Alexandria, NEW HAMPSHIRE
Most Recent Alexandria Camping Reviews
Ranger Review: Banner& Oak Freedom sweatshirt at Beech Hill Campground

Campground Review: Beech Hill Cabins and Campground

I’ve camped at many of the campgrounds in the Twin Mountain, NH area and wanted to try a new spot. Beech Hill Campground did not disappoint with its large wooded campsite and numerous campground amenities at a fair price. You have to call to make reservations and can’t see the sites, but there aren’t many sites I wouldn’t want (3& 4 are small sites just across from a street light; a few others had slopes or a lot of roots). I was along Blueberry Lane, one of the roads on either side of the power line and all the sports areas(basketball, volleyball, horseshoes, shuffleboard) with some park benches and a view of Mt Washington). You may borrow equipment at the store.

The sites are often narrower at the road (but still wide enough to make backing a trailerRV in easy) and then open up to a spacious site. There’s enough low growth under the trees that although you are aware of your neighbors, you’re not on top of each other. I was there on an early August weekend and the campground was not close to full. It was quiet and folks were friendly. There are a large number of seasonal sites in areas separate from the rest of the campers that are generally well maintained and neat. They also have some cabins and a park unit (see their photos on the website as I didn’t get to see the insides). Full hookups including cable will run $50/night.

Laundry, bathrooms with showers, and a dishwashing sink are in a building near the entrance. Bathrooms are clean, if worn. They’ve been recently painted; the caulking/edges show their age more. Other amenities include an indoor heated pool, outdoor chess and checkers, a game room with air hockey, pool, and arcade games, and an outdoor playground. Saturday evenings there may be ice cream sundaes for a small fee; check their calendar for special events.

The store is well stocked with everything from camping supplies, ice, and firewood to knick knacks, snacks, and maps. They also sell some campfire grills, which could be helpful if you’re cooking over a fire; the fire rings do not have grills. There’s a gated entrance, so you need to check in before the camp store closes on your first night. There will be a $20 cash deposit for the access card, refundable when you return the card. My cell phone had 2-3 bars 4G on Verizon.

Product Review: Banner& Oak  Freedom Hoodie in Heathered Black

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I sometimes get to review equipment. Just before I headed out on this camping trip I received a Banner& Oak Freedom Hoodie in heathered black. I was grateful for the cool evenings and mornings so I could try this out. I usually wear a women’s large, so I ordered this in a medium and the fit was perfect, coming down over my waist and wrists. I like the length, but if you’re shortwaisted, you may find it is too long. The fabric is super soft and lightweight, not bulky.

When I put my hands in the pockets I discovered the left pocket had an~1 1/2” hole where the stitching didn’t join the front and back of the pockets. It was high enough that I wasn’t too worried about losing something through the hole, but I did make a point not to put my keys in that pocket; I’ll be running it through the sewing machine. The graphics are simple light gray lettering. It’s 60% cotton/40% poly, so you won’t want to rely on it for a hiking trip, but for hanging around a campsite, it's perfect!

Super Family Friendly

We stayed in our pop up for a quick weekend and we were very impressed. There were several small bathrooms throughout the park which made it super convenient with little kids! We stayed in loop B which was nice and wooded. Plenty of space to back in to and there was a fire ring and picnic table, with plenty of room. There were TONS of kids which was great for us, but may not be everyone’s cup of tea. The band on Saturday night was so fun and the kids loved it. The pool was extra clean and nice. Everything else was super clean and easy to access. We will be back for sure!

Ranger Review: Banner& Oak Trek Burgundy Ladies Cap at Zealand Falls Hut

Campground/Hut Review

I stayed at Zealand Falls hut a few years ago while finishing my pursuit of the New Hampshire 4000-footers and have revisited it a few times on shorter hikes (it’s ony 600’ of elevation and less than 3 miles), including this weekend. It serves as a family-friendly first destination for new backpackers, a jumping off spot for a Bond traverse, or a winter destination. This is one of the few huts open year-round, although in winter you’ll have to hike up Zealand Road to the trailhead.

