Smithfield , PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Smithfield Camping Reviews
Criminal citation, for pitching tent outside of poorly delineated area

I was camping at site 109; a seemingly very small clearing, feet from the road. At one corner of this clearing is a 5 foot wide trail which leads to a larger clearing, with a large fire pit. I figured this was part of the campsite, pitched my tent there and left my car in the small initial clearing. Woke up to a police officer telling me that although he knew very well the site delineation was very ambiguous, he had no choice but to give me a citation for camping in violation of my permit, which is no less than a criminal offense in MD. Officer admitted regularly ticketing campers this way, and that his superiors didn't care to remedy.

3 stars because the rest was fantastic!

Awesome

Awesome owners,quiet place to relax. Tent site was nice and conveniently located next to the bathhouse

Secluded except when dam releases

This was a beautiful state forest, with two state parks sort of bordering it (Big Run & New Germany). The roads were all paved which was nice. We got sites 112 & 113 because we had a few people join us. Those sites are right next to each other so it worked out really nicely. 113 was a big open field, and 112 was in a sort of pine forest. Both were relatively close to the road and both had poison ivy along their edges. We got the impression that the road is not very travelled, but we were accidentally there on the weekend that they released the dam, so there were a ton of people driving around looking for an available site. We initially wanted to camp at the whitewater sites, but we are so glad we didn't because those sites ended up becoming a parking lot for people who were there for the dam release. Recommend the High Rock hike and any of the trails in New Germany State Park. One more thing - the map indicated an iron ranger nearby these sites but we couldn't find it, so we ended up depositing our payment at the iron ranger at the white water sites. You could pick up payment envelopes at the headquarters or the whitewater sites.

Gorgeous setting

This area is gorgeous! Many of the sites are along streams that run down toward the river. Get here early-- we arrived late on a Thursday and scored a great spot. Most sites were taken early Friday afternoon. The flora is beautiful and peaceful and there are lots of animals about to see. We spotted a raccoon, a bunny, a chipmunk, and (along the nearby roads) lots of deer-- don't drive too fast!

The sites are not very far off the road; I am a fairly light sleeper and woke a number of times to car noise. However, the sites are spaced far apart, and most are far enough from the road to feel like you have privacy.

One downside was the amount of rubbish left from other campers-- please dig a hole and bury your toilet paper/waste! We found numerous spots of TP dotting the woods near our site, which is disgusting and bad for the environment/nearby water sources.

Plenty to do in the area. We went on a hike to the highest point in MD, saw Cumberland, and went to Morgantown for a day.

Firewood is available at nearby convenience stores. You need to use local wood.

Pit bathrooms are not available at the sites, but at an adjacent state park. There are bathrooms and showers available at a nearby state park (New Germany) if you're desperate for a shower or such.

Pretty Area but Campsites are Close Together

- Had a super enjoyable time at Ohiopyle State Park Campground! It was very nicely tree covered and the restrooms were not far apart, but the campsites were quite close and not much separated some from others. There was firewood and ice right outside to buy, so don’t tote any in!!

- No service if you have sprint… in any of the surrounding area!

- Definitely check out the nearby town and waterfalls! The town of Ohiopyle is very cute and has lots to enjoy if strolling through (hippie shops, bakeries, ice cream, and adventure rental outlets). Cucumber Falls was cool, but GO EARLY or it is so crowded it is not as enjoyable. ForSure check out the Meadow Run Trail! Beautiful and wide trail for a more private view of cascading water features. AND natural waterslides!! Amazing experience! Was basically there at the slides alone besides a father and two children and a fisherman. Such a cool experience and hangout spot!

- Firetower lookout was a beautiful sunset and again we were alone to enjoy it!

- Jonathan Run Trail was also AMAZING! Multiply waterfalls, magical feeling forests and ponds. Truly a trail worth hiking!

- I’m including pictures of the exact camping experience we had planned, including coordinates to put into a GPS (if you have sprint def download the surrounding area into your phone before going!) Would recommend the whole plan if you only have a few days to explore the area!

Loved it!!

Used lot 73 for a 26ft hybrid camper. Fit perfectly! It was flat, large, clean and right by the creek. The kids loved playing in the water. Very quiet and relaxing! Many other sites/options for 26ft ish size camper. Highly recommend!! Will be returning many times!

Great for families

I gave it a 5 star for many reasons. First the campground is clean and made us feel like we were in a forest not just a campground. Secondly, the tent sites were completely level with no need to worry about rolling down a hill in my sleep, I slept great. Thirdly, the campground was so close to the nature that we wanted to see. We went to see the falls and they were within walking distance from our campsite. Overall, it was an awesome place to camp. The grounds had paths everywhere and were well kept. I didn’t feel like I was walking in the dirt or through someone’s campsite to get to the bathroom or the playground for the kids. It was our first camping here and in Maryland for that matter, and we would love to go back.

No, but thanks

This is a smallish campground and there is nothing at all nice about it except for its proximity to Ohiopyle and surrounding area. Unfortunately the lake was dried up- which the folx at the reservations site warned us about - so the campground was pretty meh without that. Of all the campgrounds we’ve been to, people here were the least friendly outside of 1-2 people. This is typical mountain folk with beer bellies trying to out-man themselves sort of place. My guess is that most of them live within a 30 mile radius and have never been anywhere else in the world. Lots of cigarette smoke and my boat is bigger than your boat sort of element here. 🙄🙄🙄. And it’s a fairly small campground but loads of folx have golf carts. And they use them at all hours of the night. At least 3 drove past our site between 4:30 and 6:00 am so every time you fell back to sleep from them driving by another one would come. Presumably to fish in a lake with little water. There are way more attractive and friendly places in this area. If you appreciate all the Laurel Mountains have to offer (e.g., hiking, rafting, biking, natural living) and don’t want to deal with sub average sites, you should look for another spot.

Busy and crowded

In contrast to the other reviews, we didn’t enjoy this campground very much. We reserved a lakefront site (60) on the end of the loop but there was no view whatsoever; golf carts rode to and from the loop to the lake access area right by our site at all hours of the night; and our neighbors ran their generator a lot. If the water levels had been higher this year, we would have enjoyed this more given the beach/swimming area and dock. If you go and are ok with a rustic site, I would suggest the lakefront sites overlooking the field and beach.

Some photos of our stay

Really enjoyed our stay and campsite. Also, bring a grate.