The best WALK IN camping near
Rifton , NEW YORK

Most Recent Rifton Camping Reviews
Family Friendly

This is a very nice campground for families. Has a lot of activities and facilities for campers. It is a bit more open and campsite can be a bit close to each other. But the place was very clean a friendly.

Great shelters, better trails!

This is a great place for camping. The shelters are great for people who want to camp and not have to worry about unplanned weather. The best part of this campsite are the endless trails in the area (see screenshot of AllTrails). I believe there are over 40 miles of trails in this area. Would definitely recommend for those who want to camp near NYC but not drive too far.

Fantastic, spacious campground

This is an amazing campground! We had plenty of space and easy access to the lake. We went on a busy weekend and they are currently only operating at 50% capacity. I would recommend reserving a spot well in advance. This is a very large campground with multiple different areas. It has a good water pump and the bathrooms were well maintained and had a nice sink washing area.

Amazing weekend getaway

Even the rain couldn't ruin this weekend getaway. The spring water source is a short hike back from the campsite, relatively convenient to restock from camp. Thought I heard bears come through overnight, but may have been a lucid dream. Bear can was undisturbed in the morning. First trip to the catskills but will definitely be back!

Close to NYC

Close enough to the city, far enough to enjoy the nature. Expect crowds.

Beautiful hikes nearby

Very peaceful and quiet with lots to do in the area.

Nice place

Quiet and nice grounds.

Best camp site I ever seen.

Yes you can camp on top of the mountain. Yes you can make a cap fire. Yes you can star gaze by the views near the camp. Yes it’s amazing. It take the average hiker about an hour ish to get to camp/ledge view. This one is one of my favs.

Pretty rad even when full

So close to the city you just can’t beat it. We found a cancellation for one of the group camping spots—63—(at half capacity due to Covid precautions), which was pretty delightful, if not that private. Sites 43 and 45 seem to be some of the best locations and most private while still near the bath house. Plenty of firewood to forage if they run out at the (charming, storybook) reservation cabin. Walk across the road down to the “beach” and take a dip. We’ll be back on a less crowded weekend.

Not bad

I have given this place a higher rating in the past but having returned multiple times I have to lower it. The positives are: the grounds are very well kept, most sites are a very nice size, owners are pleasant, very quiet and relaxing. If you have kids there is not a lot for them to do. As for the lack of stars…the owners are pleasant but are constantly policing everyone, I have been reprimanded (yes I mean reprimanded) because my dog was walking on the grass (on a leash), it seems they like it if you stay on your site at all times. all but one of the seasonal campers i encountered and was camping near are very rude, not all are well kept, one even mowed the grass at 730am on the site next owers paying no attention to my dog who was tied out or that he was shooting debris all over me and my stuff. The price is too high and the over all tone has gotten very odd. I MAY try again next year to see if it got better but could only tolerate once this year.