No Drinking Water
No WiFi
Cutler Coast Public Land is located in Maine
3 Reviews of Cutler Coast Public Land
Gorgeous Coastal Backpacking along the Gulf of Maine

The coast of Maine offers very few places for overnight backpacking or even just seaside hiking. The Cutler Coast Public Reserved Land is one great option. The length of the hiking trails makes this the ideal, weekend getaway location for a two-night campout– just get there early. The sites are few in number, small and difficult to get to, but oh-so-worth-it!

As backcountry sites, there are no picnic tables or fire rings, but each has a clean and convenient composting toilet with a stunning view of the Gulf of Maine.  Each campsite is located close to a freshwater source and a few are within site of a small pebble beach– perfect for swimming if you don’t mind the chilly water.  But, come prepared for bugs -- mosquitoes and black flies are impressive in the late spring and summer!   And, the trails can be quite muddy and soggy.  There is a price for this much beauty in one place!

Located 16 miles east of East Machias, the closest town with gas and a convenience store. Five miles further west along route 1 the town of Machias offers a wider selection of restaurants, farmers markets and grocery stores.

Stunning landscape. Hardcore hike. Worth it

This was on of my most favorite hikes/camping. You don't have to hike too long from the trailhead until you come to an awesome cliffside view overlooking the water. The breeze feels devine. This hike is not for the inexperienced, unless you are some hardcore hiker or something. I thought it would be cake, but it was h-a-r-d we rested a lot. But; I think we did pretty damn good even though my feet were killing me by the time we found a campsite.

The first couple sites we went up to had people so we were getting worried as there are not that many. But; stumbled onto one just before dark, whew! Such an awesome view of the night sky oh my gosh. I could stare at it forever. We could see the milky way. I loved our little campsite. Small but cozy and all we needed. I am a light sleeper, so the only thing that bugged me is there was some kind of horn from the lighthouse in the distance that was kind of driving me up the wall before I fell asleep. Other that that… everything was absolutely awesome, stunning landscape everywhere.

Worth the Trek

This is probably the most beautiful coastal location in the state of Maine. The campsites are very limited and this is a popular spot. Show up early to get one!

We did it as a weekend backpacking trip with the dog. Campsites are all located in gorgeous spots, but there is very little running water. We did find some to filter but would recommend bringing at least 5L per person and another 2L or more depending on the size of your dog. We have a cocker spaniel so she’s not huge but she’s black and over heats easily so she did drink a fair amount of our water. there is a commode of sorts at each campsite but you can’t be shy! It’s definitely not enclosed. Just a toilet seat in the woods. I think our neighbors kids saw my butt. There were no signs about alcohol but keep in mind you have to pack everything out. We packed in a beer each for a wonderful backpacking treat. Worth the weight.

There are a ton of resources and write ups, check out the website and do your homework.