Machiasport, MAINE

Camping Maine Machiasport
Most Recent Machiasport Camping Reviews
Rockstar.

Rockstar Energy Drinks need your Car, Van, Boat, Bike, Scooter, Wheelchair, for an Advertisements, We need to Plaster our Sticker on it, You Get 500 Dollars Every Week, Email me for more informations: johnbryan037@gmail.com

Gorgeous Coastal Backpacking along the Gulf of Maine

The coast of Maine offers very few places for overnight backpacking or even just seaside hiking. The Cutler Coast Public Reserved Land is one great option. The length of the hiking trails makes this the ideal, weekend getaway location for a two-night campout– just get there early. The sites are few in number, small and difficult to get to, but oh-so-worth-it!

As backcountry sites, there are no picnic tables or fire rings, but each has a clean and convenient composting toilet with a stunning view of the Gulf of Maine.  Each campsite is located close to a freshwater source and a few are within site of a small pebble beach– perfect for swimming if you don’t mind the chilly water.  But, come prepared for bugs -- mosquitoes and black flies are impressive in the late spring and summer!   And, the trails can be quite muddy and soggy.  There is a price for this much beauty in one place!

Located 16 miles east of East Machias, the closest town with gas and a convenience store. Five miles further west along route 1 the town of Machias offers a wider selection of restaurants, farmers markets and grocery stores.

Perfect.

Review for Blackwoods campground.

We trekked up from Rhode Island to Acadia and had every intent on staying at seawall. However, once we made the 7 hour drive, we decided to stay somewhere a little closer to where we intended on hiking. Blackwoods campground is a wonderful option for those of you interested in hanging around bar harbor or hiking the Beehive trail. The campground itself is wonderfully cared for and we were very pleased to be able to come right in without a reservation. It gets super busy on weekends and in season so a reservation is suggested. Bathrooms are clean, there is a dish water dump station, potable water sources throughout and dumpsters to keep trash out of your site. You also cant beat that public transportation (thanks LL Bean!) It allows you to keep the car at the site if you want and pick up a bus at pretty much all trailheads. The rangers at Blackwoods were very knowledgable and friendly. Thanks for a perfect couple of days, Acadia!

Gear Review of Morsel at Blackwoods Campground

If you guys have read my other reviews, generally i get gear that i never really would have gotten otherwise. Dont get me wrong, its always amazing stuff, but this was the first practical review i have conducted where i have truly felt like “where the heck has this been my whole life??”

These hyper-utensils are not just a spork. They are a fork, spoon, knife and serving spoon, or chili stirrer, or package opener. This was truly the only thing we needed as far as utensils went, and all four of us were very happy. My husband is a chef and makes some pretty elaborate camping meals. These morsels held up and threw down. And (perhaps most importantly) they were a breeze to clean!! I will be getting more in the future, i am five star pleased with this wonderful product. Get your own here- available in two sizes! https://morselspork.com

Typical but nice National Park campground

Fairly typical national park campground. Two huge loops; sites varied in size; some were clearly for tents only as they had huge boulders that separated the driveway area from the rest of the campsite. Ours was site A46 and was a large pull-through. Easy access to the bathroom which was clean. I thought there were enough trees to separate the sites and provide privacy. Generators are annoying but their allowable hours are limited. Unusual that there were windows in the bathroom, and you could see into the handicapped stall from the windows! No showers, no hookups, no hot water. I did like the“drain” for dishwater– I’ve never seen one like this before. It was located just outside of the bathrooms in the A Loop. The biggest plus to this campground is access to the Cadillac Mountain trail, a challenging but rewarding hike! Also, as a senior, can't beat the price of $15 per night!

Decent National park camping

In my opinion this campground was much nicer than sea wall, which is also in the national park. This campground was nice, but there isn’t much privacy in the spots. The campground has access to some hikes, which is nice. You can hike to Cadillac mountain from here and you can also go to the ocean side.

