Vass, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Vass Camping Reviews
This camp ground is comfortable but still maintains its wilderness feel.

This camp ground is great for families and anyone looking to go outdoors. I highly recommend going online to reserve a spot ahead of time. From the times I’ve been there everyone calls ahead for there lots. There is plenty to do like hiking, fishing, swimming, and even horse back riding. And it you are an off road enthusiast, they have made some fantastic off road trails south of the Forrest. The only thing I have about this campground is the restrooms they provide are not the cleanest, so prepare yourself if your not used to that. Overall, I love this campsite.

Pretty Basic

Plentiful campsites, we arrived on a Friday without a reservation and were able to get a spot. There is a swimming pool, but we didn't swim. Some hikes nearby, but far from the swimming spots in the Uwharrie National Forest. No bathrooms near the campsites, but there were spigots with potable water. The tent pads were even and well packed. All sites had a picnic bench and a fire pit with a grate.

Nice spot for a bit of seclusion

Only three sites on this little out of the way fire trail. We go to the end of the road for complete privacy. No amenities other than a fire pit.

Family friendly campground

Nice campground with a decent bathhouse. There is no AC in the bathhouses. Site 98 in the electric loop is for tent and pop up campers, but is not pop up camper friendly. The ground is very uneven. There are many trails to go on. We went on the Big Rocks Trail. There wasn’t much to see until we got to the end of it and went down the cliff. Then the views were amazing. It was not a loop trail, but you hike to the cliff then turn around and go back the way you came. They offer canoe and row boat rentals, they have a swimming pool that is open after Memorial Day. They also have a museum you can check out during the day. Overall, nice campground. We enjoyed our time there and were able to see several deer.

Great place

So, I finally made it! After years of life in North Carolina I've practically driven past this park a hundred times. I've heard all about it too. And while it's not a "mountain" per se, at just over 900 feet it's about the tallest and most prominent point in this part of the state. There's a significant history both geologically and archaeologically in this specific area that's fascinating.

The Pee Dee and Yadkin rivers snake through these large hills (Morrow Mtn. is clustered with a few others over 400 feet tall all within the park) to feed Lake Tillery. I remember vividly multiple trips to camp on Lake Tillery as a child but I can't, for the life of me, remember a trip to the state park.

On my trip this past weekend I decided to hike the eponymous Morrow Mountain Trail. Actually, the trails were a bit confusing and hard to follow. Many ran in together and split again later. Signage attempted to be helpful but ended up confusing me more at many junctions. It didn't help that recent storms and rain knocked down several large trees and cut streams through the trails to make for a somewhat muddy hike. Toward the end of the trail you start to gain some serious and immediate elevation. It did become quite strenuous, though I had run an 8k just the day before. The view was seriously worth it though. The park info lady in the office said you could see Charlotte from the top, though I forgot to really look…

Maybe because it's the off-season or because of the recent weather, but the park was not crowded at all. This excursion made for a proper rounding-out of a pleasant weekend. I got my NC state park passport book stamped and really had a peaceful time here.

State Park with Biking, Hiking, and Fishing Opportunities

The name of the park is deceiving because it is not in the mountains, but it has beauty in its meandering streams and trails.  The campsites have gravel tent pads, and tents must be set up on them.  The gravel on the site where I stayed was deeper than my tent stakes were long, and I could not get a good hold.  I was trying out a newly required tent, which was not freestanding, so it was frustrating.  My advice is to make sure you take a tent that IS freestanding.  Deep gravel tent pads and non-freestanding tents do not go together.  The tent site was large, had a fire ring, and a lantern pole, but the pad itself was NOT level.  I had to move the picnic table so I could set up my tent on the only level spot I could find.  Something you have to be careful about is poison ivy.  There was poison ivy all around the perimeter of my campsite.  The bathroom facilities were surprisingly modern and had spacious showers with hot water.  As far as I know, there are no electrical, sewer, or water hookups, but there is a dump station.  There is a mixture of pull-through sites and back in sites for RVs.  There are plenty of trails to explore, and plenty of fishing holes.  The Bluff Loop Trail leads from the campground and along Fishing Creek.  To see Medoc “mountain,” you have to hike quite a distance, or you can drive to the park office down the road and hike from there.  Cross the road to the Bear Swamp Trail, get on the Saponi Loop (which is also a bicycle trail), and then head to the Summit Loop Trail.  There are several miles of bicycle trails as well as hiking trails, and some of them are one way only, meaning that hikers are required to hike in one direction and bicycles go in another direction.  Even though this is in the Coastal Plain, the Bluff Loop Trail will take you by a couple of sections of whitewater.  They are small, but if you like a (mostly) easy hike through the forest, this trail is a good one.  There are no swimming pools or playgrounds, but if you want to just enjoy nature, there are hiking, biking, and fishing opportunities.

