Benton Harbor, MICHIGAN

Camping Michigan Benton Harbor

Most Recent Benton Harbor Camping Reviews
Elkhart campground

This place is very clean and well kept. Friendly

Not a bad spot for 2 nights

We came in on Sunday at check in time and it was wicked busy as 5 pm check in on Sunday’s is also 5 pm checkout. The spots are pretty level and paved however they are are fairly close to each other and there is no privacy between the spots around you. We don’t mind that however! The facilities are well taken care of and the people in the front office to answer questions and help with check in were really nice.

The only 2 issues I had with our spot (97) we were almost directly in-front of a large dumpster so all day people walk by and throw their trash in. And Monday morning at around 750 the dumpster service came around and that was very loud. Another issue with the campsite is there is a train near the state park. It runs all day it seems but especially in the morning you can hear it from 6 am onward. I don’t particularly mind it but it did wake me up a few times especially if you are tent camping or have pop outs.

The state park has a lot of trails through the swampy woods and out to the dunes which are really cool. Some are 5 miles long while others are .75. There is also a short walk to the actual lake which is nice as well.

All in all this state park is a 4/5! Great hiking trails, predominantly quiet besides the trash and train, friendly neighbors!

Nice but.....

The good:fairly big sites,clean rest room, friendly staff, well stocked store with the things you forget or run out of, 30&20 amp at the site & a dump station. The bad: the weekend was busy with no available site's(after Sunday afternoon we pretty much had the place to ourself)very noisy you can hear the highway traffic all night & a train a couple times a night.

Great design and very nice owners

This is a newish campground and my kids had a great time! My husband and I also were also completely satisfied with the RV area that all the sites were level and they were all pull through and everyone was facing outward towards the wooded area even though the RV area was in 2 circles I enjoyed the view. My kids LOVED the HOT showers that were impeccably clean and they walked the Kal-Haven trail and said it was beautiful (my kids are all teenagers) so they were safe to go on their own. But of course bringing bikes would be even better! There was a cute store with all the necessities as well as t-shirts and Free coffee in the mornings. We will be back as we just enjoyed spending time at the campground and we didnt even get to South Haven.

This is your typical Michigan State campground, it’s an older campground so there’s lots of trees on most sites. We had site 111, it was level and well treed, it was also huge! We had our 5th wheel, 2 tents and 3 cars and still had plenty of room for more. Bathrooms were clean and the showers, even being a little dated were also clean and had plenty of hot water. The lake levels are pretty high so there isn’t much beach left but what is there made for 2 very nice beach days. The sunset views from the dunes was awesome! There’s a path going thought the middle of the campground that leads to the beach, about a 10 minute walk from our site. The playground had kids in it the whole time with an old style merry-go-round being the kids favorite. The campground was full but was quite and well maintained, we saw numerous patrols by the campground staff both during the day and at night, they are friendly and helpful if you have questions. All in all I will be going back to this campground

Okay campground

There is an active railroad nearby this campground. 4 Trains woke us up during the night. I won’t stay here again

Very nice and friendly

Stayed for a weekend. The campground was clean sites were all very nice and pool was really clean. The dog park was a nice added bonus. It could very possibly become our new weekend getaway

Quiet

Mostly grass and gravel pull through spaces. We had site 61 under some nice shade trees and the lot was very level. Park staff was very helpful after a storm blew through cleaning up limbs and litter. Nearby House of David grounds were eerie abandoned but historical. Walking distance from the campground. Saint Joseph was a great little town for shopping. Bento Harbor was run down and dirty.

Family Friendly

Small campsites, outlet on site, clean bathrooms, great walking paths and short walk to the lake. Very family friendly with lots of kids.

Decent

We stayed here due to it’s proximity to a wedding that we were attending. Like every campground, your experience is good or bad depending on the site you get and the people who are camping nearby. We lucked out and got one of the more spacious sites (#63) with some privacy bushes/trees in between. Not all of the sites here are like that, some seemed like they were very open and close to one another. Most of the sites did not appear to be very level, so if you are in an RV bring your leveling blocks. The campground has over 200 sites, but only two bathroom buildings, so depending on where you end up, it could be a long walk to the loo. The showers were individual locking units, unisex/ family, so if you had a few little ones you could all go in at once and keep them contained. The showers themselves were clean and adequate, although somewhat dated. I did not see any ADA showers that would accommodate a wheelchair or walker, but then again I may have missed that. Over all a decent place to stay, average noise and busyness for a state campground. Close by to beaches and dunes, although the walk from the campground to the beach is a bit long if you are hauling gear, you may opt to drive to the beach parking lot instead.