Dayton, TENNESSEE

Most Recent Dayton Camping Reviews
Stunning place

We were in the first week of November absolutely lovely park loved the staff in the office they were so accommodating We had a nice level site plenty of space to spread out and kick our shoes off for a few nights sunsets were incredible cool autumn nights Trails galore and nice wildlife scenery for photography

We enjoyed our stay at Raccoon Mountain. Sites were a good size. Not right on top of each other. The caverns were pretty cool. Having the dog park close by was a bonus. We would definitely stay here again.

A place to go back!

My husband and I went this weekend and had a great time! (Although, it rained almost the entire trip.) The primitive sites were great! A little walk to the bathhouse from our site. Bathhouses were clean, heated, and even required a passcode to use. We’re already planning a trip back here with our young boys. So many caverns and caves to explore so don’t let rain deter you from visiting!

Great campground

Not a far hike in. Isolated camping spots, well marked, out-house nearby, along with water source.

Details

No firepit but nice flat area above the Falls - just past the natural stopping point for tourists. May have day hikers hiking past your setup if you choose to leave it and go hike.

Absolutely gorgeous

We camped at the Father Adamz campground. It was a little hard to find initially, there were no trail markers. Luckily we ran into a hiker that knew where it was. It was a .5 mile hike into the campground. Once there, it was breathtaking. You can hear the river at night when all is quiet and the campground (8) was very spacious.

Really neat experience!

This campground was super different from anywhere I've ever stayed. My family and I went a few years ago on a trip to Tennessee. It was a decent place to stay. We RV camped on this trip, but the campground had tent sites too. Ours was pretty spacious and right next to our friends' site.

What was neat about this campground that it actually is right above a series of caverns, one of the biggest systems in the US I think. We got to go on a 4 hour caving trip led by a guide, which was really awesome. If you're every at this place, definitely book a trip to go around the caves. Also, right at the campground was a place where you could mine for gemstones. This was really great for the younger kids we had with us and pretty fun for me too.

As always, there's some good hiking around. We checked out snoopers rock trail which was beautiful. Also a fun thing to do since the campground isn't too far from Chattanooga was going to watch the Lookouts at a minor league baseball game. This area has a ton of stuff to do and it was a great trip!

Good people

Nice people

Hidden little gem

This is an awesome little dispersed campground alongside a beautiful stream and extremely secluded! If you are looking for something a bit off the beaten path this is your spot. I’d imagine it only fills up during hunting season if ever. I read that the steam is good for trout fishing but I didn’t have any luck. Probably some of the larger pools up or down steam hold fish but right along the campground it wasn’t very deep when we were there. There is not much to this campground at all so make sure you bring everything you need. There is nowhere to purchase anything and you are a good 20 minute drive away from any stores. The bathroom was borderline unusable for anything other than the worst of emergencies and even then I would prefer to venture off into the woods and take my chances. Bathrooms were beyond disgusting. This is not a campground that gets maintained daily. I would imagine maybe once every 2 weeks at most they have a park Ranger role through there and that is probably being generous. It is not trashed by any means and it is a beautiful spot tucked away in the woods. Definitely give this place a shot if you are looking for some seclusion in the north Georgia area and maybe some decent trout fishing.

Hidden little gem

Level park

Level fishing is great. Very few large sites

So much to do! And beautiful fall tent camping

There is so, so much to do at this park. Unfortunately, we only got to hike around the falls since the weather was so bad.

Tent camping review:

• Lots of flat space for your tent, a canopy and for parking
  • Easy to put down stakes
  • A ton of beautiful trees
  • Mostly RVs - as tent campers, we were in the minority
  • Bathrooms were a bit old school; I did not want to shower there
  • A lot of trashcans closeby
  • So many daddy longlegs
Love this park

This park never disappoints!!! Very clean facilities. Breath taking views. Awesome adventure hiking trails!!! A family favorite for sure.