With a stay in the hut during peak season, you’ll receive a pillow, 3 wool blankets, and family style dinner and breakfast. The rest of the year you’ll have a pillow and maybe a fire in the fireplace in the evening; everything else is on you, so plan accordingly. The co-ed bunkrooms are on either side of the central dining room and kitchen. The bunks are triple deckers and are not assigned. You have lots of neighbors in the bunkroom and someone is likely to snore, so you'll want some earplugs(usually supplied) if you can't sleep through it.

It’s clean, folks are friendly, and the Croo will entertain while reminding you of the rules of hut life. There are compost toilets and cold running water. There are games and books for entertainment. Snacks are available. There may be a nature talk. If the skies are clear, you’ll want to check out the stars. A stay in the hut is pricey, but it's a great bargain if you have a long traverse ahead of you and want to keep your load a bit lighter.  Be sure to make your reservation well in advance; the ease in reaching it makes it a popular spot! Zealand is one of the cozier huts.

One of the nice things about this hut is its location next to Zealand Falls. This late in the summer the water flow was on the low side, but I’ve been here when it’s been so high after a heavy storm that hikers had difficulty crossing it. From the ledges you have a view across the pond toward Mt. Tom and toward Nancy, Chocorua, and Carrigain. Relax on the rocks and soak up the sun, listen to the water, & chat with fellow explorers, or sit on the porch and greet hikers as they arrive. Time it right and you’ll likely meet AT through hikers with tales to tell.

Product Review: Banner & Oak Trek Burgundy ladies cap

As a Ranger with The Dyrt, I sometimes get to review equipment. This time around I had a Banner & Oak Trek Burgundy cap for ladies. I chose it because I like caps with a low crown and this was in a color I frequently wear. Rain was threatening and I’m always trying to keep raindrops off my glasses, so this seemed like a good time to try it out; I find a cap also helps keep my hood in place. The fabric is so soft (true of all 3 Banner & Oak items I tested) and it’s easily adjustable, so the fit was perfect. Easily…that’s the operative word here. Banner& Oak chose a closure that makes adjustments so much easier than the ones where you have feed it through a bit at a time. Open the clip, pull the end, close the clip when it’s at the right spot.There’s a metal rim where the tab feeds into the cap so it won’t wear. The brim is slightly curved, which I like. I’m looking forward to a lot more hikes with my Banner and Oak cap!

Hidden gem

This place is a hidden gem! We find this place on a whim from a local who suggested we check it out. The lots are huge with fire pits. Our site was right on the river! You can swim right in the river. Pet friendly. They have a recreational area right as you enter. The owners are super sweet and nice. 100% yes!!

Awesome

Large sites River front Well worth the drive

Top Notch

We just spent 5 days at this wonderful campground. They have paid attention to all of the finer details. Beautiful landscaping, well leveled sites, very clean and neat. The staff is wonderful. My only disappointment with the camp is that there are only a few sites with sewer hookup. However, the dumping station is conveniently located, so if you have a small tank, daily trips are not a problem. There is plenty to do in the area - Littleton is a beautiful little town. The old houses in are incredible. New Hampshire is not a dog friendly state, but a short Drive into Vermont gets you access to many fine restaurants where you can bring your dog. Be sure to visit Dog Mountain in Vermont- a truly touching memorial to departed pets.

Beautiful Fall Camping Spot

Went up for Columbus Day weekend in 2018. Even though it was raining, it was a beautiful location for the fall. The lake is quiet at that time and few people are around - but it wasn’t deserted. The bathrooms were clean and had stalls, showers, and real sinks(!). The campsite itself was beautiful. We had a spot right next to the water. We pitched our tent and it started to rain the entire night. Somehow we managed to start a fire (even though it took about two hours). The next morning we woke up and steam was rising out of the water. It was quite stunning so we decided to go in for a morning swim! The water was still and warmer than the air, the trees were full of color, and it was truly an incredible time to be up there. They had kayaks and cables for rent by the beach but the rentals weren’t open that late into the season.