Lots of privacy but that's the only positive

If you want the most private and quiet campground experience you can get without boondocking, this place is for you if you can deal with the negatives.  But in my opinion, it was too rustic and outdated for even me (and I've seen some bad campgrounds in my travels).

To start, when booking our site I was under the impression that it was on the water.. well it is, if you climb down a cliff with a sheer 30 foot drop.  So off the bat, I was already very disappointed because I was expecting we'd be able to launch kayaks directly from our site (there is a public boat launch in the state park, however).  Additionally, our site (and many others) are actually walk in sites with your own parking space - we had to carry our stuff about 30 yards into the site over tons of exposed roots, which for some people could be very dangerous; nowhere on the website does it say they are walk-in sites either.  Our site pad had almost no level areas at all, so our tent was at a slight angle, the bug house we put over the picnic table (totally necessary - see below) was all over the place, and even the included fire pit was on a steep incline, with barely any room for chairs unless you want to try and sit on a slope without falling.  We almost switched with a neighboring site that was more level but were glad we didn't - when it rained two days later, that entire site was flooded for half a day with about 2" of standing water! They really need to engineer the sites better by cutting down a few more trees to increase the size of the site and level them out better.  Also, because the place is so heavily wooded and damp, the bugs are INSANE.  If we didn't have a screen house to put over the table, I would have stayed in the tent the whole time because I was getting eaten alive.

The facilities were one of the worst parts of the stay, however.  I will preface this by saying I am used to using vault toilets, and generally do not have a problem using them for short periods of time.  But their toilets.. I don't even know how to describe them, as I think even calling them pit toilets is over selling them.  The toilets are located in what are essentially little wooden lean-tos, with no engineering whatever to cut down on the smell.  You could literally smell the out houses from about 30 yards away, and every time I would go to use one it was FILLED with flies.  I have never in my life had that experience using vault or primitive toilets.  They are clearly not cleaned very often either (although hard to tell because, surprise!, the toilets were black in color).  Additionally, They are open on the top and bottom, so you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in them from pretty far away, and they don't even have hand sanitizer dispensers, which even porta potties have.  Their showers were marginally better - the stalls themselves were fairly clean, and they did have nice hot water.  They ask for 25 cents per shower which is totally fair considering there's no time limit.  But even something as simple as the shower curtains could use improvement - they had the cheapest of the cheap dollar store curtains that cling to everything and don't manage to do much to contain the shower spray.  Overall, their facilities need a huge improvement.

Also, this campground had a huge amount of downed dead wood throughout, which to me is very concerning.  If they had one lightening strike in the area, there could be a very dangerous wild fire that could put a lot of people in harm's way.  In my opinion, they should have a controlled burn in the off season, or let people take the downed wood for fires.

I will say that the amount of privacy between sites is probably the best I've ever experienced at a campground - we could barely see our neighbors.  This was probably the only positive to this campground, in my opinion.  Besides the rangers - they were very friendly and helpful.  Nearby Lubec was a fun town to explore, but the kayaking in the area was a little boring (the same views every place you look, at least when kayaking the coastal area near the state park).  There are tons of hiking trails, however.

I would not stay here again, and neither would my boyfriend.

No frills, but perfect location!

We spent 3 nights here while hiking and sightseeing Acadia. There aren’t hookups and generator time is limited. We made our reservations about 6 months in advance. The location is ideal because there’s a bus stop at the campground to get access to the entire park. The campground also sits at the trailhead for Cadillac South Ridge, which we hiked. The restrooms were clean and the campground was very quiet considering it was 4th of July week.

Excellent scenic view and spectacular sunsets! Oh...and Bald Eagles 😍

Excellent scenic view and spectacular sunsets! Campground clean and well maintained. Outside sink available next to bathrooms. Water, electric (30/50) no sewer but dump onsite with blue portable waist containers for campers to use. Front row sites have cable.

Only suggestion…bathrooms could use update but otherwise very clean.

Loved the peace & quiet of the Schoodic Peninsula!

