full hookup sites right on New River. It's small and not much to it but still a nice place to stay. There is a small playground, bathroom/laundry house and an off that sells fishing supplies. You can recycle aluminum cans here (wish more campgrounds had recycling). Main downside for us is Verizon service is terrible. Perfect for the weekend getaway but not during work hours. AT&T is flawless though. It was raining the first few days we were here and it didn't get disgustingly muddy. Neighboring towns to the east are pretty run down but further west are thriving. Camp owners are lovely people too. Would totally stay again. Walking distance to a market that want really stocked well, mostly empty shelves (granted we were also here in covid times so that might be a factor) and a Dollar General/CVS.

Large Family-Friendly Campground

Bulltown Campground offers a couple hundred spaces, multiple playgrounds, and clean restrooms on the edge of Burnsville Lake, managed by the U-S Army Corps of Engineers. This area is popular for camping, boating, swimming, hiking, and hunting during the deer season.
     It was a beautiful place to camp in the month of October with the fall leaf colors reflected on the surface of the lake. I imagine it could be a bit of zoo during the peak summer months because nearly ever camper in the off-season arrived in a sizeable RV with dogs, children or both.
     Loop A and B are closed in the off-season and all other spaces are first-come, first serve. There’s a self-serve kiosk where you check-in and pay with cash or check. The bulletin board was loaded with lots of helpful posts, including a “boil water” warning on the night I was there.
     I was camping in my van and found a nice shady spot next to Burnsville Lake where I easily dropped my kayak into the water for a peaceful paddle. I was parked next to a group of hunters who bagged a couple of does during the bow season. I imagine the gun season could get a bit noisy. Wear orange, or bright colors if you’re hiking outside the “safety zone” during WV’s hunting season .  The 2020 bow season runs from September 26th to December 31st. The buck firearm season runs from November 23rd to December 6th.
     I particularly enjoyed visiting the nearby Bulltown Historic District, which is the location of a Civil Battle War battle where Confederate and Union soldiers fought to control a critical supply route, including a covered bridge over the Little Kanawha River. You can check out historic structures on the site and hike to the top of the hill where the Union soldiers ultimately withstood the Confederate attack. Pre-covid, there was a reenactment of the battle every other October. I picked up a map for the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike Trail, but found the more remote sections of the trail poorly marked. I didn’t see any official parking lots or trail markers, but I did see a lot of “private property” signs, so I was hesitant to accidentally trespass on a local landowner’s property. I’m guessing some of the access points may have been wiped out by pipeline construction… another reason not to anger the locals who may not be happy with this “invasion.”

Absolutely stunning views

Friendly staff, beautiful views

I wish I could give more stars, but the campground itself is just okay while everything around it is amazing.

Pros: right on the river, convenient to everything (walking distance to Family Dollar and a scenic waterfall), staff super helpful and nice, full hookups

Cons: campsites are right on top of one another (especially on the riverside - there’s a few that are sideways and a little better), it’s gravel and washout a little so when it rains it gets to be a muddy mess, the WiFi is flakey (but if you could connect it was good)

Pro/con: the railroad is right across the river, so pretty nice to watch but at night it can be a little loud if you need silence to sleep.