1st visit

We stayed on lot 47 and 49. Had a great time staying. Only issue was no handicap bathrooms

Awesomeness

This campground is super kid friendly, a nice trail to take a walk/bike ride, A lake to swim, canoe, kayak in. A playground for kiddos to run extra energy off. only down fall it’s a state park so the beach area can be very packed during operating hours. I personally find spots along the trail and let kids play in water were it’s not so crowded. Overall I love it and my kids enjoy it. We started 2yrs ago and we plan on making it our summer camp spot. Also we tent it and the camping sites are pretty big and neighbors aren’t to close.

happycamper

“Glamping” at its finest

Came here year after year for the culture and ability to entertain without leaving! On premises hiking trails, pool (with water slide), and arcade. When you don’t feel like driving to a trailhead, or into town to do some shopping, this place is perfect for hanging at the site and letting the kids run off on their own. Sites are generally well wooded, well sized, and a bit close together. Water and electric are available, to complete your glamorous car camping experience. It’s a great place to introduce someone to the idea of camping without making them hike a mile with 40% of their body weight on their back. Haha! No cell reception last time I was there, but they had pay phones! REAL pay phones!

Excellent state camp ground

I only spent 1 night, but I wish I could have stayed longer! Checked in late, at 7:45pm (15 minutes before the cutoff) and found the ranger to be SUPER helpful in regards to picking a walk-on site. The lake is beautiful, my site (#4) had plenty of available tinder as well as trees for my hammock and a fair amount of shade. The sites don’t feel super close to each other, but you can easily see and visit neighbors. Unfortunately my fire was too Smokey for nighttime pics. Hopefully I’ll come back to dyrt in the morning to post some that are honestly useful! :/

Chill campsite + great location

When checking in, the ranger described this as "a pretty chill campground"; he wasn't wrong. Even though my dog joined in with some other camp dogs barking at people walking by (sorry neighbors), no one seemed to mind. Most everyone packed and headed out early in the mornings, since Crawford Notch is the perfect place to explore hiking, climbing, swimming…generally being outside. For such a prime location, the campsites don't feel cramped, and there's enough trees surrounding most spots to hang hammocks. No cell or internet service, but who wants that in the middle of the Whites anyway?

Family friendly

Family friendly campground. Short drive to see wildlife from the road.

quiet, large sites

I reviewed this campground last fall after visiting on the final day of the season, but I just had a chance to sty here during a peak summer weekend and have a few additional insights. Fees are now up to $20/night, still a bargain, but it comes with only the most basic amenities, i.e. vault toilets, running water at faucets, picnic tables and fire rings. Although the campground description indicates that the sites are first-come, first-served, this has changed and many of them are available online in advance. I didn't realize this and when i arrived late Friday afternoon I had 5 or 6 campsites to choose from that could accommodate my small teardrop camper; if I were tent camping, I'd have had a couple more sites available to me. The tent only sites require a short walk from the parking area.

When you arrive, each site will be labelled either Reserved or Open.  If it is Reserved, the dates it is reserved will be listed and they may not be contiguous. All the sites filled up Friday night.

I had site 24 which I liked. it was very large and level, with ample space for today's large tents. The water spigot was near the site next door. I could see my neighbors, but they didn't bother me. Every host site always seems to look messy with tarp-covered items and wood piles and site 24 will give you a view of the host site, but it's far enough away that you can ignore it.

If I were in a tent, I'd try for site 22. It's a walk-in site that includes 7-8 steps down, but it opens into a large open area and just a bit beyond there is a small brook, too.

The campground is just a few miles west of I-93 and the town of Woodstock. If you want to hike Mooselauke or the Kinsmans, the Appalachian Trail crosses 112 nearby. Lost River Gorge is nearby as are numerous tourist attractions/activities in Woodstock and Lincoln. Take some time to explore Cascade Park in Woodstock if you want to cool off in the river and lounge on the rocks (park on the street or in the lot that is north of 112 just before the traffic light at Rte 3 in Woodstock). While you're there, pick up ice cream at Coneheads; choose among numerous hard serve ice cream made on site (downstairs) or dozens of soft-serve flavors.

