Columbia, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Columbia Camping Reviews
GREAT GET AWAY

Located between Wanchese and Manteo, this little RV park is a quiet getaway. Turning into the property you will find all of the grounds very clean and well maintained. Each site has full connections along with a picnic table. A number of sites back up to the water where one can enjoy fishing for flounder or blue crab. Or just enjoy a nice walk around the shoreline and along the piers. The touristy spots are 15-20 minutes away providing an opportunity to enjoy some seclusion. A well maintained pool is onsite as well a pavilion for some larger group get togethers. A bath house with very clean facilities. A place to do your own laundry. A convenience store is next door as well as a hardware store however you almost would never realize it as it is never noisy or distracting. If you are looking for a place along the coast for a break from the road, or a week of quiet, you will not be disappointed here.

Great ocean front camping

We did a quick weekend trip and it was a very relaxed time. Very peaceful. We could hear the ocean at night. We were able to go four wheel driving on the beach. We were warning of biting bugs and flies during the summer, we really didn’t have a problem off season. They were still present but not a bother, if we stayed longer we would have put our screened dinette up. Already planning next year.

Definitely a campground to visit at least once!

If you have a chance, definitely check out Goose Creek State Park. My husband, son, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and myself stayed at the park this past weekend, and we had a wonderful time. We stayed at campsite 11, and we had plenty of room for our two tents, two vehicles, a pup, a toddler, and the supplied picnic table, fire pit, and additional charcoal grill. The one negative about spot 11 is there’s a hiking trail that run directly behind the campsite, so it feels like people are constantly walking through your campsite. Spots 1-10 were definitely a bit smaller, and spots 11-14 are larger. If we were to stay again, I believe we’d try to stay at site 13.

The fishing dock is quite small, but it was fun to fish from with a few people. Be sure to bring bug spray! The worst for me was the biting flies. There is one outhouse-type bathroom near the dock with a spigot and dumpster nearby. There are about 10 steps leading up to the one-person, non-flushing bathroom.

There’s a wood station at the campground that uses the honor system. It’s $5 per bundle. We visited the visitors center in the hopes that they would have live bait for sell, but they sell nothing of the sort (no ice, bait, fishing rods, etc). So bring everything you need other than wood!

Overall, I’d give the campground 4.5/5, and I certainly recommend it! Try to stay in sites 11-14 if possible.

Ok campground, but lots to do!

The campground at Northwest River Park is small and pretty basic. For a tent camper that is used to wooded, private sites these leave much to be desired. There is not much privacy. The campground was full the night we stayed there and very busy and noisy through the night. We stayed on a Memorial Day weekend though so maybe it is not typically like that. All night our young children were woken up by the noise from the nearby RV's AC units.

What this park lacks in it's campground, it makes up for in it's recreational activities! There is a putt-putt course! Canoeing! Tons of hiking trails! Multiple playgrounds! Lots of wide open space for kids to run and play! Fishing! This is an excellent park for kids and families to come for the day!

Overall not a horrible experience but this is the closest campground to our house and we have not felt the need to come back and stay overnight. Maybe would be better for camping mid-week when it's not so busy.

Nice for a quick stay

Most of the sites are full time sites. Only like 15 to rent. There is a decent bath house and decent pool. Has a nice trail to walk around the pond. Sites are a bit small.

Love this campground!

Lots of things for kids to do! Pool, putt-putt, ice cream shop and so much more. The beach isn't great, you have to go out pretty far to really be in the water, but other then that it works great even has an outdoor shower right on the beach. They have fantastic bathhouses, they are each private. Nice large spots. Only negative is to watch out for snakes.

We even honeymooned here with our daughter

It’s comfortable, has nice amenities and not terribly far from the shore. Our 5 year old daughter loved staying here. The camp staff was helpful in giving us some alone time. We’ve gone back 4 more times. I can’t give it the 5th star because it lacks character and privacy. I’m not sure what they could do to improve it either. It’s a campground on dry, flat, packed sand - but they have made the most of it.

Great spot, enjoyed the pool, hot tub, beach, and sound side. The mosquitos are really bad because of the recent hurricane. I wish that they had a few more organized activities for my family, maybe a movie night. It's one of our favorites though, and we come back every year.

