Hancock, MASSACHUSETTS

Most Recent Hancock Camping Reviews
Home away from home ❤️

This campground has come so far in a short time! The new owners complete upgrades every season. Themed weekends and an annual car show. We are returning for our 4th season and cannot wait until May 2020!

Beautiful Campground

This is a small campground with a beautiful pond in the middle. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Price is very reasonable. Sites have water, sewer and 30 amp electric. Had a wonderful rally ( NE Pacers).

Family friendly/ rocky tent campsite’s

Located in the Catskills. This is a family friendly there’s bathrooms/showers playground, pool, potable water and a outdoor pavilion. Located near hiking in the Catskills and 15 mins to Woodstock.

The tent site are very richly and uneven, it was very hard to pitch a tent. When it rains theres a horrible smell across the campground.

Beautiful waterfall hikes

Nice little weekend getaway. Clean bathrooms, roomy tent sites, nice staff. Fun playground and nature area for kids. Very family friendly place with beautiful hikes to Hamilton falls.

busy with permanent longterm campers but lovely hearing the river babble by

Tent camped here with my dog for two nights. Was sold absolutely green wood that would not burn (why do campgrounds always do this??).  First site I was given was out of view of the river, which was entire reason for visiting.  Campground owner was accommodating and found me a spot that overlooked the river (why not do that from the start?).  There is no privacy whatsoever to the sites, and sites are one on top of the other (my tent was basically uncomfortably close to neighbor's fire pit, but there was no other option for pitching elsewhere).  The nights were very loud with kids screaming and people partying.  It's a mishmash of sites too -- my tent was squished in between a permanent trailer and a weekend fifth wheeler.  But the river was magnificent and I could hear it babble by all night; very relaxing once the place quieted down.  Very close to Townsend State Forest and a beautiful hike up Bald Mountain, which looks to have really nice, spacious and quiet tent sites (already booked for next year).

Small, loud, muddy

Unfortunately, I was not a big fan of this small campground. Right from the start, upon checkin, I bought two $5 ea. bundles of wood after being assured they were "kiln dried".  The wood wouldn't catch no matter what I tried -- not even with the help of some fire starter.  The tent site itself was very small and barely fit my truck and tent.  It was made smaller still because of the mud and holes on the perimeter of the site. At night, there was a lot of traffic noise nearby and despite a posted quiet time, other campers were slamming car doors over and over and talking at the top of their lungs, making it difficult to sleep. The surrounding state forest was pretty and the trails were in decent shape.

Nice and quiet campground in the woods

Once again, we arrived after dark (the days are way too short in the fall)! and although Google Maps guided us correctly to this campground, we also appreciated the very good signage directing us! This campground is set way back in the woods and except for the hooting owl and an occasional barking dog from other campers, it was VERY quiet. No road noise at this campground!

The campsites are spread out over a big area. Sites 1-9 are located near Berry Pond and are serviced by a pit toilet. The rest are about 1.5 miles south on the loop road. We were originally in site 29 but we would have had to walk through a path in the woods to get to the bathroom; since it was dark when we arrived, we were happy to switch to Site 32, much closer. Our site was level but not all of them appeared to be so. Many trees provide privacy. It looked like the restroom/shower building was fairly new and it was very clean. There is also a group campground and day-use areas.

The next morning, I set off to walk the loop road, thinking it would be a couple of miles at most. Surprise– it was over four miles and HILLY! I got a good workout, but it was a beautiful walk. The reward was seeing Berry Pond and the view when I finally reached the top of the hill. Wish we had more time to take a hike or explore the area more.

Really more of an RV park now.

This was our third year tenting at this campground, each trip was the same weekend in September to attend the FreshGrass music festival in North Adams, MA. While there are a few designated tent sites, it’s clear this is an RV park. The new-ish owner greeted us enthusiastically, as always, but seemed so distracted by everything else going on that it made it difficult to understand what he’s trying to tell you. We found it a little rude to be treated as though, because we were tenters and weren’t hauling in a camper, we were not as important as the crowd of RVs pulling in.

We booked our site in mid-April for a September stay and requested a specific site as requested on the registration form, but upon arrival the owner moved us to a different site with no explanation.

Overall the campground is clean and family-friendly, with activities for the kiddos. The bathroom/shower is adequate, but far away from tent sites and look unfinished and a bit rundown. I assume this will be the next renovation for the new owners.

