East Machias, MAINE

Camping Maine East Machias
Most Recent East Machias Camping Reviews
Rockstar.

Rockstar Energy Drinks need your Car, Van, Boat, Bike, Scooter, Wheelchair, for an Advertisements, We need to Plaster our Sticker on it, You Get 500 Dollars Every Week, Email me for more informations: johnbryan037@gmail.com

Gorgeous Coastal Backpacking along the Gulf of Maine

The coast of Maine offers very few places for overnight backpacking or even just seaside hiking. The Cutler Coast Public Reserved Land is one great option. The length of the hiking trails makes this the ideal, weekend getaway location for a two-night campout– just get there early. The sites are few in number, small and difficult to get to, but oh-so-worth-it!

As backcountry sites, there are no picnic tables or fire rings, but each has a clean and convenient composting toilet with a stunning view of the Gulf of Maine.  Each campsite is located close to a freshwater source and a few are within site of a small pebble beach– perfect for swimming if you don’t mind the chilly water.  But, come prepared for bugs -- mosquitoes and black flies are impressive in the late spring and summer!   And, the trails can be quite muddy and soggy.  There is a price for this much beauty in one place!

Located 16 miles east of East Machias, the closest town with gas and a convenience store. Five miles further west along route 1 the town of Machias offers a wider selection of restaurants, farmers markets and grocery stores.

Lots of privacy but that's the only positive

If you want the most private and quiet campground experience you can get without boondocking, this place is for you if you can deal with the negatives.  But in my opinion, it was too rustic and outdated for even me (and I've seen some bad campgrounds in my travels).

To start, when booking our site I was under the impression that it was on the water.. well it is, if you climb down a cliff with a sheer 30 foot drop.  So off the bat, I was already very disappointed because I was expecting we'd be able to launch kayaks directly from our site (there is a public boat launch in the state park, however).  Additionally, our site (and many others) are actually walk in sites with your own parking space - we had to carry our stuff about 30 yards into the site over tons of exposed roots, which for some people could be very dangerous; nowhere on the website does it say they are walk-in sites either.  Our site pad had almost no level areas at all, so our tent was at a slight angle, the bug house we put over the picnic table (totally necessary - see below) was all over the place, and even the included fire pit was on a steep incline, with barely any room for chairs unless you want to try and sit on a slope without falling.  We almost switched with a neighboring site that was more level but were glad we didn't - when it rained two days later, that entire site was flooded for half a day with about 2" of standing water! They really need to engineer the sites better by cutting down a few more trees to increase the size of the site and level them out better.  Also, because the place is so heavily wooded and damp, the bugs are INSANE.  If we didn't have a screen house to put over the table, I would have stayed in the tent the whole time because I was getting eaten alive.

The facilities were one of the worst parts of the stay, however.  I will preface this by saying I am used to using vault toilets, and generally do not have a problem using them for short periods of time.  But their toilets.. I don't even know how to describe them, as I think even calling them pit toilets is over selling them.  The toilets are located in what are essentially little wooden lean-tos, with no engineering whatever to cut down on the smell.  You could literally smell the out houses from about 30 yards away, and every time I would go to use one it was FILLED with flies.  I have never in my life had that experience using vault or primitive toilets.  They are clearly not cleaned very often either (although hard to tell because, surprise!, the toilets were black in color).  Additionally, They are open on the top and bottom, so you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in them from pretty far away, and they don't even have hand sanitizer dispensers, which even porta potties have.  Their showers were marginally better - the stalls themselves were fairly clean, and they did have nice hot water.  They ask for 25 cents per shower which is totally fair considering there's no time limit.  But even something as simple as the shower curtains could use improvement - they had the cheapest of the cheap dollar store curtains that cling to everything and don't manage to do much to contain the shower spray.  Overall, their facilities need a huge improvement.

Also, this campground had a huge amount of downed dead wood throughout, which to me is very concerning.  If they had one lightening strike in the area, there could be a very dangerous wild fire that could put a lot of people in harm's way.  In my opinion, they should have a controlled burn in the off season, or let people take the downed wood for fires.

I will say that the amount of privacy between sites is probably the best I've ever experienced at a campground - we could barely see our neighbors.  This was probably the only positive to this campground, in my opinion.  Besides the rangers - they were very friendly and helpful.  Nearby Lubec was a fun town to explore, but the kayaking in the area was a little boring (the same views every place you look, at least when kayaking the coastal area near the state park).  There are tons of hiking trails, however.

I would not stay here again, and neither would my boyfriend.

Excellent scenic view and spectacular sunsets! Oh...and Bald Eagles 😍

Excellent scenic view and spectacular sunsets! Campground clean and well maintained. Outside sink available next to bathrooms. Water, electric (30/50) no sewer but dump onsite with blue portable waist containers for campers to use. Front row sites have cable.