When we made the decision to visit Acadia National Park, I blindly made a reservation for a site at one of the campgrounds, not really paying attention to where specifically in the park the campground was located. The Schoodic Woods Campground is located on the Schoodic Peninsula, which is east of Mt. Desert Island. It’s still within Acadia National Park but is located outside Winter Harbor and is not near Bar Harbor like the majority of the park. At first I was a little bummed we were about an hour away from the main part of the park, but my mood immediately changed once we arrived. Oh my goodness, if you’re looking to connect w/the wonders of Acadia & avoid the crowds, stay here! It was amazing & the lack of light pollution at night made the star-gazing spectacular! There’s biking, hiking, a ferry that runs seasonally to Bar Harbor, and quaint harbor communities nearby. We loved it!

Outstanding campground

This campground was the nicest one I’ve been to so far, facilities were incredible clean and accessible. The campground itself was at the hub of many major trail heads so it was perfect for hiking, site-seeing or just taking a trip into bar harbor! The site neighbors an incredibly clean shower house stocked with fire wood and ice

First come first served

This camp has breathtaking ocean views from your campsite, when you’re camping in a site with a view. Unfortunately the camp is first come, first served, they don’t take reservations. Overall, the camp is very spacious with great views, I will be camping in this campground now and in the future.

One of my favorites.

Is a first come first serve campground. Show up find an empty spot. Pay for it and it’s yours. I first had a tent space facing the ocean36$. Very close to the Pool for one night. Next morning I found an electric and water spot $40 close by and moved. Had great bathroom with clean showers near by that cost 25$ for 5 minutes. After 4 days and my tanks were full. I found a full hook with sewer $46 and moved for the next week. It was a very nice two weeks. Thy also have clean laundry for cheap. It was a very nice campground close to Arcadia NP and the town of Bar Harbor, ME. Plenty of activities around, I enjoyed the whale watching and sunset on Cadillac Mountain.

Fantastic

Amazing campground with huge spots and clean bathrooms. Easy pick up spot for the Schoodic bus line. No hot water of showers. Great nightly ranger programs. Easy access to trails and bike paths.

Great views

Older campground that is being redone and updated. Fantastic views from many of the spots. Great location to get to both parts of Acadia. Good food within walking distance (bbq and seafood and ice cream at neighboring local spots). Friendly campground owners who will answer any questions you have!

Spot 18

Spot 18 is perfect! The view is spectacular. The campground is small and very quiet. There are clean bathrooms and showers available. There is a quaint little store that has anything you could need or anything you might have left at home. Along with firewood and the regular stuff they have kayaks for renting. The owners can give you all sorts of wonderful recommendations for restaurants and destinations around town.

Peaceful weekend!!

We love state parks. We stayed here 3 nights. We had site 23. It was a huge, pull thru site. Mostly grassy. Very private. Only kind of complaint was it was very buggy. It had a huge grassy area with a playground, picnic area, and horseshoes.

Average Priced but Great Campground

Great campground with a decent price. I’ll give a list of pros and cons.

Pros: -Friendly Rangers, they do classes for the kids as well! -Beautiful area -Amazingly maintained -Super close hiking with awesome trails -Close to town but still very woodsy(we -had a rabbit sharing our campsite with us!) -Great access to bathroom facilities, there are outdoor sinks for washing dishes. -Spread our enough so you have privacy -Ground is great for a tent, nice and flat. -Lots of variety for campsites, tenting, RV/Camper, hike in sites and group sites -Tons to do and see with in a reasonable drive or hike from the campground

Cons: -I’ll start with a fairly important one, NO showers on the property. You have to drive to a different facility (there are a few options) and you have to pay to shower. Ours was $4 for 6 minutes not bad priced but when you’ve been hiking all weekend and it’s 90* 6 minutes is a bit of a rush to really get all the sweat and grime off you Wouldn’t be bad if you have a solar shower, enjoy being smelly or have a camper with a shower.

