No Drinking Water
About Long Hunter State Park Primitive Campsites

Backcountry Camping- Reservation Required

Long Hunter has 2 primitive campsites for tent camping only, each site has a designated fire ring. Both sites are wooded, offering shade, they are located on the shoreline of J.Percy Priest Lake.

A 6-mile hike is required to reach the sites, beginning at the parking lot, using the Day Loop/Volunteer Trailhead. Backpacking equipment is strongly suggested. There is no running water, electricity, restrooms or heated showers available. Water must be filtered from natural sources or carried in. The campsites are open year-round. Campsite capacity ranges from 8-10 persons. What to Know Before You Go

Reservations are required for ALL backcountry camping. Your reservation receipt is your permit. A copy of the camping receipt MUST on your person, during your overnight stay. A copy of the camping receipt or a piece of paper with the name associated with the reservation MUST be placed in the dash of each vehicle that is to be parked overnight at the trail head. No hiking on trails after dark. Please allow enough time to reach your destination in daylight. The last permit issued will be 2-3 hours before sunset

Pet Policy

Leashed pets are allowed on this site.

Hike In
No WiFi
Long Hunter State Park Primitive Campsites is located in Tennessee
6 Reviews of Long Hunter State Park Primitive Campsites
beautiful

great place to camp both RV and primitive!

love it

our family loves this park! we go there often. one of our favorites in Tennessee!

Who doesn’t love a lake?!?

There are lots of rules and lots of signs! The park is spread out into 2 areas and you can swim in one but not in the other. There are great places to run and hike. Its large and a bit confusing but once we found the spots we wanted it was fun.

My Kind of Place- Animals, Water, and Trails

I made a tour of campgrounds and lake recreation spots near Nashville TN during an extended trip where I had to be there to keynote some conferences. This spot was among my favorites.

Camping- The camping is normal. Nothing special, but perfectly adequate. All you need and nothing more. The spots are beautiful though. Right on the water.

Grounds- The grounds here were very well kept.

My fave thing here was the trails. There are some really great wooded trails you can take. I saw so many deer and turkeys I finally quit taking pics of them. There's also a really nice paved trail around the lake for the kids or handicapped folks. I saw some great wildlife here too. Be sure to check out my video of the monster snapping turtle that probably wanted to eat me.

There are also some really neat cliff areas on the lake. If you're brave enough and don't mind bending the rules, it's a pretty cool climb down.

Beautiful and well maintained!

Even though 6 miles is quite the hike for a young Girl Scout Troop just to reach our Campsite it was beyond worth it!

Walkin trail

Long Hunter State Park Primitive Campsites are my kinda camping.

If you enjoy carrying all your essentials on your back and sucking your water through a filtered straw then this is the camping/backpacking park for you! Actually though excellent practice run on your primitive skills. Pack distribution and what you need, no major climbs. This is a good trail to try out your skills before attempting a more challenging trip.

Basic Tennessee woodland and animals. I liked this area much more then the main park.