The best WALK IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Springtown Camping Reviews
Pretty Park & Great Hiking but Poor Roads & Rude Camp Host

Poinsett State Park is absolutely beautiful and a true hidden gem. We recently visited South Carolina and after spending the weekend visiting nearby Congaree National Park, we opted to stay at Poinsett State Park for 4 nights in our Mercedes Sprinter campervan. As we had read online, the roads into and around the park are truly in desperate need of repair, but once in the campground, the sites are very nice. Site 24 was perfect as it is the last one with hookups and that allows RVs. The hiking is fantastic- I was able to easily hike several miles each day with my dogs and most of the hiking trails are very peaceful and pretty. Even though we were there in early February, we did encounter some gnats/mosquitos and we had to be incredibly vigilant about picking ticks off of our dogs. The only negative is that the park host was incredibly rude to us. We travel with our two well behaved dogs and ALWAYS keep them on a leash. I spent several hours a day hiking with them and walked through the campground with them on several occasions, which I know the host saw since we walked past him multiple times. On the third day of our stay, as I was bringing one of our dogs back and we were switching leashes and harnesses, our other dog jumped out and got away from us for a minute. We immediately ran after her, and after calling her name, she turned around and came back. She was out for less than a minute, and we were actively pursuing her with leash in hand the entire time. My husband was literally running after her without shoes on. The camp host came and yelled at us claiming that our dog"almost attacked his dog." She's a 9 year old Golden Retriever that is literally the most friendly dog on the planet. She was in our view the entire time and never barked or growled, only went up somewhat near them(several feet away) to say hello. It was clearly a mistake that she got out and something we rectified immediately. He kept yelling at us well after she was in our control. While I 100% understand and agree that all dogs should be on leash, it was clearly a mistake and absolutely nothing happened. It made us feel really awkward and uncomfortable. Then, on top of that, the next day, we couldn't even walk our dogs because there were 2 loose dogs running all over the campground with literal bells on- the camp host of course didn't address what was actually a flagrant violation of the rules by a neighboring camper. Other than that, our 4 day stay was perfect, but this really negatively impacted our stay.

Nice county park

Pretty large campground but nicely wooded. Great location for day trips into Charleston. We stayed only one night but will probably come back when the weather is better.

Lovely campground, nice trails, great dog park

Lovely campground with forested, private sites. Palm trees and oak trees with Spanish moss. Nice hiking trails. Phenomenal dog park. We stayed here in January 2021 and will come again in February 2021.

One Star is Too Much

I would like to give an honest review of this campground because I rely on other peoples’ reviews to choose campgrounds that I have not been to before. I cannot in good faith recommend this campground to anyone. I called the week ahead to confirm that reservations were not required. I spoke with a lovely lady who shared reservations were not required and that their campground never fills up. (However I will have to say the night that I arrived, there were very few spaces left.) I told her I had read good reviews and that we were local and were excited to come.
My first impression - I would prefer to camp under the stars. Instead, at this campground you camp under a light pole at each campsite. We also like to have a fire ring to have a fire going to cook our food, but not at this campground. There’s a community fire, and no fire rings at the campsites. But the most deplorable part of our short stay was the treatment received from the owner. We arrived after dark, in the fog and after setting up our camper, we went to plug it in only to find that there was no wiring in the electrical box. Unfortunately we did not notice the small, paper sign, wet and faded stating that the electric box was out of order. When we spoke to the owner, he had no professional courtesy at all. He was the rudest person I have ever met. He blamed us for not reading his wet, faded sign that could not be seen in the dark. He did not offer to help, but instead raged on and noticed that we had South Carolina plates. He then said we weren’t even supposed to be there, that their campground is for out of state campers. I have never heard of such a thing and not to mention, the lady I spoke to earlier in the week knew I had said we were local and did not mention this policy on the phone. If I I am paying to camp, I expect a working campsite. If it does not have working electricity or sewer, it should be roped off so that people know not to park there. We packed up and left because of the unprofessional behavior of this campground owner. If you are looking for a place to camp, I would highly recommend skipping Sweetwater Lake Campground and checking out one of our State Park campgrounds instead. They have working campsites under the stars with electricity, water, fire rings, and park rangers that care about your camping experience.

Close To Everything

We stayed two nights. The shower house & bathrooms were clean. The people were friendly. The location was close to John’s Island and 25 minutes from downtown Charleston. Hassle free camping at its best.

Beautiful beach campground

We stayed at the Beach campground at Edisto State Park.  Gorgeous campground with some sites backing up to the marsh.  All sites were well spaced out (especially on the main road/ not the loop), and all had easy access to the beautiful beach.  Highly recommend bikes as the beach campground is a quick walk or short ride over to Bi-Lo and other parts of main Edisto.

Favorite campground we’ve ever been at!

It will be hard to share how much we loved this spot! First off, the location to Charleston, Folly Beach, and Mt. Pleasant doesn’t get much better! We planned on staying just 3 nights but made it 4 once we realized how great of a spot it is. They have bike trails, a dog park, a water park (which is obviously closed in the winter), laundry, a camp store and very clean bathhouse! It’s a bit pricey but for the location and all the amenities it’s worth it!!!!

Also… if you are looking for nearby things to do I highly recommend taking the hour drive south to Botany Bay Plantation to see the driftwood beach!

We will be back!

This was a beyond beautiful park. From walking trails, the pristine bathrooms, and incredible dog park, we couldn’t have had a better stay. We should have stayed longer. We stayed at site 29, a large pull through with full hook ups. It was like having your own private driveway. It was also incredibly close to downtown Charleston and sites. We plan on coming back!

Hospitable.

Large multi-purpose park. Camping area is kept well and separated from general park areas. Basic no frill camp sites we like that get the job done. Nice asphalted trails for bikes, wheelchair, walking, water park in the park looks great for use in warmer times. Convenient to historical points in Charleston with grocery and Lowe’s nearby for resupply or items you forgot to bring. We’ve book marked for future stays when in the area.

I love this place!

Sweetwater Lake Campground is a small RV campground. There is electric and water hookup and a dump station. Lots are decent size and fairly level on grass or gravel. The owners are very nice and available, if needed. Reservations are not taken, so you pull in and pick your spot. Drop your money in a lock box. The property has a nice size lake and all spots face it. There are fire pits and hammocks. The best and most fun part about this campground are the rescue donkeys. Their shelter and grazing area is situated directly behind the camper row. You can hear them bray and they will come to you and let you pet them, although, you should use caution as they warn you that donkeys bite. This is a very nice, quiet campground surrounded by private property of fields and lake. I really enjoyed our stay here!