Only suggestion…bathrooms could use update but otherwise very clean.

Loved the peace & quiet of the Schoodic Peninsula!

When we made the decision to visit Acadia National Park, I blindly made a reservation for a site at one of the campgrounds, not really paying attention to where specifically in the park the campground was located. The Schoodic Woods Campground is located on the Schoodic Peninsula, which is east of Mt. Desert Island. It’s still within Acadia National Park but is located outside Winter Harbor and is not near Bar Harbor like the majority of the park. At first I was a little bummed we were about an hour away from the main part of the park, but my mood immediately changed once we arrived. Oh my goodness, if you’re looking to connect w/the wonders of Acadia & avoid the crowds, stay here! It was amazing & the lack of light pollution at night made the star-gazing spectacular! There’s biking, hiking, a ferry that runs seasonally to Bar Harbor, and quaint harbor communities nearby. We loved it!

First come first served

This camp has breathtaking ocean views from your campsite, when you’re camping in a site with a view. Unfortunately the camp is first come, first served, they don’t take reservations. Overall, the camp is very spacious with great views, I will be camping in this campground now and in the future.

One of my favorites.

Is a first come first serve campground. Show up find an empty spot. Pay for it and it’s yours. I first had a tent space facing the ocean36$. Very close to the Pool for one night. Next morning I found an electric and water spot $40 close by and moved. Had great bathroom with clean showers near by that cost 25$ for 5 minutes. After 4 days and my tanks were full. I found a full hook with sewer $46 and moved for the next week. It was a very nice two weeks. Thy also have clean laundry for cheap. It was a very nice campground close to Arcadia NP and the town of Bar Harbor, ME. Plenty of activities around, I enjoyed the whale watching and sunset on Cadillac Mountain.

Fantastic

Amazing campground with huge spots and clean bathrooms. Easy pick up spot for the Schoodic bus line. No hot water of showers. Great nightly ranger programs. Easy access to trails and bike paths.

Great views

Older campground that is being redone and updated. Fantastic views from many of the spots. Great location to get to both parts of Acadia. Good food within walking distance (bbq and seafood and ice cream at neighboring local spots). Friendly campground owners who will answer any questions you have!

Spot 18

Spot 18 is perfect! The view is spectacular. The campground is small and very quiet. There are clean bathrooms and showers available. There is a quaint little store that has anything you could need or anything you might have left at home. Along with firewood and the regular stuff they have kayaks for renting. The owners can give you all sorts of wonderful recommendations for restaurants and destinations around town.

Peaceful weekend!!

We love state parks. We stayed here 3 nights. We had site 23. It was a huge, pull thru site. Mostly grassy. Very private. Only kind of complaint was it was very buggy. It had a huge grassy area with a playground, picnic area, and horseshoes.

Average Priced but Great Campground

Great campground with a decent price. I’ll give a list of pros and cons.

Pros: -Friendly Rangers, they do classes for the kids as well! -Beautiful area -Amazingly maintained -Super close hiking with awesome trails -Close to town but still very woodsy(we -had a rabbit sharing our campsite with us!) -Great access to bathroom facilities, there are outdoor sinks for washing dishes. -Spread our enough so you have privacy -Ground is great for a tent, nice and flat. -Lots of variety for campsites, tenting, RV/Camper, hike in sites and group sites -Tons to do and see with in a reasonable drive or hike from the campground

Cons: -I’ll start with a fairly important one, NO showers on the property. You have to drive to a different facility (there are a few options) and you have to pay to shower. Ours was $4 for 6 minutes not bad priced but when you’ve been hiking all weekend and it’s 90* 6 minutes is a bit of a rush to really get all the sweat and grime off you Wouldn’t be bad if you have a solar shower, enjoy being smelly or have a camper with a shower.

-Not all sites have electric AND water hook ups. Once again not a big deal. Most sites have both I believe, some only has electric like ours did and I believe some don’t have either. We didn’t need water because we brought plenty in water storage jugs and the bathroom/dish washing sinks was all we needed.

-Cannot carry in your own wood for fires, it’s reasonable and understandable. But it does make it a hassle to go buy wood, granted it’s cheap from people selling it along the road but I have a bunch split and dried at home to I needed to use but instead I had to buy some.

I don’t really have very many negatives, it’s a great place and it’s a National Park so it’s very well maintained! I definitely would recommend it for your next leisurely camping trip. It’s nothing hardcore but just enough to get outdoors and enjoy your time adventuring around!

I definitely will be back to this one.

Beautiful view

For me it wasn’t a typical camping experience, not a lot of trees and site are pretty close together, BUT the view is amazing, the people are amazing and activities in that area are endless. The owner of the campground is such a sweet lady, my friend and I ended up helping her set up an Instagram account because she had just opened the campground when we went, she even gave us a free night the next time we go back. She also recommended places for us to hike and swim in the area. There are hiking locations near for experts and intermediate hikers. Some trails even lead to swimming holes. You won’t be disappointed staying here.

