About Lake Taghkanic State Park
Hike In
Lake Taghkanic State Park is located in New York
8 Reviews of Lake Taghkanic State Park
Best swimming experience ever

I went there with a friend and her family on Tuesday and it was awesome!

Very Nice

This place is very beautiful and rustic at the same time. The employees are all very friendly. Once you get the hang of getting around the area there is so much to do, I can't wait to go back.

Great Spot!

Big and spacious state park with many camping options. Has options for trailers, tent sites, platforms for tents and even some cabins. Small store in park that sells firewood and ice and a few other things you may need. Big lake with swimming and boating as well as many hiking trails. Bathrooms on site as well as showers. Some sites are close together, but there are a few a little more secluded and set back. Fire pits are great. Can’t wait to camp here again!

Comfortable, clean, great for stargazing

This campground was one of the best I’ve been to. They have both platform and dirt tent sites, all sites come equipped with fire pits. The bathrooms and showers are clean and the water stayed hot until the last weekend of the season (Oct 12-14, 2018) which was when we were there. The campground has a lake with boat rentals. Late night, stargazing over the lake is a great pastime, because the water is calm and the light pollution is low.

The town of Hudson is also close by if you’re looking to get some of the comforts of a town while you’re out and about.

Platforms great for groups and inclement weather

This was our second time coming to this campground and our second time getting dumped on by the rain, but have no fear!! The platforms kept us off the ground and were helpful in setting up appropriate tarp protection! The lake is gorgeous and there are plenty of nearby hikes for exploring. Wish I would have brought my fishing pole.

Good for family car camping

Great beach, 5 minute drive from campgound. Clean facilities, with a rec room for rainy days. A camp store with all the supplies you might have forgotten.

One caveat: beware of site G006. The grill at the fire pit is upside down, so it doesn't hold level above the fire. Impossible to use. I had to MacGuyver it with a large rock and wedge the grill into place, and then level it with a log. We were lucky that I was able to find these things, otherwise we would have been cooking on our single stove that night. Also, this site was downwind, so occasionally was in the cloud of septic stench.

My advice would be to take the sites on the hill, nearest to the bathrooms, as all these sites seemed to be generally very well maintained.

clean cabins, cottages, beach

no complaints. everything is perfect every year we've been. the lake is beautiful and clean. expect to pay $15 fee (I think) to use your paddleboards / kyacks etc. Worth every penny.

Camping in our 50s

My school friends decided on a camping trip since 1970's. We decided on Lake Taghkanic. Lake Taghkanic State Park was not a long drive from NYC, maybe 2 hours. The campsite was very clean and maintained. We loved the hot showers after a long day of fishing and swimming in the lake. The park offered many activities or just sit around the campsite drinking beers and reminiscing our youth days. We went on weekdays which is not crowded.  Wal-Mart was 25 minutes from the campsite which make making meals lots simpler and refilling our beers. LOL We will repeat.