Gratz, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Gratz Camping Reviews
LOVE IT

Absolutely the best place! We have gone the past 3-4 years! Kids love it! Floating down the river is the best part! So much to do!

Limestone trout streams and beautiful hiking trails

Site 365 at this time of year was very quiet and secluded. Cold it was, 15 degrees was a teeth chattering experience. However our A Liner Ranger kept me warm and cozy. My main reason for venturing out into the area was the beautiful limestone trout streams. Technically difficult to fish I only experienced the most modest success. Streams are close by, hiking trails are numerous and Hawk Falls was a high point of the park. Peaceful, crisp air and beautiful Surroundings. The park is building a new Park Office at the campground so it looks like the facilities are being improved. Electric sites are scattered around an open field, I am never happy being up against a large RV. I usually like to boon-dock which keeps me a bit more secluded. I’m returning again soon and I’m looking forward to another wonderful stay.

Hiking Hotspot

Stayed here 3 days and 2 autumn nights. Our site was nice, though not very defined as far perimeters. We were in the horseshoe row housing a few 5th wheels and small travel trailers in one corner. We were one of the smaller travel trailer in the corner. Nice and no real complaints aside from not being super scenic.

Bathhouse was newly remodeled and very nice. A lot of amenities scattered throughout the campground to check out. The highlight of the campground is the River of Rocks. It truly is a surreal sight. Kids had fun exploring. The campground is a few minutes from a AT trailhead.

If we stayed here again, we tried to get a more scenic site along the creek or nestled in the woods a bit more.  Overall a great experience.

Great place to camp.

A great place to camp and spend time with family and friends, you can enjoy lots of trails and explore the woods, and also a great place to enjoy the night sky, see the stars and the Milky Way in the summer months.

Amazing campgrounds!

Everything was on point here! The staff run the place like a resort or a cruise ship. So many activities for kids and adults and a huge family atmosphere with staff and campers! Tent site near the lake is HUGE

Splash Magic Review

Splash magic is a great family campground with tons of amenities. There is a great water park as well as adults only pool for those wanting a break from the little ones. Give it a try!

Nic cabin camping!

Nice, clean, friendly/accommodating staff and the prices were reasonable for the accommodations. My Outdoor Adventure Algorithm is:(Drink+Fire+Lean-To)-(Rules+Regulations+Fees)/(Crowd-Privacy)*(Isolation*Acceptability of loud, primal, Forest-Man behavior)=Camping. While you won't mistake yourself for a member of the Donner Party, you'll also be comfortable, watching Dish, cooking on a gas stove or microwave inside(fire-ring out), with cold food/drinks and ice from the'big' mini-fridge. Bunk room had 2 bunk beds, each with a full size mattress AND room to move, plus good natural light. Living/dining area is large with a wall-mounted tv, rustic wood dining set, storage room and hooks/hangers, good natural light, as well as sufficient artificial direct and ambient lighting.Comfortable couch pulls out into a comfortable bed. Large covered front porch with again more lighting and a hanging swing. Parking is driveway-close, and they're pretty mellow about blazing conflagrations(IF it's under control) so you can get a REAL bed of coals to properly cook.They also have used/re-purposed camping/RV/tailgating items for sale( some free). It would even make a good event-specific yard-sale trip. Overall, a damned nice hotel in the woods. Not a survivalist challenge or hXc camping experience; just a clean, safe getaway for a game, Arts Fest, or just a time-out

Something for everyone!

We love this campground!! The area is absolutely beautiful. The lake is large and gorgeous. There are a lot of lake side campsites which are amazing. The hosts are all very friendly. We had a problem with our site and our weekend was saved thanks to the wonderful rangers. We are so thankful. My one and only reason for 4 out of 5 stars are the bathhouses. I wish they would update like Cowan's Gap. I have health issues and am always afraid I'll fall because the floors are so wet. Otherwise, they are kept cleaned up. Honestly, one of my favorite places to visit and we camp at as lot of parks. I hope they'll add more cottages too! There are lots of nice basic (non-electric) sites that are wooded, well shaded and private. There are nice, shaded electric sites. However, if you request electric and water you automatically get sewer too. This raises the price per site, per night by$13 and gives you a site with very little shade. We will return but we will choose an electric only site and fill our A-frame's water tank in order to get a wooded site. This campground is 100% reservable which means that you must select a site when you make your reservation. If you do not live in the area, that is difficult

