The best GROUP camping near
Germantown , TENNESSEE

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Germantown Camping Reviews
Beautiful Campground

This is a beautiful campground. Sites are nestled in the woods and neighbors aren’t too close. Much of the campground is closed for winter right now, but the lack of a crowd just adds to the appeal.

Most sites have water and electrical hookups but no sewer. We did see at least one site that did not appear to have a water connection.

The dump site is not marked, but there is one. It is on the way out of the campground near the primitive campsites.

The primitive sites are amazing. Most overlook a small valley/bottom that allow for spectacular views and hiking.

If you are looking for someplace close to town, this isn’t your spot. It’s a bit of a hike to get back to it. Your GPS will tell you to take a back road, don’t. Go into Oxford and take Jackson Ave to North Oxford Loop. Much better roads this way.

Forest Campground 20mins from Downtown Memphis

You really can't go wrong with Meeman-Shelby. It is so damn close to Memphis that while you won't feel like you are near an urban center, you benefit from its proximity. I very much appreciated being able to site see and camp during our brief overnight here.

The campground itself is tucked away deep into the Meeman Shelby State Forest and offers a pleasant amount solitude even though the sites are fairly close together. We watched an super long RV struggle to back into their site, so I wouldn't recommend this campground to RVs that require pull through sites.

Not all sites are suitable for tent campers. I would call ahead to ask what sites to consider if booking online, or just show up. There are a lot of sites here and you'll find something.

The campground is not terrible even, so be prepared for that.

Best group camp

We stayed in the group site that will hold up to 200 people for Halloween and it was perfect. The group site is away from all the other sites so you have plenty of room for children of all ages to run around and play without disturbing other campers. It’s very roomy and beautiful. You do have to watch for the falling acorns in the fall as they drop like bombs and don’t feel so nice. Ranger Tyson was awesome and came to check on us and fix any issue we had. I would recommend them putting in some electrical outlets under the pavilion but other than that I have no complaints. One of the hiking trails passes through the camp but we went on a slow weekend and saw nobody walk through. The lady that was in the museum when we went through was super awesome with a great personality and was very helpful! We will definitely be back to the site!

Quiet, inexpensive nature setting campground

Remotely located but still close to major roads. We came in with a 38’ RV not much problem with spaces but be aware of trees on both sides of spaces. We were given space #60 but would not have been able to open slides because of trees so we took another space. Most of them are not leveled. Water and electric hookups. We saw a momma dear and her baby cross the road. Lots of trees and leaves everywhere. It’s fall. For the price it can’t be beat. We paid senior price $16.

Good spot for a stop over on a road trip

We were passing through Memphis and stayed overnight at Fort Pillow. The staff in the office were not super friendly or helpful. I had to ask for everything, like a campsite map to my site, a trail map, and buying firewood. Nothing was offered, so definitely ask. The layout is also backwards. You have to drive all the way to the back of the park to get to the museum visitors center. I am sure there is a practical reason for this, but it wasn’t fully transparent. I always check in to campsite to introduce myself and get a lay of campsite from the people who work there. They just were not very social or helpful.

We stayed in campsite 4 which is more or less a walk-in type site. You park and then have to haul your gear about 15 yards to your site. The privacy and cliff side campsite is worth it, but there again was no one warning. We were only staying one night and the site was a little impractical for our needs. If you are staying 2-3 nights then grab campsite 4, in the winter months after the leaves have fallen this site would be stunning. It is basically a private overlook to the Mississippi. Only thing that would’ve made this campsite perfect would be running water. Instead you have to walk to the bath house to snag water.

Amenities:

There was electrical hookup at site but no water. (Was not able to locate communal water) Bath house cleaned daily and was a private set room style. Tent pad and campsite is pebbles to allow for moisture/bring long stakes or expect to not to be able to stake in your tent.

Easy Access to Graceland

Nice park. It’s not fancy and not run down. I was a little hesitant to come here (during Covid-19) based on the reviews. The more I looked into the reviews, I realized most of the bad reviews are for a different RV Park.

Most people who stay here are coming for Elvis Presley’s Graceland tour. The RV Park is great if you are doing the same. If you’re not, there’s not much to do here and the spots are close together.

You can walk right from the RV park to the museum. There’s a private gate from the campground to leads to the museum so you don’t have to drive anywhere.

The camp ground is clean, they’ll come and pick up your trash and take it to the dumpster and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. We needed a packaged delivered for work and it arrived before we did and the office would be closed by the time we pulled in the gate. They left it outside of the office door for us per our request.

I felt completely safe at the camp ground. They a have a 24-hour security guard at the entrance and you must sign-in to enter the property. While my husband was at work in downtown Memphis (Main & 2nd) his truck window was broken out and the person went through the truck. It happened right next to the job site, caught on camera and no one saw it happening. It took 15 minutes total for the break-in to occur. The same thing happened to two other workers from the same crew the week before. The police don’t come out and investigate. Be careful and don’t leave anything valuable in your vehicle outside of the RV park. From what I’ve researched since our window was busted out, this happens all over Memphis and it doesn’t matter if you are in a good neighborhood or not.

Clean, friendly, quiet, and convenient

Wonderful stay.  Appreciated the laundry facilities.  Bathrooms very clean

Great for families

Loved camping so close to the water! Clean, nice facilities. Not the best swimming hole, but great for boats and paddling!

Plenty to see and do

This is my neighborhood campground, so i might be a little biased. A great spot to spend the weekend with lots of good trails, a big lake for paddling and fishing, and quaint camp sites. The bathrooms are clean but have strong serial killer vibes. There used to be a pool here. I’d love to see that open again!

Quieter place to camp

Quiet place in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Memphis. Odorous, there is a water treatment plant close by. We parked the mobile apartment, grabbed an Uber, and went to Graceland.

PS. Uber’s will take you to the Casino at Southland, but they will not pick you up. You have to use a taxi service, which is auto $35.00 to take you across the bridge, back into Tennessee.