Backpacking In Uwharrie

It should be no shock to those familiar with North Carolina’s geography that if one is seeking higher altitudes and breathtaking overlooks, Uwharrie is not the place he should go. Notwithstanding, as much of the higher elevations are impassable during the winter months, the forest offers backpackers an opportunity to stay on the trail a few days. The Uwharrie Trail, which pretty much spans the park north/south is about 20 miles point to point. The trailhead is kind of hard to follow sometimes, sections of the trail are prone to flooding and creek crossings can become difficult following heavy rains. Overall, however, the forest is a good place for backpacking in this region of the state. Th streams, provided one has filtration or iodine tablets, provide ample sources of drinking water.

Friendly place but small and on a huge hill.

We stayed at the Electric and water campsite at the bottom of the hill.  The lots were nice but rather small and close together.  There's not a lot of room off the pad for tents etc.  The road through the campground is rather steep and could be hard for large trailers or class A's.  It's also quite a walk to the shower building from most areas.  The pool is nice and well maintained as is the pavilion where they hold events.  The bathrooms leave a little to be desired.  There are only two showers and 3 toilets for men and the same for women.  There are additional bathrooms by the Pavilion but those aren't convenient from most of the campground.  Most of the lower sites are VERY hilly and would make it very difficult to find a large level area for an RV or large tent.  The owners and long termers seem very friendly and welcoming.  The pond is beautiful and pretty good for some fishing with the kids (we caught a bunch of tiny little panfish that would be fun for kids…  a fish every cast).

Convenient Weekend Spot

I’ve gone here a number of times and it is great for its convenience. You can drive up to a parking lot, walk into the woods and set up shop. There are sites at the parking lot and also plenty of people just walk down the gravel road and shoot off into the woods. You’re close enough to the cars that you can bring more. Will definitely be back!

Great Campground

I tent camped at Morrow Mountain state park. As a campsite it is wonderful. Great camp pad to set up your tent on and very nice bathrooms. The only thing i would say negatively about it is that it is quite off the beaten path so does take time to drive all the way through the park to the campground. Other than that it had a very nice atmosphere

Great off-roading

First time at Uwharrie and we drove about 5 hours to get there but it was worth it! It’s a huge area with several campgrounds. We stayed in 2 different dispersed primitive sites and they were both great. Plenty of space and trees and privacy! There are a 6 different stores/gas stations that have the overnight passes available for purchase. We got our passes from Eldorado outpost and the attendants there were very knowledgeable and helpful! We also took our Jeep on the OHV trails and had a blast. There are several places you can take a canoe or kayak on and the scenery on the lake was beautiful as well. They also have several hiking trails throughout. Canebrake horse camp is located in Uwharrie and has horse trails throughout. We didn’t come across a park store but they did have showers and bathrooms in the actual campgrounds. There’s a store/gas station (Eldorado Outpost) right down the road and they also have an air compressor for inflating tires (which is handy for off-roading). It was definitely a long drive but we will definitely be making the trip again. We really liked the secluded primitive campsites and the various trails we were able to take our Jeep on.

Back to nature setting

It is a place of beauty and next to cape fear river ,Has plenty of places to hike to and to camp.

sitting by a fire watching the sunset across the lake

the dog and i decided to go camping last minute and what’s easier than driving up, parking and sitting up a tent right on the water. roasting vegan hot dogs over the campfire and watching the sunset with the pup in no time.

Dispersed camping/hunting area

This area was a place that I went often to deer hunt in the fall. I have never came across another camper/hunter at this location. It is a good location if you are looking for an area that is away from camp grounds and heavy traffic. I never shot a deer here but they are in the area.  The area is just SW of Troy, NC down HWY 109/24. On the map below, it is the most western forest area.

Link to Map:

Little River National Forest Area

This area was one of my favorite ares for dispersed camping in Uwharrie National Forest while living in North Carolina. The area can be accessed by boat on the Little River, or by hiking in. Me and my friends would always float our kayaks down the river to a place we called "Bird Dog" and camp for the night. If you are looking for a place that has very little traffic, this is the place you want to go! This area would be limited to dispersed camping due to no campsites. It is a National Forest so be mindful of rules and regulations while visiting!

link:

There is a boat ramp where PEKIN ROAD crosses the Little River.  PLEASANT GROVE CHURCH ROAD pretty much cuts right through the area on the PDF.

Fun fishing

We went fishing for part of the day here. My son thought he was cool because he was the only one to catch fish. The dog was not thrilled!!

Nearby

I didn’t stay in Hunt Camp proper, but just up the road. It is very quiet and enjoyable. Hung my hammocks from nearby trees and slept very well. Doing a little scouting for the upcoming hunting season.

Great Family Campground

I have stayed many times in this campground. The tent pads are quite compacted but drain well. In addition to the nearby lake, there is a pool you can take the kids to. This is very dog friendly. Not too much traffic for the kids either. I have seen a rattle snake!!

