Upper Brandon , VIRGINIA

Most Recent Upper Brandon Camping Reviews
Lovey little campground on the river

This campground is lovely. It’s on Gordon Creek which flows into the Chickahominy- able to rent kayaks, has a playground, a pool, and nesting ospreys, a bald eagle/s can be seen. Undergoing some renovations but still a nice campground. I’d go back.

Extenuating circumstances

We arrived on opening day (March 19, 2021) for the season. They had unfortunately been a victim of the rain and the main road to the campground had washed out. Alternative routes were set up to enter and exit. I understand from reading other reviews that they can routinely have problems when it rains . We were placed in a small site in front of the check in location. We were pre assigned a site and not given a choice. The mud and puddles were so bad we couldn’t locate the sewer connection. But the next day they came over and found it for us and leveled out some gravel piles that had been dumped on the site. The site was level and gravel. A picnic table and fire ring was available. The roads are a bit narrow and there are lots of trees. Plenty of nice area to walk our dog. We didn’t use or even go in the bathhouses so can’t comment on those. All in all it was okay… as long as it doesn’t rain. It appeared there were some full time cabin residents and camper residents as well. Location was great and we loved going into Colonial Williamsburg from here.

Great park for every day

Nice walking trails for younger kids and easy access from both sides or town me an my son come here all the time

Impressed

Spent Halloween here on a last minute reservation and man were we happy! This campsite is remote to the rest of VA for the most part, but hey isn’t that what camping is all about? Site #16 was perfect. It was gravel site that was level and very well maintained. Possibly our favorite campground in a VA State Park so far, it was that great of an experience. Come stocked with food and water since I don’t think there’s any large food markets that are close by (I could be wrong). We had water hookups and electric. They also have firewood sold at the campground that they sell on the honor system.

Middle of nowhere

Nice get-away from it all campground. Level sites, farmland all around. Well maintained, quiet campground.

Quiet, spacious and heavily wooded sites

We stayed at site D100 for 10 days. The sites are quiet, very spacious, nicely spaced, some surprisingly so, but many are deceptively unlevel, particularly on the outside of the loops, and are heavily wooded. Some loops are primitive, some have only 20A service and some have 30A service and water hookup. There are no sewer hookups, but there is a dump station. There are a lot of low hanging branches on the roads through the park and it is showing some signs of age. There is some road noise from I 64, but not too bad if you stay deeper into the park and away from the lake. AT&T had 2 bars and 6 MB/s w/o a booster, 3 bars and 8 MB/s with it. There is no satellite coverage due to the heavy tree canopy. OTA TV was descent using an external omni antenna. There is no WiFi. We had the place pretty much to ourselves during the week, but the weekend did get busy. There is a very nice network of trails, most if not all were leashed dog friendly. The park is a civil war historic site and is close to a lot of other historic places.

Quiet and peaceful!

Only 30 sites, all which have electric/water hookup. We’ve been here twice now, once with an RV and once in a tent. Most sites are shady and level, with lots of space between. The park rangers are friendly and knowledgeable, and there is a LOT to do. Beautiful hikes and bike trails, a small beach for the kids to splash in. We stayed in site 20, with friends across the way in 11, and it was a great way to see friends, but also have privacy. Sites 19 and 20 would be great buddy sites as well. We love it there!

Great campground close to historic sites

If you like a campground with alot of trees and water, this is a good place. Camped with our travel trailer so did not use or visit the restrooms or showers. Numerous great sites to see within an hours drive.

Adorable

I used to live by this park and I visited it all the time with my cousins as kids! There are a couple playgrounds, swing sets, and tons of open areas for children to enjoy. The trails are nice and fairly well kept. The little sandy beach is by far my favorite part of the park though! The water is shallow and warm in the summer. In fact, the water is so shallow that you can wade almost 400 meters out or more! There are often crabs, small fish, and sometimes jellyfish floating about. There is always cool driftwood and shells to collect along the sand. Belle Isle is a great place to visit for day trips or over night camping! I’d definitely recommend it to anyone in the area that wants to get a small taste of the Chesapeake Bay and it’s wildlife and plants.

Beware of ticks in the summer

We were pleasantly surprised how nice this campground is. It's nice and wooded and very pretty! We had to get an electric site even though we are tent campers but there weren't too many RV's around. But I have to say this campground is literally crawling with ticks. They were everywhere, all over the tent, chairs, and all our other equipment. I've never seen so many in my life. So be prepared!

Great hiking here! And a fabulous playground for the kids!