The best DRIVE IN camping near
Mendota , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Mendota Camping Reviews
Fun weekend trip

We traveled to this state park for our annual girls weekend camping trip. We stayed @ campsite 113 in the Savana campground.

The park was absolutely gorgeous and we truly had a wonderful time! Location wise the park itself was super convenient - it was close to the cities, we got there in under an hour from where we live (near Chaska).

There were plenty of trails to explore and our campsite had plenty of room. Although there were a lot of people staying at the park when we went, we didn’t feel very cramped for space.

We stayed in the Savana campground which was really nice. However, if we were to come back I think we’d opt to stay in the Riverway campground. It was really gorgeous down by the river. We walked the riverside loop trail and really enjoyed it!

It was also really fun being close to Stillwater and Marine on St. Croix. The weekend that we camped, the weather was less than par- cold and rainy for most of it! So we spent a couple hours at the winery in Stillwater to warm up :)

Camel Trek - Night 3

Stayed here due to its proximity to Minneapolis airport…had an early flight the next morning. Really convenient location. No problems. Facilities were really well maintained. We didn’t see the sites in daylight hours but appreciated the cleanliness of the park. We stayed the last night of their camping season and were able to utilize water and electric hookups.

Camping here for 30 years.

I've been camping here since I was a little kid. My family used to host large family camping trips here. Lots of close camp sites for larger groups near the entrance. The further back you go on the road, the more spread out sites get. There are a few walk-in sites that I absolutely love. Show up early on weekends if you want one of the better spots. Pluses: The trails are a lot of fun.. lots to see. The outhouses are kept up well and pump water road side. Minuses: People leave their camps a mess a lot of the time. I usually spend the first hour cleaning up. TONS of poison ivy. Sand fleas.

I still get up once a year, early summer.

Beware of lots of trees.

Very nice park if your RV is not to big. I put our 38 foot 5th wheel in a site but you better be on your game here. Lots of shade and big trees. Love being on the bike trail and the hiking is fair. On the lake but you need to be in middle of this lake if you want to get wet. Unless you enjoy swimmers itch. Not even very nice fishing on the dock Unless you like green fish. As most State parks in MN you better get your reservation in early if you want a site with electric. If your good without. It's a great park.

Camping in the Big Woods

This is a great campground for Fall camping. The color's are amazing. Nice hiking trails. Little area to get wet but not swimming. Sites are good and some can handle bigger RV's. Some Electric sites. Nice dump station. Closed all 2020 camping season for Covid. Great for a weekend getaway.

So Much to Do!

This is such a great campground for families! So many activities including a water recreation area, petting zoo, shuffleboard, mini golf, pool, toddler water park, multiple playgrounds, basketball and more. The only drawback is they REALLY pack you on like sardines and the roads are really narrow so unless you get there early your camping tip is going to start with the “backing in argument.”

Relax and unwind at this privative campground!

Lake Auburn Campground part of the Carver Park Reserve was an awesome primitive style campground. We stayed here in late September and into October. There are 57 sites with an unguarded beach, playground, volleyball court and tons of miles of trails to shred on foot or bike. All of the campsites are very clean along with all of the other facilities and amenities they offered. The playground is awesome for all ages as it accommodates something for all ages and size groups from a traditional playground set for the younger ones, volleyball net and concrete bag toss boards(which you would need to bring your own bags, but possibly could rent if the office was open). I think there are more things that you can rent when the office is open as well(only during prime season). We would highly recommend staying at this campground and look forward to checking it out in the summertime!

Check out our blog at www.unnamedadventures.com and follow our journey on Facebook and Instagram or on our YouTube Channel at Unnamed Adventures.

Lots to Explore/Learn

I’ll say, one of the best parts of this park is all the interpretative kiosks. Love learning about the forestry and history of state parks!  Also many options for trails which is great. A lot of wildlife here, I heard a ton of coyotes and geese, a woodpecker, and a beaver under the bridge in the evening chomping away at peeling logs… totally scared me at first but he was just doing his job and I tried not to bother him!

I stayed at the backpacking site: SPRING. It’s just a short hike (bout 400 meters)  from the river access where there is a vaulted toilet snd water year-round. The site had a bench overlooking the river and a rugged stair for water access. Also had a little personal rustic toilet just a trail behind the site. Nice and wooded campsite, soft dirt, and fairly spacious! In wet months, I bet it's pretty muddy. The only drawback is that the trail it’s situated on is the hiking club trail and heavily trafficked. I stayed in winter, where you could see through the trees and all that tho. Maybe in summer, it’s more secluded? But still, something to keep in mind.

Took a peek at the campground- some of the most spaced out and wooded sites I’ve seen yet. I like that they made it in separated loops, to avoid through traffic distracting your stay. Love the visitors center, great overlook, and interesting information. By the trail center, which is also very cozy and rents, skis and snowshoes and has a great inside fireplace, there is an interpretative walk about white pines- great for kids to imagine those huge trees! They do a great job aiding the imagination as you walk along the short trail.

Camper cabins here are up on a bluff- didn’t stay there but totes want to! Nicely situated.

Everything that I checked out here was very well managed and they clearly put a lot of time and care into making this park functional, interesting, and accessible. I loved my little backpack site but can’t wait to come back to camp in the summer or rent a cabin! The river is gorgeous, even as it was frozen in winter!

Great campground

Nice campground with amenities, pool and water play area for kids. Nice on-site store for any needs. I have a small travel trailer that is self contained so I could reserve spots down by the river. Ability to go tubing down the river. You can even get pizza delivered by the local Chanticlear Pizza!

I give it a 4 star only because twice I ran into the same group of people that thought it was ok to open up their vehicle doors and blast music well into the night. Owner warned them the first time but quiet time isn’t until 11 pm. 2nd trip, I just packed up and left.

Nice

Nice showers and restrooms. Paved RV pads. Near lake and excellent bike path. Great brewery and winery close by.