I love it here

This campground is part of the National Parks so the price is great. Its close to the beach, just a short walk over a sand dune and close to the harbor as well…walk or less than a mile drive. The ranger is very nice and the park is kept perfect. Restrooms and showers are clean and work great. Electricity and water were added in the past few years. It just doesn't get better for beach camping.

Pleasant get away

An enjoyable site near the unincorporated portions of the Outer Banks. We ran late on arrival due to a serious comedy of errors. The campground office reserved and assigned an electric site with water for us since we had paid months in advance. Unfortunately, a self centered traveler had taken our site before we arrived! We spent the night sleeping in front of the office upon our very late arrival. The office got everything straightened out and the rest of our stay was pleasant.

Right on The Beach

Just over the sand dunes is the Atlantic Ocean. They have tent sites, non-electric sites and full hook up sites. There are bathroom facilities and showers. Bring your bug, probably gonna need it.

Not bad

Campsites are nice but be careful the wooden borders is included in dimensions. Nice bathrooms with hot showers. Over 5 miles of easy hiking good for everyone. Gas station right outside visitor center entrance in case you forget anything. Not very many people here so its nice and quiet.

Great little campground with easy beach access

We loved our time here and we plan to stay longer next year. I caught a 30” Red Drum our first night. Night fishing is incredible. We were in an RV electric site. Water and electric hookups are state of the art and the nicest I’ve ever seen. They light up at night to make a pleasant glow all throughout the area. Just enough to walk to the bathroom. A couple things I wish we’d known:

-don’t walk anywhere but on the sand and the grass. There are prickly pear cactus and some kind of horrible terror thorn on the areas of the dunes that have tall flowers and grasses that are the bane of my 2 year old’s existence.

-get there earlier to get the best sites. Sites are assigned at check in, first come first serve, although you can reserve hookup sites so you’re guaranteed one of those. The rangers will let you drive around, look at sites, park in the one you want, then come back to finish your check in.

-there are some bugs at night. Not bad but they do exist

-there is no shade. Zero. We would have roasted in a tent.

Awesome place with lots of freedom, no one bothered us at all. Swimming is at your own risk so there aren’t power hungry lifeguards blowing whistles every 5 seconds. Beach wasn’t crowded, even on Labor Day weekend.

Hometown fun

I have spent my childhood here and I am excited to share it with my kids. We hike here when visiting grandparents. Chesapeake Public Park’s does a great job with events and education at NWRP! Equestrian trails available, which is always a plus.

Basic but nice

Many longer term campers with a few sites for short term campers. Only stayed overnight and didn’t use the bathhouse

Excellent Location

Let's cover the negatives first- The "tent pads" are small. The sites are exposed. The bugs are vicious.

Now, the good stuff- This place is right in Nags Head, which is a gorgeous little town. It's basically on the beach (short walk through the dunes). Nice, hot showers. Not far from Bodie Island lighthouse. Near some great fishing. Close to the pier. Probably 20 minutes from the Write Brothers Memorial. I could go on and on.

If you stay here, do yourself a favor and bring a big beach umbrella. There are no trees. Also, be aware, you'll need bug spray especially right when you get out of the shower. The mosquitoes can be horrific.

Great RV Park

Great spot. Water front / sunset . Cool bar with a pool table right up the road . Good location. RV Park very well maintained and nice folk around.

Love it

I love this little place in Elizabeth City. There is a little tiny beach nearby & it provides a beautiful view in during sunrise/sunset. There is not much else to do in the area but it is about an hour drive to the OBX so not too bad. I would suggest visiting at least once.

Not the best I’ve been to

This campground is in an okay location. There is not much to do in the surrounding area and the only thing that I remember them really having to offer is a swimming pool. They had little paddle boats and stuff on the water but I’m not sure if they get used. You can’t swim in the water because it is just too nasty. The tent site we were given was awful. It is very stumpy and bumpy throughout the entire campground. Lots of roots and tree limbs. May have been the worst camping experience of my life.

Great little park!

The whole park is awesome! Just be prepared to see stinky, brown water lol Definitely suggest showering after visiting here (if you go swimming)

Good

It's not bad, the sites are spacious and level. The staff have been nice and we have had no issues. There is a cool barn and they have live music. They also have a lake, allow fishing and small boats, volleyball court, and some kind of golf course (might be frisbee). We stopped in to see some friends in the area and would return.