We go every year and love it

Friends and I camp here every June, and we love being close to the river. We sleep in tents so the sound of the river put  you to sleep at night. Excellent campground for cooking delicious meals over the fir and sitting around the fire later. We also tube down the river. Very clean restrooms and nice staff.

low key and beautiful fall getaway

Keep in mind that this review is written after camping sept 8th (the week that school started for many) so it might not be relevant to peak camping season. We were pleasantly surprised with our weekend getaway to Clarksburg State Park. Nestled in the Berkshires and basically walking distance to Vermont, Clarksburg State Park provides a comfortable and semi-private tent site. Several spots (including ours 6) were very close to the rather large pond. While the trees obstruct the views, the site was waterfront and we were able to walk a few yards downhill to the waters edge where we launched our kayaks (there is a designated launching spot elsewhere). No electric and water hookups are provided but we were totally okay with that. Bear boxes were provided on each site so that you don’t have to keep stinky food or garbage in your car! Each site also had a fire pit with a grate so that you can cook right there on the fire. The bathrooms were some of the cleanest campground bathrooms and showers i’ve experienced (no bugs or webs also) and there was a dishwashing station on the side. The sites were large and well spaced but they had trees in between so that you felt privacy. The campground itself had plenty of sites, firewood for sale in the front and a pavilion and beach area on the day use side. There are plenty of trails you can hop on right outside your tent site and very little light pollution for optimal star gazing. We really enjoyed our time here and will definitely be back!

Very Nice

This place is very beautiful and rustic at the same time. The employees are all very friendly. Once you get the hang of getting around the area there is so much to do, I can't wait to go back.

Awesome

Very clean and enjoyable. We have gone here a couple times exceeding our expectations.

Restrictive

It seemed like there were a lot of restrictive rules compared to other campgrounds that made camping more stressful.

Great staff

Overall had a wonderful experience at zoar campsite in charlemont ma. Staff was awesome, went out of their way to tAke care of our group from camping to rafting. Highly recommend the site.

Amenities are well maintained. Could use a refresh but overall great experience will be back

Beautiful wooded area

We found the service and campsite lovely. The wooded area was breathtaking. Facilities were clean and functional but needed some maintenance/updating. Camp store was well stocked; staff knowledgeable about the area.

I WOULDN'T GO BACK

Comments about the campground first… This campground is ok. If you're looking for a long drive into the woods with not a lot around, this is your place. It is admittedly quiet. Keep in mind, there is no place to dispose of garbage. So be prepared to haul it out. And there are no places to buy supplies if you forget anything. You will have to drive at least 15-20 miles. So be sure you are prepared or be willing to drive. Also, I concur that any of the sites along the road are terrible(e.g. sites 3-5). The road is a main road and is very noisy. There are bathrooms and showers(one per bathroom.) They are mostly clean. And there is a place to get water and to wash your dishes. Sites 3& 4 are not even separated by trees. So best not to book them unless you want to get to know your neighbors. I can't speak to the other sites. One word of caution… This campground has a zero-tolerance alcohol policy. As with most campgrounds, the website does say"no alcohol". Unlike most, if you bring beer, you can expect to be kicked out without notice. No warnings. Full disclosure, my family booked several sites here and was asked to leave because we had beer with us. We were not rowdy, disruptive or belligerent. We are not kids. We're 40 something professionals with kids of our own. We have all camped in every New England state for many years and had traveled from several different states to be there. We have never had a problem anywhere else. Did we violate the policy? Yes, we did. But that said, I have never camped anywhere that the policy was enforced. Therefore, if you go to Granville, be sure to take the policy seriously.

I was hoping for something nicer

I think its an ok place, they seem to really care about the campground but oursite was like sitting in an open spot on display. Call them up and ask for their help choosing something that offers privacy. The bath house was clean but they have pay showers….really for the price you pay. To camp.  It is convenient to mt graylock. We had a water hookup and gray water dry well.  I dont think i would stay there again.

Not the best campsite

We were able to book site 112 at the last minute and the staff waited for us to arrive. Although they were very friendly, they dropped the ball when it came to cleanliness and park security. We had other campers arrive back at their tent sites across from ours at 11pm and they were inconsiderate of all the sleeping campers with their lights already out. After Midnight I called the office and emergency line but got only the office answering machine. There was a host in a site 2 down from the party and nobody came to address the noise. I had to go and ask them to quiet down twice and lower their spotlight they were using to cook with. They stayed up (about 15 of them) til after 2am. I did email the owner and let him know the situation so I was able to contact someone about it, and he was going to check into it and where the ball was dropped by the staff not patrolling the campground like he said it was supposed to be. We had water and a 15 amp power box at our site and it was great for a tent but not for anything else. The sites are very close together. If you have kids, they have a lot of things for them to do, but when you want to get sleep, it wasn’t the beat place to stop.

A beautiful new (only 10 years old) campground

On the banks of the Hudson River close to Albany & Troy. Large sites with power hookups. There is water available to fill your fresh water tank along the main road. The bath houses are very clean and used for emergency shelter for bad weather. And this is quiet! I can't say enough good things - the best campground I ever stayed at!

Nice, quiet, rustic

Basic camping in a quiet, older campground. Very pretty beach area at the reservoir where you can paddle and swim. No hook ups available but only $20 per night for a site that was plenty big enough for a small motor home. Mostly tent campers though and spots would be tough for anything much bigger. Bathhouse was clean and had a pay shower.