This side of 112 seems quieter than the stretch east of Lincoln. Noise level was quite low. Cell coverage is non-existent for several miles around here; you'll start to get a signal closer to Lost River Gorge in the direction of Woodstock.

Great location

Water hook up was on the opposite side of the site of where the camper needed to be, no sewer hook ups, The owners were very helpful by lending us a hose to help us reach the spigot, offered a honey wagon if needed, and accommodated us to allow our dog to swim. As dogs are not allowed at the beach or dock. Great location but small sites, and a small beach for the amount of sites they have, seems to be set up more for seasonals rather than temporary stay.

Good kids campground

Great campground for kids newer pool, with slides. Had issues with 30 amp service at site was not providing enough power, could not run all my campers amenities While my 20 amp designated outlet at home runs my entire camper with no issue.

Great campground to boat on

Went there this past weekend. Brought our kayaks. I reserved a water front site for that reason. Well worth it. Amazing lake for kayaking, swimming, fishing and exploring. So many little islands and shallow spots to swim around or jump off rocks.

The public beach area is a nightmare, super busy. And we found that there were a few people who didnt respect the quiet hours.  Plus people would drive their cars to the bathrooms at night, in my opinion if you cant walk there, dont go camping. That was a nuisance. A big reason for me only giving 3 stars. Otherwise it's easily a 4 or 5 star.

Great place to stay for so many reasons

This is a great campsite.  Has all the hook-ups you need with free wifi and cable TV.  Quiet, clean with super clean bathrooms and showers. The camp is well maintained.  Has a pool and a couple playgrounds for the kids AND a recreation room with arcade games, pool, ping-pong and other games.  Free DVD and book lending library, so if you aren't enjoying the great outdoors or walking on their nature trails, you can just read or watch.  Easy access to the lake or hiking trails in the area.  Also just a mile away from downtown Meredith where you can do all kinds of stuff.  Staff is friendly and accommodating.

State park

Great state park campground! Some of the sites are close together but there are lakes to swim and places to rent kayaks/canoes/etc. if you need it.

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN BOO BOO!

This place should be called “yogi's ghetto camp". An ICE agents dream. Downtown Lawrence in the woods. Filled with the most disrespectful, loud and obnoxious guests I have ever seen and heard. Nobody spoke English and if they did, they were foul mouthed white trash. When we first arrived we were pleased with office and the store was clean, so we were not tipped off to anything unusual. We quickly realized this campground was riddled with health and safety concerns. The bathrooms: We could not ignore the extreme smell of urine in the air. I first chalked it up to someone in a nearby camper having their tank back up or that a toilet in a bathroom had trouble. But the smell never subsided. I went to the bathroom and found puddles on the floors, a backed up toilet and if you can believe it, soiled feminine napkins on the floor. Thankfully we have a working bathroom in our camper, however throughout the 2 days we were there the smell of urine continued. The kids zone: DANGEROUS- We would not allow our children inside the bounce house due to the fact that it wasn't being tended to by a staff member. There were about 45+ children, preteens and older teens inside at the same time jumping, smashing into each other and screaming. This bounce house is a medical emergency waiting to happen. As we were waiting in line to allow our children to use the inflatable water slide, one child literally flew out the side landing on the rock gravel ground. The pools and"hot tub"- OMG someone PLEASE shut this place down! DANGEROUS- both physically and for people's health. No staff or Lifeguard, Unattended children, preteens and teens jumping on top of each other, pushing each other, dirty brown water, used bandaids left on the side of the pool, tripping hazards left around the edge of the pool, wall to wall humans packed into this pool like sardines. You literally could not move. It's shocking that a child hasn't drown in this pool due to the rough housing of the animals dressed like children, tripping hazards and no space to swim. One day a child is going to slip under the water and nobody will realize they're in trouble until it's too late. The hot tub was a small hole in the ground with 20+ adults and 10-15 children packed inside it. Dead bugs, dirty water and pool diapers laying on the side. The golf carts- holy hell- a tragedy waiting to happen! 10 year olds driving up and down the wrong sides of the road with trucks and campers being hauled in and out. Not a single staff member insight to enforce any rules or to stop children from driving. The adult drivers were just as bad! The"beach"- A free for all! No room to move because of the over crowding. Trash left everywhere because the trash can was full. Empty beer and alcohol bottles. Public drinking and intoxicated adults screaming, swearing and fighting. Not one staff member in sight regulating the number of people in one canoe or kayak. Tent sights- Picture 25-30 people in two tents on one sight. The overcrowding for the small amount of sites was unimaginable and none of them spoke English. If you think I have described the worse circumstances for a campground, please multiply it by 10! You cannot imagine how bad it is based on my description. We actually left a day early because I could not handle the deplorable conditions or smell any longer. I am currently working with Pamela Vose at the New Hampton town offices as well as Preston Young at the NH Governors office to get some agencies involved. This place needs to be shut down. If you have similar complaints and concerns as I do, please contact Pamela at pvose@new-hampton.nh.us or Preston Young at preston.young@nh.gov immediately. The only way to get them shut down is to get as many people to email as possible.