Nice, quiet campground

Enjoyed a weekend at this campground that had a pond for fishing, pool, rec area with pool table, arcade games, etc. Clean bathhouses. Shady camp spots. There seems to be some full time campers there but their sites are neat and clean, and they all seemed kind. Some roads may be a problem for larger rigs but we had no issues in our popup. It seemed the larger rigs were near the front of the campground where roads were fine. Note: this campground is within a mile of the NC Zoo. The VisitNC.com website touts you can hear elephants, lions, and monkeys from the NC zoo at this campground, but sadly this is not true and was the reason I chose to camp here. (Imagine waking up to these sounds!) Otherwise, we had a very relaxing weekend. Would return if in the area. Note: town is about 10 min away. There is a golden corral with an awesome breakfast buffet if you get lazy one morn and dont want to cook. Happy trails :)

Great site!

Free camping site until 2020! You can pull in to spots or park your car and hike to one. There are a lot of great spots.

Old faithful

Family hiking and always see wildlife here from birds to snakes. Hiking isnt difficult but there is about 4 miles and some change here to hike.

Great hiking

Backpack camping is great here. Trails are good for family and have been here numerous times and will continue to go even though we have hiked all the trails.

Closest RV sites to downtown Raleigh

We needed to stop in Raleigh for the night and stayed here. It's quiet and huge and full hookups for $30/night. Call the number when you get close and the attendant will meet you to show you to your spot. There are 30 and 50 amp spots. I went for a jog around the fairgrounds; it's sprawling.

Wonderful Campground!

Under new ownership since Aug’14! Beautiful and Peaceful Campground. Great location, a minutes away from the NC State Zoo, Asheboro Downtown, gas stations, post office, grocery stores, big shopping malls and great restaurants! Friendly Owners and Staffs! Very Clean Bathroom! Beautiful Pools for the public.

One Section of a State Recreation Area with Primitive Camping

This state recreation area deserves five stars, but I am reviewing only the New Hope Overlook area. I had stayed at this state recreation area in a popup camper before in a different area, and that was several years ago. This last time, a friend of mine and I stayed in a tent in the primitive area at New Hope Overlook. When we got to the gate, we were told there was no water, but I had a water filter. To camp, you have to backpack in several hundred feet, and select a site. When I went to the lake to filter water, the water was still brown, so we decided to go to the closest convenience store and buy bottled water. It was a great campout because it was my friend's bachelor party, and all he wanted to do for a bachelor party was to go camping with his best man. In this camping area, you have to tie your food bag up into a tree. There is a fire pit in each campsite, and there is a picnic table. The next day when we went fishing at the lake, which was s short hike through the woods, I was shocked by the amount of litter washed up on the shore and into the woods, included but not limited to, tires, oil bottles, drink cans, water bottles, and lots of everything else. The lake itself (at least at the shoreline) was nasty!!!!!!! It is a great area if you want to just be outdoors, but the best way to enjoy the full experience at Jordan Lake is to take a boat or a kayak, enjoy the swimming beach, and stay where there is potable water.

For my previous experience, I camped with my wife in a more developed campground at the lake. It has modern bath facilities, a swimming beach, boat access, etc. There are also a few trails. As I stated earlier, I would normally rate this state recreation area five stars, but the primitive camping at New Hope Overlook only deserves three stars.

Beyond Beautiful

Reserve online to assure a spot. Every single space is HUGE, even the tent only sites. Lake views are everywhere. There are various loops for tents and RV's. Water for tents; water and electric for campers. 2 different dump sites. Firewood in 2019 is $5. Must be in the campground by 8 pm before the gates are locked.

Beaches will be cleaned up after heavy spring rains. Plenty of sand for swimming, boat docks, and fishing.

Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh easy drives for sightseeing. Weekend camping traffic is gone and there has been silence.

Will probably be crazy here in the summer but would like to return in the fall mid-week.

Very nice campground.

I camped here with a friend and the dogs over the weekend. I've been multiple times at Badin Lake before and always wanted to camp here. We had campsite 002 which was nice and shady and very private. It's a short walk over to the lake where the dogs enjoyed their swimming. The camp hosts were fantastic. Multiple times they made sure we have everything we need. Only the bathrooms need a little update. They seemed pretty run down and very buggy. Overall we would definitely stay here again. It's a beautiful and quiet piece of nature.

Love

The sites here are great and the hike in is not bad at all. Well spaced and maintained. The vistors center is always super clean and everyone from rangers to staff are really friendly. Great spot for day or over night.

Great campground for kayaking and fishing

We have stayed at Badin Lake campground a couple times and would recommend it to anyone that likes to kayak and fish. Being able to camp on the water and just slide the kayaks in and out is great. There are trails around the lake to explore and the sites are nice size so you don’t feel like you are on top of other campers