The best DRIVE IN camping near
Wildaire , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Wildaire Camping Reviews
North Mills River - NC

Campsite was clean and well maintained. My family enjoyed being so close to the river and exploring a new area.

We love this place

My hubs and I have been three times. It’s quiet, babbling little brook near by. Cute cabinets that have room for 4 ppl, kitchenette, WiFi, pool, bathhouse. Clean quaint. Close to Brevard, DuPont for mountain biking etc.

Peaceful serenity

Have waited six months into our RV life to start reviews for fair comparisons. Spent 5 nights. This was our introduction to ACE campgrounds and we were sold right away. Huge site right on the lake. So peaceful. Not a whole lot to do in the park (fine by me, happy to stare at a lake) but nice long walk to the dam, some reasonable mountain biking quick drive away.

Hidden gem of South Carolina

Have waited six months into our RV life to start reviews for fair comparisons. Spent 4 nights here. Mortified to say that this was our first time here despite living in Charleston, SC for over 10 years. What a gem! Fabulous solid hiking including waterfalls and biking even around the park’s roads. Love the feel of this campground. Living in the forest. And one of the most friendly camp hosts we have encountered. Could easily have stayed here longer.

Pleasantly Surprised

We stayed here for a weekend in March 2021 and were surprised at how much we liked it. There are lots of trails close to the campground with one around a lake and a stream off of it. Facilities were very well maintained. Only downside not all lots level and some stumps that were hard to manuver around to park and to leave spot.

Great County Park

We stayed for 10 days with our 37 ft travel trailer. There's only 3 sites that could realistically handle this size or larger. No sewer hook ups, but thats not an issue for us. The rangers kept the bathhouse immaculate. They take such great care of the whole park! If we get back out this way, we will definitely be back!

Family friendly, well maintained

My family stayed at South Cove on a Friday night. We were impressed with the large number of pull through sites and the cleanliness of the campground. We arrived late in the day and the camp hosts were friendly and quick to assist with checking in. There are several large play areas in walking distance. There appeared to be beautiful lake views from almost every site. We very much enjoyed our stay and plan to return for a longer visit.

A Remote Campground for Those Seeking Solitude

Giving a campground a rating solely based on amenities is unjust. Some people want all the amenities. Some want solitude. Based on what I want, I would give this campground at least four or five stars. However, it does not have drinking water, flushable toilets, electricity, wifi, sewer hookups, a swimming pool, or any of those other amenities. What it DOES have is solitude and a peaceful co-existence with nature. It is beside the Chatooga River and you can hear the peaceful sounds of water all night long.

The site I stayed at had a fire pit and a lantern hanger. A pit toilet and bear-proof trash receptacles were close by. Although there was some trash on the ground, there was not as much as I have seen at some other primitive camping areas. Maybe the reason is because you have to drive 2.3 miles down a curvy, bumpy, hilly forest road. You could probably drive an RV or pull a travel trailer to this campground, but it is not recommended. One thing that surprised me was that there were handicapped signs for access to the river, so I guess you could consider the campsites to be handicap accessible… maybe.

The campsite itself was level. There were other campsites that were also level, but with the rain, you will have to negotiate big puddles. The pit toilet is cleaned on a regular basis. I know this because there was a checklist on the door of the toilet.

I do recommend this campground because it is well maintained for a primitive area and it is peaceful.

Friendly People

Location is great and staff/ people helpful and friendly.
Negatives- loud from the traffic on the two highways you are between. Ditches dug on sites which could have been dangerous for kids Campground flooded in the middle of the night. Happy they woke us up to evacuate but lost a few items that were under the trailer. Wish we had been warned earlier that there might be a possibility so we could have put things up high or away

Easily one of my favorite campgrounds

My husband & I happened upon this place last year when we were looking for a place to camp but all popular campsites were fully booked. Someone suggested this place to us and we were happy & more than lucky that we came. The owner was so nice and directed us to just set up tent anywhere.  The place was starting to get full but we were able to set up tent next to the pond which was a lovely spot. After setting up our tent, it was time to relax.  I brought my guitar (which i always do when we go to the mountains) and just started to play a lil bit to myself (not a great player, just likes to play).  That kind of drew the other campers and next thing we know, we were all jamming and singing.  Mind you this is not a very large campsite but the size of it and the way the campsite is set up makes for easy mingling. The campers are mostly bikers and they are all very friendly and outgoing. I think that makes this place special.  There is a shed where food is served for bfast and dinner if you are too tired to cook.  There are two charcoal grills if you want to make your own bbq. Overall, i fell in love with this place and we are hoping to come back very soon. SOON!