Great family park

We spent the weekend at the park in our 21’ camper. Site 28 was fairly level, and had water and 30a power. A few looked like they had sewer at them, but ours didn’t. Fair warning, sites all seemed to be pretty small. My kids loved playing at the playground. The whole park was just really well kept. Bathrooms and showers were clean and in great shape. The staff and rangers were all great, and the gift shop at the park entrance was pretty nice. Small, but had shirts and a couple souvenirs, as well as firewood. The falls were nice, but be prepared to get your shoes wet if you walk the trail down towards the main falls. There was a cold snap that weekend, so we didn’t feel like getting that wet. We will definitely be back in the spring.

In the middle of nowhere

NIce and peaceful

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak lifestraw water bottle at Stone Door Campsite

Campsite: Stone Door review

This campsite is great for novice primitive campers. The campsites are secluded, but very close to the parking lot. There is an outhouse and drinking water close to the campsites. Each site has a fire ring and plenty of space.

There is a parking lot for overnight campers/hikers. There is also a lovely pavilion with grills for day hikers. This site is obviously close to stone door and Laurel Falls. You can also hike over to Ranger Falls on the Big Creek Gulf Trail. I did the Big Creek Rim trail. It was relatively flat, but had some beautiful overlooks. A great campsite with easy accessibility to great trails. Book ahead of time as campsites fill up quickly on weekends!

Product review: Banner & Oak lifestraw water bottle

As a ranger, I get to test products occasionally. I took the Banner & Oak lifestraw water bottle hiking with me. It very easy to use. You follow the instructions for first use, and then you can fill the bottle with any water source. I think it works because I did not get sick! The most difficult part is storage. You have to follow the directions for proper storage of the bottle. You have to properly dry the filter before storage. I liked it more than drops I have used in the past. Pretty awesome that the purchase of this bottle gets a child clean water for a year!

Bathing optional???

This campground could be amazing, IF they had more than 2 showers! There are only 2 bathhouses in the campground, with only one shower in each women’s and one in each men’s room. Also, there’s only two toilets in each women’s room. This is a real problem when the campground is full, plus a two night minimum was required when I stayed. So if you are not in an rv with a restroom/shower, keep in mind the bathhouse situation.

The campground is right on the lake, and it is beautiful! I stayed in tent site #62, it is the first site when you enter the campground only area. I was in a rooftop tent, so wasn’t able to park on the tent pad, but was able to make it work. The first sites are pretty close together, with not much privacy from your neighbors. There were other sites farther down that looked more spacious. We did not have electricity r water hookups, but there was a water spout nearby. The tent pad was pretty small, and was taken up by a giant concrete picnic table that was too small for an adult to sit at. You would need a small done tent for this one. The site text to us had a couple of some tents and put in on the pad and one on a flat spot in the grass and it worked for them.

The rv sites with hookups are all higher on the hill, but I believe they pretty much all had like views. The sites weren’t as spacious as I would like.

The campground has a swimming area, playground, boat launch, paved walking trails, very popular area for bike riding (if you like hills), fishing, basketball courts, picnic pavilion, etc.

There’s a camp store with essentials, including ice and firewood. The lady working in there was exceptionally nice and friendly!

The campground is conveniently located just a couple miles from the exit, and very close to West Knoxville. I really would love to see some updates on this potential gem!

Excellent stay.

Owners were cordial and accommodating to our specific need. They rolled out the Red Carpet. Really. A Red Carpet was rolled out as we approached the Registration area. WiFi and Cable TV were outstanding. Strongly recommend.

Jane and Bud offer a simple yet nice place to rest

Nice place with 10 50 amp pull through sites and a few back in 30 amp used by monthly renters that make you feel welcome.

Nice place to go

The campgrounds are okay at the park . There was not much of water . The park is nice park , the trails are nice here . The staff are friendly and helpful here.

Primarily an RV park

I’m giving this campground 4 stars as an RV park, not as a good spot for tent camping.