Nice place for the price

Older campground, friendly staff with lots of older seasonal sites. We paid $35 for a full hook up and had no problems. Rest rooms could use some updating, the large one was clean, the smaller one not so much and had no TP that day. The fire pits were full of ashes so maybe he only cleans it once a week and we were there on a Wednesday. For that price I would stay there again if I was in the area.

Great stay at Twin Mountain KOA

This was a great campground that we stayed at in July 2019. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Over the weekend, they organized various activities including a pancake breakfast. The whole campground was very well maintained and the bathrooms were very clean.

Large group camping

Went camping here in a large group on the normal camp sites, had a couple booked next to each other. Worked out great, and the park has plenty of trails to explore for any level of fitness/expertise.

Dispersed camping, be bear aware!

Tripoli Road is a seasonal road, opening in late May most years and closing in autumn. Check the White Mountain National Forest Facebook page for up to date road closures/status. The section before Russell Pond often opens before the rest of it, which is graded, not paved. The road runs between the Waterville Valley area and I-93 exit 31. This is roadside camping, no frills, first come, first served. You must stay at a site with a fire ring, but sites are not numbered. Road signs demarcate no camping zones; some areas look like they could be campsites, but will also be marked with no camping signs.

You must register at the ranger station on the western end of the road, shortly past the entrance to the Russell Pond campground. Rates are a flat rate set per car and per weekends or weekday period. In other words, you pay one rate for 1-5 weekdays ($20 in 2019) and another fee for a weekend($25-30 - holidays). It’s self service most of the time, with the ranger available Friday and Saturday evenings.

The sites vary from sites near and level with the road to ones set above or well below the road. Some are near a river, most are wooded. Some are isolated, others are close together. There are no reservations, so you'll be choosing your own when you arrive. Downhill sites closest to the Russell Pond area seem to be most popular. Most of these were occupied on a late June weekend, while those farther down the road remained empty.

There are port-a-potties near the western entrance, but otherwise you’re on your own with cat holes or portable toilet solutions. Nearest showers are at Russell Pond. Please keep it clean and protect the area. I’ve passed through several times while hiking My Osceola and have observed that these sites are often filled with groups or families with multiple tents. On a late June weekend there are numerous empty sites, so they seem to be more available than the dispersed sites along Gale River Rd and Haystack Rd (farther north in Twin Mountain). Excessive drinking and noise can be an issue.

You need to be aware that bears are in the area. Following the July 4, 2019 holiday, the camping area was closed after bears visited campsites and got into food that was left in the open and not secured in vehicles or bear canisters. The camping area re-opened July 19, but check the White Mountain National Forest FB page before heading up there. If the issue recurs, I wouldn't be surprised if they close it again.

Hiking in the region include the Osceolas (moderate hike with beautiful views, exceedingly popular and crowded on autumn weekends - get there early!), Tripyramid, and Tecumseh. Shorter treks include Welch-Dickey (great open ledges) and Snow's Mountain (along a river with falls). Nearby Russell Pond offers ranger programs, fishing, and you can put a kayak or canoe in. The Pemigewassett offers tubing and kayaking put ins. Outfitters one exit south can provide you with transportation and rentals. Exit 32 for Lincoln, Woodstock, and the Kanc is less than 5 miles north.