Perfect location

Husband and I and 2 dogs stayed July 14-20th. The campsites are well maintained. They have bathrooms and outside showers with warmish water. The ocean is just a few minutes walk over the dunes. Campground was quiet even though it was full. We did have to be careful of sand burrs/prickles. And bugs/mosquitoes.  We were prepared for this so we had no issues. We had a fantastic time.

Very accommodating

Didn’t know it was the weekend of the wind surfing competition, rodanthe in general was booked, called the number she was obviously at home but that didn’t stop her from getting up and meeting us there, we got there and it was just beautiful right on the inlet side but you could see the atlantic from there as well, the sunset is amazing, the park was full but it was quiet the duck pond was pretty and it was home to the ducks, the view of the sunset was an hour of beautiful sunset pictures if you every look at a framed picture of a beautiful sunset that how it was at this camp site for a solid hour i love this spot and will forever go there we tent camped the breeze off the inlet made it perfect at night during the day its wide open no trees or shade suggest bringing something to create shade but otherwise beautiful

Great!

We arrived not sure of where to camp and this lovely guy named Steve who wasn’t even an employee showed us a good place to camp and made us a fire. It’s a very typical southern campground with lots of people who stay there for long periods of time. Lots of southern hospitality! The sunset is beautiful!

Great!

Great sites on the water

Great sites right on the water . Will need bug spray.

Campground for the whole family!

They don't call this the Cape Hatteras KOA Resort for nothing!!  This family friendly campground has SOMETHING for every interest!

We have several family members/friends who would never camp tent - which makes this is the campground for this purpose!  We are not normally KOA campers, but to be able to stay in the same space as family - and for them to have beds and Aside from tent/RV sites, there are "deluxe cabins" or tiny homes, log cabins, raised cabins etc.  This is a KOA - so the spaces are tight and close together, but for this trips' purpose, it was fine.

Similarly, if you have people who would never swim in the ocean - they have you covered!  There is a large pool - a double waterslide, a hot tub, a kids pirate playground, 2 enormous jumping pillows, volleyball, horseshoes, basketball, tetherball, etc.

This KOA is directly on the beach - you never have to get back in your car if you don't want to!  There is a super boardwalk with a bathhouse right off the beach, outdoor shower area (which is SO nice) and even a fish cleaning station for the fisherpeople in your life.  Your four-legged friends are not left out - they have a dog pick up station too!

The ocean front campsites even offered covered picnic tables - which for us is always a big win!  We love having an extension of our tent because OBX weather is a little unpredictable and summer - well, we can expect an afternoon thunderstorm.   We also liked the choice of camping on the ocean side or the sound side.  There are benefits to both choices - is it more important to you to camp with the shortest walk to the beach?  Is it more important to camp where you can watch the most beautiful sunset from your tent?

We had wonderful weather and were so thankful for the proximity to the beach.  We caught a beautiful sunrise one morning - and usually we are the sunset chasers!  Our weather was excellent and the ocean water was about 74 degrees - refreshing - yet warm enough to play in!  A strong recommendation if you need some amenities for your camping experience!

Side note - my ECLIPSE EQUINOX hoodie was amazing as a wet sunshirt this trip.  Not only did I wear the shirt on the SUP but my brother in law loved it as well! I actually prefer this shirt as a swim/sun shirt rather than for hiking now that I tried it in the water.  I did not like the way the hood came over my face when I fell in.  It took me a minute to figure out how to get it off my face.  Yet, my brother in law loved the sunshirt and wore it with a hat on the SUP - said the hood was his favorite feature!!

Good for quick stays!

The facility is nothing special, but it’s great for quick stays.

Planes fly daily and at night which is cool. Limited amount of spacing. Beach access Boat ramp access Cabin lodging available

Perfect overnight

All the amenities and friendly staff Got us in ASAP Easy access off 64

Amazing Mom n pop campground

Love this place Good humans Great location on the sound and less than 1/2 mile to ocean Watersport and bike rentals at great prices Delicious fresh seafood next door Would recommend 100%