There were pros and cons, so I’ll start with the cons- the campground is surrounded by what looked to be a mobile home community. If you stay in an rv site, you probably won’t notice this, but the tent with electric sites are on the outer loop, so we noticed, and heard commotion from the road and community well into the night. The tent/electric sites were slightly wooded, but most are basically in the back yard of said community, so you don’t really have the “camping in the woods” feeling. We were the only occupants of tent/electric and there was not a single tent in the primitive field. The campground is pretty pricey also, compared to other places I’ve stayed.

Pros- This grounds was very clean and well maintained. Every site has gravel, and they had a pile of fill gravel, so I guess they fill it in when it gets low in spots. The restrooms and showers were also very clean and well kept. While I believe there are some long term residents here, the sites were not very cluttered as many are at other parks.

The campground is really close to the exit, and several restaurants, and really close to Chattanooga. There’s a camp store with essentials, including ice and firewood. There’s a pool that looks to be very clean and well maintained.

This is a great spot to spend the night if you are visiting Chattanooga and just need a place to stay close by, but I would say if you are just wanting to camp out, you could find a better spot in the great outdoors for that.

Lots of Fun!

I love the water falls and hiking in the area. Beautiful landscape makes this a great place to spend the weekend.

Decent site

No sewer hook-ups and alcohol is not allowed on the grounds. Supposed to have a 14 day maximum stay but walking around you can tell there are plenty of long-term parkers. The road in is rough with potholes and the transition from blacktop to cement at the gate is a huge jarring transition. Probably a 3 inch difference. Not exactly what I want to hit on the way to my site.

Awesome

Really nice and quiet camping

Awesome Campground on the Hiwassee River

This is a quaint little campground right on the Hiwassee River. A number of the sites are less than 15 yards from the river through some thickets. Each site has a cut out with access to the river. My favorite part of this campground is the ability to hear the river from pretty much anywhere in the campground. If you are looking for activities this Campground/Park is awesome for hiking, horseback riding, kayaking/tubing, fishing or just flat out relaxing to the sounds of the Hiwassee River. The restrooms are clean and sites fairly spacious. There is an awesome playground for those wanting to bring their children and the campground overall is extremely family friendly.

III Rivers Farm

Absolutely love this farm. Multiple sites to camp, plenty of room for everybody, and very secluded! Can’t wait to go back later this fall

Mountain Festival

A group of friends met here for the Mountain Festival. In addition to an awesome time checking out food and craft venders there are some awesome trails and overlooks. There are several campgrounds to pick from. We were in D which is best for small campers and tents. Some of these sites are really close together, others have a lot of space to set up. There is a nice group camp site in the trees and some secluded sites on the back loop. The showerhouse is a little old but functional. Fall Creek Falls is going through renovations and they have some new areas already opened for your enjoyment. Zip lines, a nice swimming pool, an amphitheater, swing bridges, awesome waterfall overlooks and some strenuous climbs that are worth the journey.

Great owners make all the difference!

Convenient location just off Interstate 75. Quiet wooded area with plenty of activities for the kids. Swimming pool, fishing pond, playground, jump pad. We don't have pets, but there is a small dog park area. Lots of planned weekend activities. Bathrooms are very clean and well-maintained. My husband is disabled and we are very appreciative of the separate handicap facilities. You don't have that in a lot of campgrounds. We like the sites best towards the front of the park close to the pool. The owners are very hands-on and involved and you can tell. We have camped all over the country but this is our favorite local getaway when we have a free weekend.

Great Time

Had a pleasant stay. Lots of good hiking and fresh air. Bring your own firewood!

Friendly staff

The weekend we decided to stay was the same weekend a water main break happened in downtown Chattanooga,  leaving everyone without water. The staff was tremendous!  They took it in stride and did everything they could to make it a comfortable stay. The campground was well maintained and we loved the pool! We will be back again to check out the cavern and pan for some gems.