Nice find...

I was headed from NY to ME and decided to make it a two day trip. VT State Parks have a two night minimum but as this was a Thursday I decided to take a shot. Got there in the late afternoon and a couple sites were open so it all worked out.

This was just an overnight stop so I didn't explore much but it is definitely on the list should I get back up that way again.

Site was shaded and private. The bath house was nice. The coin operated shower was a surprise but I had enough quarters for 10 minutes :)

Great Spot!

Big and spacious state park with many camping options. Has options for trailers, tent sites, platforms for tents and even some cabins. Small store in park that sells firewood and ice and a few other things you may need. Big lake with swimming and boating as well as many hiking trails. Bathrooms on site as well as showers. Some sites are close together, but there are a few a little more secluded and set back. Fire pits are great. Can’t wait to camp here again!

Not worth the trip

Stayed here on my way to and from Littleton NH KOA (wonderful place). Sites are crowded, uneven and trashy. Staff is indifferent, not really rude, but not very helpful. Although I had made reservations for both nights, they only had the first, and only a no-show let me have a site. Try someplace else!

"The Whip"

Found this great campground 2 years ago while looking for a seasonal to retire my 1994 Georgie boy cruisemaster too. It has everything you are looking for in a campground. Pool , private 6 acre lake, playground, gameroom, camp store , pavilion area, full hookup sites ,pull throughs, tent sites , pump out service , pump out area. All for a reasonable prices. And it's family run , so it still hasn't got caught up in that corporate campground mentality.

Very nice

Nice campground with wooded sites, a rec hall, pool and small fishing pond. They have a large field for play with basketball and volleyball and even had entertainment Saturday night. Gorgeous area to explore and hike. Would definitely come back.

Ranger Review of GCI at Brookside Campground

Ranger review: GCI at Brookside Campground

CAMPGROUND REVIEW We ended up at this campground because the family we were traveling with needed to accommodate their 50 foot camper. As a rule of thumb- I try to visit as little RV parks as I can, but we were trying to find somewhere that would accommodate both of our needs.

While it is true that this campground does specialize in large groups and is one of the only places in the area that will host a rig as big as my uncles, that was about the only thing it had going for it.

Grounds were dilapidated. It was like they had too much to handle. The lawn was overgrown at our site, the bathrooms were always in need of something… it was just a glorified trailer park.

I will say that the spots were spacious, particularly pertaining to tent sites. However- the brook that the campground is named after is mostly stagnant. So prepare for an abundance of mosquitos!

Another perk is the location. It was really nice to be right near The Catskills. However, I will most definitely be taking advantage of the smaller and quieter campgrounds around.

Would recommend for: people with big rigs. Large groups with children. The sports “complex” and pool actually looked very nice and well maintained. There were kids everywhere.

RANGER REVIEW ON… GCI OUTDOOR CHAIRS

So if you’ve been keeping up with my ranger reviews, you know I am always very pleasantly surprised by the things I’ve gotten the opportunity to test out that I never knew I needed. Camping Chairs were actually on my list of things to acquire this year for our trips, so I was psyched (as usual) when I found out GCI Outdoors would be what I got to check out.

I purchased the “Eazy” chair and the Roadtrip Rocker.

So first, the Eazy chair. It’s a good looking chair that comes packed away in a pouch that slings over your shoulder. It’s pretty heavy, but we happened to be car camping this time around so that wasn’t a big deal. The arm rests are sturdy, the chair is comfortable to sit in.

The Roadtrip rocker I was really excited about. And the thing is pretty awesome. The patented hydrolics is pretty nifty and it’s really neat how it works. I was surprised to find that it packed so easily into its sack, and has a sling so that you can carry it where you need to go.

Grab your own here:

Family friendly

A great atmosphere for everyone in our family. If we make it back out there we definitely will be staying again!

Fun place to stay

We stayed here for a week, the store is not big but has the necessities, there are 2 convenience stores nearby, has a playground for kids, a nice size pool and activities for kids of all ages they had a teen pool party the weekend we stayed, and they had an event to make suncatchers in the morning, they had a Thanksgiving dinner though we did not participate but looked like they had a great turn out, it has bathrooms and showers that you have to pay a quarter per 5 mins seemed more like 10

Very Nice Place

Good sized sites, very clean lake, staff very friendly and accommodating, bath houses were clean. We plan to camp there again

Small, Quiet, Cute!

Hawes is one of the few campgrounds in CT that's dog friendly. The sites are nice and large, with room for trailers, and they also have a few cabin sites as well.

There is access to the Farmington River from the campground for your fishing and paddling pleasure.

In the summer, this place is mosquito central, so bring lots of bug spray or be eaten alive!

The camp office only sells ice and firewood, but there's a Stop and Shop nearby, as well as a couple of general stores.

Last but not least - no cellphone service, which is either a good or bad thing, depending on how you feel about it.