Clear Lake, WASHINGTON

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Clear Lake Camping Reviews
Kayak in to this tiny site

Accessible from only human powered or wind powered boats (or if you are really ambitious, at super low tide, you can wade over from Pearl Island). Reservations are required to camp in either of the two group sites. I was here with a group with a kayak outfitter on a multi-day trip. The island is really small- only one acre! There is no water here (ironic when you are surrounded by water), and you need to pack out your trash (there is a compost bin), but there is a vault toilet (pretty smelly, but better than nothing!). There are a few trees you can hang a hammock from, but not many. We had to paddle to Pearl Island to scrounge for driftwood for a fire. We were there just before the fourth of July, so we were able to see some local fireworks, and of course there was lots of sea plane noise during the day. Saw some harbor seals and lots of birds, and saw bald eagles on the paddle over.

Reserve ahead of time

Great views. Plenty to do: walk-on ferry to port Townsend, beach comb, fly kites, explore the lighthouse/bunkers. It’s a very popular site, even year round. Be sure to reserve your site well in advance.

NW Camping year 'round

We camp here at least twice per year. You can reserve online at the state parks website months in advance (dont expect to get in last minute). Currently the upper campground is under construction, so spaces are limited. We love the upper bunkers, the views, the beach, and the history. No water hookups in winter. Great places for all ages!

Great paddle-in site

This is a great boat-in-only site. No running water but vault toilets. No reservations. Rack for kayaks above high tide. Nice alternative to the Oak Bay sites at Pt. Hadlock to the west. Open all year.

Beautiful trees but use has been restricted - no camping or beach access

This is a beautiful park overlooking the water. The trees are amazing, including some very big old-growth cedars. It is open for day use, but unfortunately it has been closed to overnight camping due to what they're describing as "tree diseases that may lead to tree falls." Beach access also has been limited due to erosion of the bluffs. It's still open for day use/picnicking.

Good stop for a night!

This is a good campground to pitch your tent for a night, if you need a place to stay. The bathrooms and showers are clean and the patrons are pleasant.

I recommend picking a site away from the main road (Meridian, very noisy at most hours) and you should be a happy camper!

We only stayed overnight. Nice. Lots of places to walk my dogs.

Magical

I have camped here twice, once on upper campgrounds and most recently the lower loop. We stayed in #83 in the lower loop and loved it. Nice spacious site with our trailer and slightly wooded for privacy with a view of the water. The bathroom and shower facilities are clean and warm. Nice playground for kids and beaches to explore. Tons of old war bunkers as well. About 35 minutes to port Townsend for a good meal and shopping. Highly recommend this campground. Books up fast! Caution with the upper campground. We did tent camping in the summer and our site was completely dirt. We ended up very dusty and dirty and it was a little out of control and we just succumbed to being dirty and dusty. Not all sites are that way but if we had it to do over we would be more careful.

Love it!

Had a wonderful stay! We were there the last weekend of the season. Will 100% be back when it is open again. We loved hiking around with our kids and roaming the beach exploring!

Hike into

My first ever solo trip and of course, I chose as far away from home in the US I could. This campground was the first I visited, I loved the fact I could reserve it only months in advance through recreation.gov, which eased my anxiety of traveling alone. No worries about getting there and not having a site to stay on. I chose the hike to site because I wanted a challenge and I’d never stayed at a campground that offered hike to sites before. It was a pleasantly short walk to my site. Upon arrival I noticed the platform for my tent, a picnic table and a fire pit. The site was divided from he nearby sites with trees and bushes which was really nice. The trails around the campground were amazing, some went into the forest and some went into the small “vintage” town of Newhalem which I thought was very quaint and neat. Another path from the hike to sites was to the river which I could fairly hear from my tent. This campground was super nice and clean and if I ever go back to North Cascades again, I’ll more than like stay here again.