The best WALK IN camping near
Lonaconing , MARYLAND

Most Recent Lonaconing Camping Reviews
Secluded Camping

Far enough away from the next campsite to enjoy peace and seclusion. Next to a crik for those nighttime lullabies

Fantastic owners

Terrific owners, super attentive, and personal. They take the time to chat with just about everyone who visits their property. They are relentless on maintenance and have about 60 acres to mow and care for. The store onsite has just about anything you could need for your stay including firewood. The river is fantastic and holds trout and smallmouth for those that like to fish. A popular spot on the weekends and gets busy with all types of travelers from class A super rigs to very modest trailers. Ended up staying 2 weeks as the wifi service is the best we have had on the road. The majority of the site is level and grass. I will be back for the bluegrass festival in August (Pickin in Parsons).

Great Tent Camping

Camped here this weekend. We were in a non-electric tent site. There were four of us with two tents and we reserved two sites because their website says they restrict the sites to one tent unless you’re a family then you can have two. Well they don’t really stick to this because the site next to us had seven tents spread across two sites. Walking around we saw several other sites with three and four tents. Besides that, though this was a great site. Wood and ice available for purchase. The bathhouse is a little old but not terrible. They cleaned it multiple times a day due to COVID. Plenty of great trails close to the campsite and the town of Davis nearby for some local eateries and shopping. We plan on returning!

Best Suited for Families

I grew up camping with my family at Rocky Gap every summer. The best feature of Rocky Gap is the versatility of the campgrounds. There are options for RV camping with electric, tent spots, small cabins, and the resort if you would rather have a more comfortable resort experience. Pets are allowed in a select few loops.

They have a range of activities available including a large lake to swim, fish or paddle. There are a few trails for hiking, at least 2 small “beach” areas off the lake with play grounds and a camp store. You can also go over to the casino resort for entertainment and food.

Alcohol is not permitted outside of the resort which is partly why I say this camping experience is better for families. Rangers routinely monitor the site loops and there is a quiet hours period, I believe starting at 10pm and you will have a ranger pull up on you if you do not adhere.

CAMPSITES BREAKDOWN:

Type: Gravel Vehicle Accessible: Yes Size: ~ 1 large tent or 2 compact tents. Most are the same size, fairly small spots. Bathroom: Communal bathhouses in the middle of each loop with toilets, sinks and showers. Fire pit: Yes, with grill grate. Firewood: Must buy firewood at camp store. Water access: Some, depending which part of the loop your site is located on. Electric: No unless RV camping. Alcohol Policy: Not permitted unless drinking in the Resort or a motor home. Other Features: Picnic table, small wood post counter / hook to hang a lantern on and place a camp stove on.

We stayed at the Kentuck Campsite. The sites are close to each other but we had plenty of space at the same time. The hiking trails were beautiful this time of year. Wasn’t a big fan of their restrooms, not very COVID friendly I felt and a bit outdated. That’s the only reason I give it a 4 star.

Great find for anyone

Pull thru sites,full hookups,near I68,Morgantown and Coppers Rock. Activities for the kids and playgrounds. Great views. Minimal Interest noise.

Criminal citation, for pitching tent outside of poorly delineated area

I was camping at site 109; a seemingly very small clearing, feet from the road. At one corner of this clearing is a 5 foot wide trail which leads to a larger clearing, with a large fire pit. I figured this was part of the campsite, pitched my tent there and left my car in the small initial clearing. Woke up to a police officer telling me that although he knew very well the site delineation was very ambiguous, he had no choice but to give me a citation for camping in violation of my permit, which is no less than a criminal offense in MD. Officer admitted regularly ticketing campers this way, and that his superiors didn't care to remedy.

3 stars because the rest was fantastic!

Tent only, expect trail traffic

We did not camp here, but we scoped it out for a future trip. It is tent only (or camper van) because there are barriers between your parking pad and the tent area. Also, be sure to expect a lot of traffic and parked cars and extra people because people park here to do the Big Schloss hike. The vault toilet is very clean and very well stocked with toilet paper, but you will have to share it with all the hikers.

Both dispersed and campground

The Hawk Recreation Area has sites in a loop, these are numbered and near the water pump (which wasn't working when we were there) and the vault toilet. There are also dispersed sites along some of the gravel roads around the official campground. We stayed in one of the dispersed sites and it was un-numbered. The site was great. There was trail access right across the road, there was a fire ring, and a picnic table. There was plenty of wood around, we just drove around to pick up some bigger pieces. Also, you can't beat the free price! We had no service here so be sure to plan ahead.

Secluded except when dam releases

This was a beautiful state forest, with two state parks sort of bordering it (Big Run & New Germany). The roads were all paved which was nice. We got sites 112 & 113 because we had a few people join us. Those sites are right next to each other so it worked out really nicely. 113 was a big open field, and 112 was in a sort of pine forest. Both were relatively close to the road and both had poison ivy along their edges. We got the impression that the road is not very travelled, but we were accidentally there on the weekend that they released the dam, so there were a ton of people driving around looking for an available site. We initially wanted to camp at the whitewater sites, but we are so glad we didn't because those sites ended up becoming a parking lot for people who were there for the dam release. Recommend the High Rock hike and any of the trails in New Germany State Park. One more thing - the map indicated an iron ranger nearby these sites but we couldn't find it, so we ended up depositing our payment at the iron ranger at the white water sites. You could pick up payment envelopes at the headquarters or the whitewater sites.