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at Hadley’s Point Campground

Campground Review:

Hadley’s Point Campground is located on the north side of Mt Desert Island and just a short distance from Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Hadley’s Point is a large private campground that has tent, water& electric RV, and full hook up sites, as well as Cabins. The campground is broke up in to multiple loops (campground map can be found in my pictures) with some loops in open areas with little shade and sites close together, and other loops have more wooded sites that have some shade and privacy. All style sites include a picnic table and fire ring.

Reservations are site type, not site specific, so a little bit of a gamble. We were assigned site B27 on this visit. This site was partially shade depending on the time of day and very close to our neighbors. Other sites in the B loop did have more trees and more private, but they were full on this stay. Check-in was easy and the staff was very helpful in providing info and answering questions about the area. A host guides you to your site and assist you in positioning if needed.

The bathroom on B-loop does not have showers so we had to hike to other loops to shower. The Bathrooms and showers were very clean. The showers are metered and cost $0.50 per 7 minutes, so don’t forget your quarters!

Firewood and limited supplies were available at the office. There is a full grocery store about 10 minutes away.

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did not have wi-fi.

The campground also has a heated pool, playground, and laundry.

With Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park close by, there is so much to do and see in the area. One of the best benefits of the area is that there is a free shuttle with multiple routes around the island, so you can leave the car and parking hassles behind and just shuttle everywhere. The Shuttle has a stop right on the campground and is dog friendly (on leash and if your dog is friendly).

Speaking of dog friendly, I’ve never been to an area that is so dog friendly. The campground staff was very forthcoming with dog friendly info and I have to mention Bark Harbor in downtown Bar Harbor. Bark Harbor is a pet store that bakes their own treats, has toys and gifts, and tons of info on dog friendly areas on the island. They have pre-printed lists of dog friendly hotels, restaurants, on and off leash hiking trails, and dog parks. Super friendly crew that keyed us into an off leash hiking area that our dogs loved!

Pro Tip: A short ¼ mile walk from the campground is an off leash dog friendly beach that you can also launch your kayak or canoe from or have a sunset beach campfire. We really enjoys this beach after a long day of hiking all around the national park.

With all the outdoor activities of the national park, kayak and boat cruises in the ocean, lobster, lobster, lobster, you’ll need a full week to explore this island. Hadley’s Point made it a perfect place for us to take it all in.

----------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the Morsel Spork. This spork from Morel is very handy to have in your gear list. We are teardrop campers, so our space is limited. Everything has to have a purpose and be compact. Items like the Morsel Spork, that serves multiple functions, fit right into our needs. We purchased both the mini and the XL. Both are the same (spork on one end, spoon/scraper on the other end), but the XL is a little longer. We found this very functional for regular eating from plates or bowls, or eating directly from food packets. I also found the scraper spoon side useful in cleaning out our french press carafe. Easy to clean, easy to use, comes in multiple colors, and happy to have it a part of our camping equipment.

Wasn’t able to find

No signs on the road and no obvious campground found

Great Place

Enjoy each and every visit. Staff is willing to help.

Charming campground

Lovely place on a small lake. Staff was wonderful, the site was lovely with a great view of the lake. The lake was clean and we swam, kayaked and crossed the lake on paddle boards. The campground is small with limited sites, but I would gladly return.

Wild and beautiful

Very private sites, many offer water frontage. There is a bathhouse with 3 showers and many pit toilets throughout the campground. No hookups. Limited RV sites and very limited for over 20 feet. Miles of hiking and close to many beautiful places like Reversing Falls, Quoddy Lighthouse, and the Bay of Fundy.

Beautiful campground

We had a wonderful spacious site that was well shaded. The staff was very friendly. The campground was kept clean and well maintained. We had a great time visiting and love the area.

Quiet

This side of the park has less to do than Mount Desert, but it's still very lovely and very quiet. We were there in mid June and made reservations ahead of time, but there were still some sites empty on a Friday. The site was nice, staff was decent. One worker was somewhat short and condescending towards me, but overall alright.

Mid July to Mid August free blueberries campside.

Great campground. No reservations taken so get there early to get his sites.

Pretty Good

We chose this location to visit Acadia, Bar Harbor, and the island. We reserved a full hook up (back in), and were directed by an employee to our site. We incurred damage to our vehicle relying on the eyes/directions of an employee. The sites are very close together, some are shaded, some not. Our sewer dump was 3 ft or less from the neighbors fire pit, spotty WiFi, tv antenna only grabbed 4 public access channels. Good water pressure. Playground and pool looked nice. Free shuttle service to Acadia and Bar Harbor available. It was quiet on the 4th if July, no fireworks in the campground. We would likely stay elsewhere if we visit the area again.

