The best WALK IN camping near
Etowah , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Etowah Camping Reviews
Peaceful & Clean camp ground with trout access

After arriving to the campsite, there were a large variety of grounds to park your car on, half with water access and the other across a small road. The area is clean and simple to set up, no reservations available. It is close to the hatchery with access to streams all along the road to fish for trout and cook it over the campfire. There were kind locals who gave us some advice on fishing for trout and certain baits. Tree stumps were already around the fire, incase if the visitors didn’t bring chairs. If you are able to get the spot that is on the side of the stream, grab it! Being by the stream meant a constant peaceful sound of running water, and a couple trout to fish. The hatchery releases the fish throughout various parts whenever the fish are ready, meaning it may be hit or miss. The nearest town was only a 40-50 minute drive, Blairsville, and it was a scenic drive. Although the camp grounds are on the only road going up/down the mountain, there are enough trees and distance from the little road that you are not able to hear the few cars that drive by. There are two paths to get to this camp site, one is up a mountain which may be better suited for trucks or Jeep’s. The other path is the one that goes past the hatchery. I highly recommend this area and look forward to going back and having a relaxing trout fishing trip with a buddy. Some of the photos are of the campsite, including the surrounding region.

Nice little hideaway

You could pretty much drive by this place without giving it a second thought. I am glad I didn't. We got there late after 1pm. I was afraid that we were out of luck. But we found a nice spot right on the water. It was raining and the temps were threatening to drop but we wanted one last camping trip before winter. I am glad we chose this spot. A little rocky for the tents but we made it work. I did notice some much better spots for tents. Some sites were big, one of them maybe even big enough for a small gathering, but some were really small. It would absolutely NOT ba a good location for a class A motorhome but maybe some of the smaller class C's could get settled in there I saw a small camper trailer sitting comfortable. I would not like to try to get a larger camper or 5th wheel in there, way too tight to turn around. All of the sites had solid packed ground so it would not be hard to level whatever rig you use. Drive right up to the camp site better yet use a truck bed camper or tent. We brought a porta-potty and tent for it and were glad we did. Bathrooms are on the property but are just glorified outhouses the smell was not the most pleasant part of the trip by far. To sum it up we WILL be back but I will be getting there earlier in the day.

Sufficient

Super nice employees. Campsites very close together.  We had to move from the first because on either side there was no room for our slide outs.  We were very close to I 40 and the road noise was extremely loud…all day and all night.  I probably wouldn't stay again only because of the road noise.

Great Campground

We love camping at Fort Mountain. Its usually a good bit cooler due to the elevation, and the private wooded campsites make tent camping in Georgia’s summer heat much more enjoyable. Good hiking and things to do nearby.

Wonderful Free Site

If you come from the west beware of 129 aka the dragons tail. It is a very windy road. To get to the sites you turn on Joyce Kilmer road from 129. You will pass a few houses and several spots that looke like they almost could be camping spots but wait until you get to the official marked spots. The spots were amazing, beautiful views, lake access, nice fire pits, good tent pads. One of the best free sites I have stayed at. We stayed for two nights in August and had a fantastic time. Many of the sites were full but never all. The waterfall is on Joyce Kilmer road before you get to the campsites.

Lots of Wildlife

The campground is right off loop road. Spots are a little close, and not very private, but you cant beat the location in the park. We saw 3 bears, a red wolf, and numerous dear and elk during our stay.

Just a small portion of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park

We are glad we stayed at Cades Cove Campground. Thanks to Jay at the bike rental, we were able to ride the famous Cades Cove loop (11 miles) on the last day of the season that the road was closed to vehicles. We also folded the 6 mile hike in and out of Abrams Falls in the middle of the bike ride. It was a fun day, beautiful views, wildlife (turkey & deer). The campground was crowded. Every site was full. The sites are markedly close together, with minimal privacy between. Our site was C61, generator free (that part was nice). But we were on the end of a row, with two sites on one side, and a larger site on the other- all occupied, with just feet between each set up. Other than the tightness of the sites, we really liked everything else about the park.  We traveled from the park towards the Blue Ridge Parkway by going directly through the Great Smoky NP. This was an incredible experience! Highly recommend it!

My go-to campground

Beautifully kept campground. Tons of room to walk and play. Great swimming and fishing. Boating is huge here Bc there are docks all around the campground to pull up to. Playgrounds everywhere. Nice, new bathhouse on the island at the back of campground. Affordable place to stay a few nights. Believe it’s 21 for water and electric RV sites. Dump stations throughout park. I use the BIG one at the entrance/exit of park, nobody ever there 👌🏻. Rangers patrol this place every 30 minutes at least. Very safe place. Try and grab a spot that I marked on the map, you’ll have tons of shade and close access to all the good stuff!

A beautiful week.

We spent a week in Fort Mountain and we can’t say enough about how wonderful it was. The sites are beautiful and feel very private. The facilities are spotless, and the staff at the visitor’s center/store were terrific. The overlooks were spectacular: absolutely beautiful.

Great Campground

It is located within the Cherokee National Forest in the Citico Creek area. It has a toilet house, but no hookups. Several sites that are first come first serve. Great campground. Rough gravel road with many potholes to get to it.