The best WALK IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Stringtown Camping Reviews
Great primitive campground!

We brought our small Aliner camper here to primitive camp for the first time and we couldn’t have picked a better place! The campsites have been redone in the last couple of years. Fresh gravel and wooden railing. The bathhouse is clean and easy access from all campsites.

There is a small playground close to the entrance. Lots of hiking trails and a fire tower that you can climb! We love the boardwalk trail! Unfortunately, this is our second time to visit the park and the visitors center has been closed both times. Kayaks and fishing boats available for rent.

You can’t go wrong tent camping or bringing a small RV here!

Bonus tip: This is a dark sky area, so come during the new moon phase for views of the Milky Way!

Little slice of heaven

After the Covid lockdowns, this was the perfect getaway for our family. The bathrooms were clean, the campsites were a good size and well shaded.  We went to the beach at Cub Lake for hours every day!  There were several playgrounds around the campgrounds, I'm sure we tried them all.  We had an electric site around the corner from the beach, near an older playground and bathrooms.  The lake is BEAUTIFUL!  The cabins looked wonderful, too. We liked that they had both a fire ring and grill.  The lake water is pretty dirty, but we had plenty of fun. There was also a nice visitor's center and walking trails.

Great family place to camp

Spent 3 nights here in December, 9-12th. Only half the camp sights were open, loop 1 was closed, but that's normal for the season. There's plenty to do here, trails to hike, sights to see. Good restaurant, an old mill, waterfalls, and playgrounds for the kids. Has 50, 30, and 20 amp electric hookups and water at all sights, plus fire ring and table. Dump station in loop 2. Clean restrooms and showers are available. Sites are all paved and level, decent separation. Nice rolling hills all around, and lots of wildlife.

Decent spot on the lake

Camped here on Christmas Day 2020. It was very quiet and a little windy. I was the only camper but it’s on a disc golf course so I saw a couple of those guys. I went down to the parking lot so I could sleep in my car and have a fire by the water. It was great and quiet except there are parking lot lights which I didn’t see until they turned on. There are picnic tables, trash cans, and portable toilets. All in all a nice spot. I had Verizon and I think I had two bars of service. There’s also a spot a little east off an unmarked dirt road which was ok and had a fire pit. I checked it out but there was just too much litter and a half eaten deer carcass which I wasn’t vibing with.

Great place to stay!!

Great place to stay!! It is very clean and quiet. The ranger is very nice and checks on you during your stay.

Some Happy Campers

I've been going here since I was a youngn' and it never fails to disappoint. Nice views with nice people all around and some of the hottest showers of you life. 10/10 would recommend.

Not the place for a peaceful getaway

Overall a decent spot if you’re just looking for a safe place to sleep right near I-40. But not recommended if you’re looking for a peaceful spot to enjoy a vacation.

Pros:

• extremely easy to get to and right off I-40 so minimal added time to trip
  • full hookups and they were well situated on the pad
  • pretty level spot
  • KOA so you know what to expect, and the check in process is really easy - especially after hours
  • cable hookups - though we didn’t try it so not sure how good it is
  • WiFi - but pretty weak at least from site 14

Cons:

• Extremely loud traffic noise - you really couldn’t get closer to the highway unless you were park on an on-ramp (see video if you don’t believe me 😉)
  • spots are very close together (but pretty typical for a KOA)
  • it was pretty full for a week night so it may be hard to book day of on the weekend
Pretty Area, Outdated Park

We tent camped in the Cub Lake loop, campsite 2, site 2. The restrooms was incredibly out of date. Loop 1 looked like all the sites were on an incline falling down a hill. Loop 2, our site was flat but some others in this loop were on an incline. All sites, restrooms and the park overall looked dilapidated and like it needs some TLC. There were water pumps though. Would not stay here again.

Great Park and Campground!

We visited this park in late June. The campground and park was immaculate! Sites were level and easy to back in. Bathrooms and showers were wonderful.  The staff was super friendly, and the area was wonderful! Make sure to go visit the Amish. We had a great outdoor class to learn about snakes, hiked the trails, and enjoyed the falls. We look forward to going back to this gem again!

Park was so nice, we did it twice

On the way back from Pickett State Park, to Texas, we decided to stay at the Wrangler site again. This time, I picked a new pad (56) and again, it was dark, quiet and beautiful. This park is huge, with TONS of site choices available. The tent sites seemed full, but we prefer less people. The updated photo below. We had to book through recreation.gov app, which was easy enough, but misleading on what sites are booked and not booked. Would absolutely return to this beautiful State Park.