Chums Corner, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Chums Corner Camping Reviews
Safe, friendly, quiet, kid friendly, the best.

Friendliest people. Amazing staff. Beautiful little campground. Honestly everyone is so friendly. Bathrooms are always clean as are the showers. There's wood and ice on the property. A great little cafet. A small general store. We have so much fun here. Tge owners are amazing. Honestly I hate writing such a great review simply because I don't want to loose my camping site. Lol people find a great place like this it'll always be booked. But honestly you can't go wrong here. The place is sandwiched between the betsie river and a paved bike path. Your 2 mile from a great beach and lake michigan. 20 min from the dunes. 35 or 40 min from Traverse city and it's gorgeous views and fun stuuf to do. Did I mention wine. Wineries are plentiful in this region too. Plus some micro brew. Just awesome. There's a small playground for the kids in this park. It's so safe the kids ride bikes and walk all over the campground with out much concern.

One of our favorites

My husband and I grew up in Onekama. It was important for us to spend time with our kids near our favorite places and this park allowed us to do that. My favorite part is that we can see the sunset every night and go right across the street for some hiking! Our kids are grown up, but we have so many fond memories work time there and still enjoy camping there.

Twisty campground layout makes for a beautiful place

This national forest campground is right along the river. A hiking trail goes right from camp. In fact there is also a day use parking area. Peterson bridge is big and crosses right outside camp.

The road in camp twists and turns providing a wonderful layout. Campsites are spread apart and are facing all different ways. There were a lot to choose from when we stopped in on a Thursday. It's nice to have paved campsites in a national forest camp. It wasn't raining when we were here but we still appreciated the pavement.

The Manistee River Trail is not far away either - perfect for day hiking or an a weekend backpack. This is a great spot to spend some time.

A beautiful area with only a few camping options

We were lucky and found an open site but they filled up by mid afternoon. Reservations might be the best way to go here.

Our site had nice distance between the next camp but others are closer together. We had lots of room- enough so that the dog didn’t even get disturbed by other campers. Our camping area was beyond the car- think a straight line back the opens up into a circular camping area. Some sites are right on the water and provide sunset beauty. Vault toilets and water are available. They had a sign advertising a local place offering showers for a small fee.

We walked over to the lighthouse. They give tours and have a camp store/gift shop. There aren’t really any trails there but you can get to the water in a bunch of places. 3 miles down the road is another part of the state park. There are some very nice hiking trails here. They are wide and go in loops giving options for distance. We went to the overlook and then down to the beach. Sadly dogs aren’t allowed on the beach so Dakota rolled in the sand at the edge and we continued hiking.

Make sure you visit the small towns and wineries/cideries. There is a lot to do on this peninsula.

Versatile

The scenery was beautiful in the fall. The leaves really give it a gorgeous picturesque appeal. This trail/campground is very versatile. You are able to kayak to campsite directly on the river but also do through hikes or backpack, and camp in different atmospheres. Hike in and do a 2-3 day hike or hike in for the day and enjoy the beautiful scenery if you’re crunched for time. Though a very popular spot, going on the weekdays allows some solitude but also comraderie when seeing the fellow hiker.

Relaxing rustic

Great park. Sites near water are great. Far enough away but close to town if needed. Great area.

Nice, peaceful campground.

This campground is very nice and peaceful (especially during the day when most campers are off canoeing.) I think seeing it was in the middle of the National Forest, I assumed there would be a lot to do, but from what I can tell it’s mostly a campground for people who want to canoe in the area. We did not, so there wasn’t much to explore by foot other than the campground itself. We were able to walk to the river, but from what we saw (the office was closed our first full day there) there weren’t any other trails accessible from the campgrounds. I’d recommend planning your trip and daily activities ahead of time. Our cell service was non-existent which was a great way to disconnect, but difficult when not knowing the area well. We made the best of it, and still had fun walking around the site during the day and enjoying the view from our campsite.

Rustic and close to awesome adventures!

Every year I camp on the Green Lake side of Interlochen State Park, and this year was the first year I allowed a guest - my fiance. It's an absolutely beautiful state park, with lots of access to the lakes and in close proximity to Traverse City and Leelanau, without the tourist rush. The only thing I wish is that it was a little more quiet, because it is a very popular campground so they're usually booked up, but that's what we get for it being such a nice spot. I book the same spot every year with a great view of the lake, but the grounds aren't lacking for beautiful campsites! The store on the other side of the park is convenient. It's also Michigan's first official state park, which is neat!

I highly recommend taking the time to travel up the Leelanau Peninsula and visiting Fishtown and the Sutton's Bay Farmers Market on Saturdays during the summer. Also highly recommend St Ambrose Cellars in Beaulah if you like mead.

Nice spread out sites on shore of Lake Michigan

Loved this campground. Quiet and surrounded by lake shore. Not a lot of sites and they are well spaced. Some are right on the lake…bring your kayak! Pit toilets only as I recall. Nice swimming beach and plenty of parks, wineries, brewpubs, and cute little towns to visit in the area. Historic lighthouse at this park as well.

Great

Very nice, well taking care of.

Great Host

This campground is the quintessential fish camp. Regulars have their gear here all season long. Sue, the host, is lovely and accommodating. She made us feel very comfortable and checked on us often. Full hook up at each site, and pit toilets if needed. The fish station was very well done my husband said.