Cell service is decent at nearby Russell Pond (Verizon seemed to offer better service than AT&T).

Campground at beginning of saco river in mountains

Grest spot for some river fun and relaxing. Very central to white mountain region. Fun for all ages. Tubing, swimming, playing in the river that runs along the campground.

Great Family Campground

Eastern Slope is a very friendly campground.  The site's are not very private, but that is hard to come by if looking for a camp ground with amenities.   This Camp ground has 2 Beaches on the Saco!  I could see the ball field from my site and was very happy as my 7 year old wanted to play with the kids and we could see him.

We cant wait to go back.

Nice Area

The new owner is friendly. The location is beautiful. Limited cell service in the area. WiFi at the store only. Camp store is well supplied. Multiple shower/bathhouse/restroom buildings but the one near our site was small and not well lit. Shower stalls could to be longer to allow for dressing after shower. Shower use is $.25 for 5 or 6 minutes, which is fine because the nightly site fees are reasonable. Our site was on the river which was scenic and nice to listen to. River is rocky and shallow, not good for tubing, swimming, etc., we were also very close to the road, which was fine most nights but there was a lot of late Saturday night traffic that was noisy.

Not for tenting

Before staying at this campground, consider the following:

1. The campsite is directly on route 302, the traffic noise, particularly the long-haul trucks, is constant and makes it impossible to sleep(you are that close to the road and there is no woods, trees or sound a barrier of any kind, to absorb the sound)

2. There are no woods, no place to collect kindling, no way to start a campfire

3. Campfire grates are available, for rent

4. The sites are separated by a single thin line of trees, so minimal privacy

5. The campsite ground is uneven

6. The sites are not raked, so there are small rocks and pebbles everywhere

7. There are street lights on route 302 directly across the road from the campground, so it never gets totally dark

7. You may feel like you are tenting at a truck stop rather than camping at a campground

We reserved site R04 and when we arrived realized it was too small for three adults, two tents, and two dogs, so we rented R05 upon when we arrived. We left the next morning because of the noise and lack of"camping atmosphere." When we talked with the woman in charge, and said we would be leaving, she said"sorry". When i asked if she could compensate us, even for one of the six nights, she said"sorry you already checked in." I could have had a better experience camping in my background. However, we were lucky enough to get a campsite at Lost River Campground in Woodstock, NH. A beautiful, peaceful, campground, that cares about is guests and their overall experience.

Dispersed roadside camping near Twin Mountain Trailhead & Franconia Notch

If you can't snag a site along Gale River Rd or you are looking to hike the Twin Mountains, then continue a little farther north on US 3 near Twin Mountain (a little north of the Beaver Brook Picnic Area) and try your luck on Haystack Rd. This road is closed in winter and will open in late spring after the road has dried out and any repairs have been made. In 2019, it opened in mid-June. Check the the White Mountain National Forest FB page or website (FB is usually more up-to-date) for road status, including closures in the autumn.

When open, you can drive in to one of 11 numbered, wooded sites and camp up to 14 nights for free. You may have up to 3 vehicles and 15 people on a site. The only amenity is a fire pit, but the road ends at the Little River, offering fishing and swimming options. The parking lot at the end of Haystack Rd serves as the Twin Mountain trail head. You may see moose or bears in the area.

Franconia Notch State Park is just south of here, with its hikes, recreation trail, echo lake, and the Flume. Head east on 302 and you'll find yourself in Crawford Notch State Park with waterfalls and hikes.

Forgot something? Fosters Corners just a few miles north has an eclectic selection of essentials as well as gas. Or take I-93 north to Littleton to a wider variety of shops.

Great family campground!!

Been going here for years ! Quiet friendly campground. With river access, clean bathrooms, showers Has a playground for kids. Swimming pool Always having crafts for children Very friendly staff.