Nice tent sites

Great place to camp outside the crazy tourist packed Acadia but only a 25 minute drive to the park. Very nice sites, flush toilets and showers. I got a lake view site but also forested sites available. Pet friendly camping. Would definitely go back!

Quiet campground with dark skies

This campground is out of the way and far away from the crowds on Mt Desert Island!  It's fairly compact, and the campsites a little close to each other, but each site still manages to feel private.  The campsite is brand new, and the amenities are very nice.  The welcome center even has free wifi (though, leave your devices at home!).  The bathhouses are clean and have flush toilets and running water in the sinks, but they do not have showers, which seems like an odd choice.

There are some good hiking trails nearby, and the sky is DARK at night!  On a clear night, this is the perfect place for some stargazing.

Each site has a campfire ring, but the rings do not have grill grates.  So bring your own or bring some roasting sticks if you want to cook over the campfire.

You are not allowed to collect downed wood for fires, but there is a self service firewood stand in the nearby town of Winter Harbor, so bring some small bills for the payment box.

All-in-all, this is a highly recommended campsite!  Have fun!

Nice park outside of Acadia

Nice campsites. Clean bathrooms. Wood available on site. Treehouse is fun! Nice hikes around the water. Great place to camp close to Acadia and Bar Harbor.

Mosquitos, Mosquitos, Mosquitos

This is a National Park which was very clean with some large sites. It was somewhat big rig friendly. I was traveling with two other motorhomes (caravan) and my site was the smallest. Electric and water was good - no sewer. WiFi was non-existent unless you got a site near the main office. Cellular reception was very mediocre. If you want to lose contact with family, friends, business… this is the place to go.

The rules are extremely enforced. My left tire on the car was 6 inches on the grass… the rangers left a violation notice on my car. Unfortunately my site was quite small for a 40 foot motorhome so I had to park very close to the road. One evening, just after showering, I hear a bang on the front door. Ranger S.S. (Initials of ranger) told me I am not allowed to run the generator. My generator was not on. It was the 3 air-conditioners on the roof. Standard AC’s from the factory. His body language was obvious that he did not believe me so I offered to show him where the generator was - since it is a diesel pusher, right up front where we were talking. Also… why would I be running my generator if I was hooked up to 50AMP service. I also told him that generators are not located on roofs of RV’s. He finally relented when he saw I was getting quite aggravated with his body language. Another camper near our site told me that she was treated very rudely by the staff. I do not know who she spoke to but Ranger S.S. needs to take interpersonal skills classes and maybe a class on where generators are looked on motorhomes. They obviously will harass someone that is not doing a generator violation but do not enforce barking dogs…

There was only one dump station for Loop B. Each RV took about 15 minutes. If you are third in line, you will be waiting… Since there is no sewer, you would think they would offer more than one dump station.

No matter if you wear long sleeves and long pants, plus use bug spray, the mosquitos are vicious. Between gnats and mosquitos, sitting outside to eat is nearly impossible. Otherwise, this is a visually beautiful park.

#1 Campground

I’ve gone to this campground for YEARS! The owners are very down to earth people and want everyone to feel welcomed. Haven’t been able to camp here the last 2 years but we are doing a family trip and going back later this summer!

Very convenient location on the island, also this campground is one of the stops for the Island Explorer to come pick you up. Close to Acadia National Park and Downtown Bar Harbor.

Also heard they just extended their WiFi so you can post all your awesome photos during your stay to make everyone jealous they aren’t there!

Sea air & ocean views.

My favorite campground, the sites are grassy and huge! There are no hookups, it’s a State Park. There is a dump station. There are flush toilets and showers that are outdated, but I would guess that by this year they would have been replaced with the new ones in all the other campgrounds. Almost all the sites in the RV loop are pull through. So much privacy in these sites unless you choose the two that are right on the road. Some RV’s can get into the water sites. This campground doesn’t seem as crowded as the other parks. It’s a drive to get here, but I think it’s worth it.

Beautiful campground over looking Frenchmens Bay. Blueberry fields to pick.

This large campground over looks Frenchmens bay. Large pool. Inexpensive laundry. Blueberry fields free to pick July to August. Pay showers. No reservations though. Come in early morning and wait for others to leave to grab the best sites. Or grab what ever is available and look the next morning for who leaves the better sites. Shuttle bus for free to any where, almost, on the island. The manager is a bit neurotic and that's the reason it is at 4 stars not 5. We will keep going for the campground price and place until the manager ruins it for us or they close it.

Loved it.

It’s been several years since our family stayed at this campground. We had a secluded site which sloped down to the bay. Very quiet and an incredible place to star gaze. I hope to return someday.