Very friendly!

We were greeted by a very friendly lady at check-in. She had our reservation ready and explained the best route to our site. The owner then pulled up in a golf cart and led us to our site. The sites are nice and very level, but a little close together. There are several trees throughout the campground that are decorated with green LED lights and create a nice ambience. The campground is directly on Lake Leelanau. They have a boat launch and a swimming beach.

Good stop for snowbirds.

Open all year, nice park, big rig friendly, has full hookups. We enjoy hiking here. The old logging museum is interesting to walk around & check out.

Nice Little Campground

Nice campground that was well kept. Sites were a little bit close together and small but they were nice and grassy. Very nice bike path and easy ride into beautiful downtown Frankfort.

Good campground

It’s been a tradition passed down that some stay at the Reedsburg dam that’s just down the road from Merritt Speedway. The drive is easy enough and close enough to both the track and town. Always satisfied with our camping there.

Amazing rustic

Amazing rustic park, DNR was called on us at 9pm for being too loud even thought it was before quiet hours. So if you’re going you can’t be too rowdy. Views are worth it though

Beautiful scenery

Stayed in the rustic park, very quiet and if you get lucky you’ll get a site right on green lake

Great sites for a state park

We shared a campsite with my sister and her husband last weekend and had a pleasant stay. We had 2 tents and 2 cars on the site and still had plenty of room. It seemed like the sites all had trees (some campgrounds are so close together there are no trees). The restrooms and water were easy to access and not too busy. The camp store was helpful and the campground is located near a Toms Food Market (we forgot some stuff). We found a lost dog and had to call DNR and they were very responsive. It wasn’t too loud even thought the campground was full. We would definitely go back.

Hidden Gem

There are campsites here with direct access to the beach. The campsites are relatively close together but there a lot of tall trees and it was nice and quiet. We stumbled upon this campground completely by accident just in time for sunset and it was absolutely spectacular.

A great way to enjoy TC

While I typically prefer more rustic camping, this was a fantastic and easy way to enjoy Traverse City. The campground was very family oriented and offered plenty of amenities - power outlets, bathrooms (including showers). The camp sites were large and spacious (we fit 3 tents on one) with a picnic table and fire pit. While we didn't have time, the campground is located directly across the street from Lake Michigan. There is a pedestrian bridge for easy crossing.

I'd highly suggesting bringing your bicycles. There is a paved path right from the campground into downtown TC (about 20-30 min ride). You avoid parking and have access to the fantastic food and breweries in town.

If you're looking to for more of a more rustic, nature-oriented camping experience this may not be the best option for you. You could hears the cars from the road and the airplanes started flying overhead at 7am sharp.

Wonderful Campground

Was able to check in early…because campers had checked out early and they had time to check the site…very clean…close to all the great sites around Traverse City…the only thing was where our site was….you could hear traffic from a near by road…but not to bad…would stay here again..thanks

Lovey!

Long, level, pull through. A lot of wonderful things to say - but you'll have to see for yourself! Kids love it here!

My wife and I's favorite place

Lots of room, and fishing along with peace and quiet not terribly busy. Overall nice place to get away for a few days, the water is clear and beautiful along with trophy size fish!

Camping at its best!!

One of the best campgrounds around!

Not impressed

We were on sight 169 this whole side is next to a busy road cars and logging trucks all day and night way noisy, campground was filthy trash everywhere on the trails and sights! Plus no dogs allowed on the beach.

Camp host ??? Unfriendly set with his back to the road and never even waved

Friendly staff, plenty of space to spread out, really nice not to be so close to your neighbors! Beautiful area you can't go wrong here

Lovely hillside campground

Mother's Day weekend was our first trip to this park, but we'll surely be back.

At check in we got a bag of homemade cookies tied with a sprig of evergreen. It was such a great touch. The folks that operate the campground really take great care & it shows. We spoke to a fellow camper that has been camping there for 50+ years and he had nothing, but rave reviews for the current caretakers.

The sites are beautiful and spacious. The park itself is positioned on a hillside next to a lake. We had a site at the top of the hill which I recommend.

There were bathrooms and showers on site; Tent & RV sites; a small playground; boat launch; hiking trails and fire rings and picnic tables at every site.

Interesting place....

Stayed here for a marathon race because EVERYTHING was all booked up given the time of year. First, it’s an older couple who owns it and they are pretty funny about check in / out times because I’m pretty sure it’s just their yard you are camping on. Either way, we wouldn’t be getting in until SUPER LATE and the husband was really nice and accommodating. They also were cool with our three dogs running around and he made sure to put us as far off the beaten path as possible. So overall, it served its purpose for what we needed. Not really sure I’d call it “camping” but more of a backyard hangout? 🤷🏼‍♀️ The RV sites do have hookups and there is a bathroom. Not sure about showers though.

Great Place!

Great place to stay! Pit toilets and pump water stations. Beautiful lake with cool islands! Campsites are large and fairly separated! Can’t wait to go back!

No kids getaway!

Young State Park was a quiet gem of a campground for us. The facilities were clean and the grounds themselves were a pleasure to walk around. The camp store was the best stocked one I’ve seen yet. All the sites were well sized with the exception of the waterside sites which were flooded due to the high lake levels lately. Other than that the campground has a lot to offer, especially being so close to Charlevoix and Petoskey.