Fun weekend

My family of 4 tent camped here for the weekend. Everyone at this campground was so friendly and nice. The staff really tried to make our stay comfortable. I noticed there was always a staff member driving around in a golf cart, checking on things. The bathrooms were very clean and maintained the whole weekend. The firewood sold at the camp store was only$5 for a large bundle and burned very well. Some campgrounds seem to sell "wet" wood that is hard to light. My only negative comment would be this is more of an RV park. If you do tent camp you should know you will be out in the open, no trees around your site and NO privacy. I will say the tent sites are huge and you can park 2 cars at each one. We made the best of it. We stayed in site 404

Quaint creekside campground

If you're looking for a nice place to disconnect from everyday, you found your spot. The Muddy Creek borders the campground on one side, which is a really nice backdrop.  Sites are generally open and not very private, but the general vibe of the campground is slow pace and relaxing so you don't really mind the lack of privacy. We stayed during October and they had a scavenger hunt and hayrides for the kids in the evenings. Kids loved it. My daughter came up big with her first trout out of the Muddy Creek. Bathhouses aren't the best, but get the job done. Overall a great place to unwind and have some lifelong memories with the kiddos.

Great, clean family run resort

This is a great family run campground. The store is nice, bathhouses are clean and private. Owners are super nice. There is also a great view of the surrounding countryside because it’s up on a big hill. If you’re hauling a big camper you’ll need power for the hills.

Great little spot

Great smaller campground. Staff was friendly, general vibe was low key. A lot of year round sites. Only complaint being not a lot for the kids to do aside from ride bike. We did notice they have really nice tent sites that are all to themselves. Might be back to give those a try at some point

3+ car camping

Car tent camping. Big campground. Crowded even in late September. Sites are a decent size, but you’re really on top of one another here. We were lucky to find a spot that had empty sites on both sides (but people just on top of our site). Beautiful tall trees and shaded. Check in is sort of crazy. You have to drive a couple miles from the campground to the camp office to pick a site— which is difficult if you haven’t seen them. We picked one at the campground and I drove back to the office to claim it— hoping it wasn’t taken. It wasn’t. Also, sites are pretty expensive for camping— $38! Beautiful area tho.

Beautiful starry skies & trails!

Only was able to spend one night here but I’m excited to return ASAP! The night skies were beautiful (starry starry night w/little light pollution) and trails galore leading directly from the campground. Bathrooms were clean as well- an added bonus!

Beautiful. Quiet. Fun.

We stayed here with friends and had a lovely time. The campground was maybe only 1/2 full and the camp sites near us were empty so we had a very quiet and peaceful weekend. The creek and river are perfect for curious little ones to explore. Great fishing spot. The walk to the tunnel is quick and easy for all ages. Beautiful spot. We will go again.

One of our favorites

This place is great! Always end our season here. The Halloween weekends are the best.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak at Knoebels Campground

Campground Review: Knoebels campground is very expansive and has sites named after various states and countries. For this trip we stayed at Bermuda site#6. The sites are very clean and come with a power hookup, picnic table, and fire ring. In addition to the campsites you have access to the campsite bathrooms which also have showers. They’re nothing special but they get the job done and are cleaned daily by staff. The campsites themselves are also honestly nothing special, they’re a little packed but surprisingly all of the campers are respectful and adhere to written quiet hours. What makes this place shine is its location. It’s nestled in the mountainside and just steps away from the main attraction, Knoebels Amusement Resort. This place is a throwback and hits all of the right notes. On the weekends you pay per ride, they have wooden roller coasters which consistently rank as the top in the country. There’s also a carousel that dates back 100 years, on the carousel if you ride on the outside they have brass rings that you can retrieve with the goal of collecting as many as you can. The food at the park is awesome and ranges from pizza to pierogis and everything in between. In addition to the rides they have a stream fed pool with water slides which was a great way to cool off on the hot days that we were there. The park itself is a 10/10 and a great place to make memories with your family. After a full day at the park it was great to get back to the campsite, make a fire, and crack a beer. I’ll be coming here with family for years to come.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. On this particular trip I tested the Home Free Hat by Banner& Oak. Banner & Oak is very much a brand committed to being environmentally conscious, celebrates the outdoors, and puts out stellar products.  Full disclosure: I have a monster collection of hats and this hat rates near the top in terms of construction and aesthetic. The Home Free gets a 5/5 in my books and will be a mainstay in my rotation.

For more information and to purchase one for yourself check out the hat at their website: https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/home-free-navy

Excellent Campground

We have been here tenting twice, once last year and once this summer. They have upgraded the tent sites since last year, no more primitive sites, all the tent sites are now mulch pad with water and electric. Bathrooms are very clean and modern, but a decent walk from tent sites. The facilities are all lovely, staff in the camp store are kind and helpful. The snack bar is very convenient, breakfasts on the weekends in the summer. Close to lots of great activities and there is lots to do at the campground as well. Highly recommend.

Great Campground

Great campground. Lots of sites. Friendly and accommodating staff. Great location for activities including Hershey Park, Hershey Chocolate factory, Hershey RV show.

Lake in the Woods

Very nice campground, well kept, Paved roads, plenty to do

Pleasant, woodsy Campground

We stayed two nights in site #6. The site was easy to back into, plenty long enough and relatively level. We filled our water tank on the way in and used the convenient dump station on the way out. Cell signal is spotty to non existent. There are plenty of trails in the park and two lakes to swim in. We enjoyed our stay.

Best friendlyest

The best friendly office people

Great place

We have been here a few times it is a great quite campground in the middle of Amish country and close to about everything

One of the best!

Been coming for years, clean and spacious sites. Family operated. Located between Hershey and all of the PA Dutch Lancaster County attractions.

One of the BEST campgrounds I have ever been to!

My family and I just stayed here for a long weekend over the Labor Day holiday. Appalachian is one of the absolute best campgrounds I have ever stayed at. It’s extremely clean and very well organized. We started our trip Friday afternoon, we pulled into the campground and they had a table set up outside to “check in.” We did not wait in a mile long line to park and go into the office. There was no rv backup of people trying to get through. It was extremely quick and very efficient to just pull up to a table say our name and be given the map and directed to our site. The campground had numerous activities set up all throughout the day and there was something for everyone. I find that a lot of campground activities tend to be centered around small children and with my kids being 13 and 12, they’re usually left out of the fun. There was bingo, crafts, a vendor craft show, hot dog eating contest for adults and kids, candy scramble in the dark for adults and kids, a dj Saturday night and a live band Sunday night. The pool was open until 10pm everyday. This campground has free mini golf. You can borrow golf clubs but you do have to buy balls. The staff was friendly and very helpful. You could leave your trash at the end of your site everyday and it was picked up by the staff, you did not have make trips to a dumpster. An excellent little surprise for me was the farm truck they had drive around Saturday morning. I was able to buy fresh produce for our dinner and I never even left my campsite. So beware, have cash or you’ll be cranky you couldn’t buy enough like I was! The only negative thing I could possibly say would be our campsite was….awkward. We were unaware that our site was a buddy site. Now it was Labor Day weekend, the campground was completely full and we booked late. The site we got was the only one available for the size of our camper. The buddy site was very narrow and since our buddy arrived first we had no choice but to park farther down on the site to avoid our awnings touching and that left us very uneven. It was a hill and no matter how many times we adjusted, we just could not get leveled. So my advice would be to make sure you aren’t put on the buddy sites if at all possible. The row starting with 310 on the map is all buddy sites. We have already booked our next trip and made sure we were not on another buddy site. Now that I know this, we can avoid that one issue in the future. I enjoyed this campground so much that this will now be our go to campground when we want to stay close to home.

Quiet and well kept

We stay at lake glory every year while visiting Knoebels.  It’s so much quieter than Knoebels campground and so much more room.  We love the creek side sites!  Kids can wade in the water to cool off while parents are chatting and cooking just few feet away.  We have never used the bus to head to the park - but it is one more nice thing they add to help make  your stay relaxing.  Book early….these sites fill fast!

Packed!

If you are first timer and going in for Friday - Sunday weekend camp trip….know this campground will be packed.  We tried to rent kettle bikes for the kids twice during our stay and none where available both times.  We also had people walking thru out campsite all weekend and the common areas had trash laying around.  This campground needs some TLC.   Was our first time and we most likely will not be back.

Beautiful and clean

Decent spaces between sites, with a smaller section for tents than RVs. Tent sites also have raised pads/beds for the tents to be set up and have options near the creek for both tents and RVs. I was impressed by how clean the bathrooms were kept in addition to the grounds. There’s a fenced not in area for dogs and a mini golf course, but it’s more for younger children. We were able to purchase Hershey Park tickets which were cheaper than buying from the Hershey (at a discount) and it includes shuttle service to and from the park!  The staff were friendly and welcoming and it was an overall wonderful experience.

Great weekend!

We are extremely pleased with the campground. We decided to stay here based on it's close proximity to Bucknell University. The staff is friendly, clientele is calm. Lots of well maintained seasonal sites. All the kids flock to the playground. A nice feature is the petting zoo. We will definitely return!