-Not all sites have electric AND water hook ups. Once again not a big deal. Most sites have both I believe, some only has electric like ours did and I believe some don’t have either. We didn’t need water because we brought plenty in water storage jugs and the bathroom/dish washing sinks was all we needed.

-Cannot carry in your own wood for fires, it’s reasonable and understandable. But it does make it a hassle to go buy wood, granted it’s cheap from people selling it along the road but I have a bunch split and dried at home to I needed to use but instead I had to buy some.

I don’t really have very many negatives, it’s a great place and it’s a National Park so it’s very well maintained! I definitely would recommend it for your next leisurely camping trip. It’s nothing hardcore but just enough to get outdoors and enjoy your time adventuring around!

I definitely will be back to this one.

Beautiful view

For me it wasn’t a typical camping experience, not a lot of trees and site are pretty close together, BUT the view is amazing, the people are amazing and activities in that area are endless. The owner of the campground is such a sweet lady, my friend and I ended up helping her set up an Instagram account because she had just opened the campground when we went, she even gave us a free night the next time we go back. She also recommended places for us to hike and swim in the area. There are hiking locations near for experts and intermediate hikers. Some trails even lead to swimming holes. You won’t be disappointed staying here.

Great Campground!

Wife and I stayed on our last night of our honeymoon trip to Acadia. We were very happy! This is a great place to feel Acadia and be engulfed in nature. The trees are beautiful and dense offering plenty of shade, and bugs so be prepared. We stayed in loop B and walked over to loop A, down the trail and were at the ocean for sunset in under 10 minutes. Sites are nicely spaced apart. No showers but nice and clean restrooms. 1 minuet from campground there is a shower station that offers $2 hot showers with ATM and coin machine. Next time we are in Acadia we will be staying here for multiple nights!! Perfect location/hub if you plan to explore park loop road, easy to get back to for lunch or changing in between activities. Love our Parks!

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at Hadley’s Point Campground

Campground Review:

Hadley’s Point Campground is located on the north side of Mt Desert Island and just a short distance from Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Hadley’s Point is a large private campground that has tent, water& electric RV, and full hook up sites, as well as Cabins. The campground is broke up in to multiple loops (campground map can be found in my pictures) with some loops in open areas with little shade and sites close together, and other loops have more wooded sites that have some shade and privacy. All style sites include a picnic table and fire ring.

Reservations are site type, not site specific, so a little bit of a gamble. We were assigned site B27 on this visit. This site was partially shade depending on the time of day and very close to our neighbors. Other sites in the B loop did have more trees and more private, but they were full on this stay. Check-in was easy and the staff was very helpful in providing info and answering questions about the area. A host guides you to your site and assist you in positioning if needed.

The bathroom on B-loop does not have showers so we had to hike to other loops to shower. The Bathrooms and showers were very clean. The showers are metered and cost $0.50 per 7 minutes, so don’t forget your quarters!

Firewood and limited supplies were available at the office. There is a full grocery store about 10 minutes away.

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did not have wi-fi.

The campground also has a heated pool, playground, and laundry.

With Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park close by, there is so much to do and see in the area. One of the best benefits of the area is that there is a free shuttle with multiple routes around the island, so you can leave the car and parking hassles behind and just shuttle everywhere. The Shuttle has a stop right on the campground and is dog friendly (on leash and if your dog is friendly).

Speaking of dog friendly, I’ve never been to an area that is so dog friendly. The campground staff was very forthcoming with dog friendly info and I have to mention Bark Harbor in downtown Bar Harbor. Bark Harbor is a pet store that bakes their own treats, has toys and gifts, and tons of info on dog friendly areas on the island. They have pre-printed lists of dog friendly hotels, restaurants, on and off leash hiking trails, and dog parks. Super friendly crew that keyed us into an off leash hiking area that our dogs loved!

Pro Tip: A short ¼ mile walk from the campground is an off leash dog friendly beach that you can also launch your kayak or canoe from or have a sunset beach campfire. We really enjoys this beach after a long day of hiking all around the national park.

With all the outdoor activities of the national park, kayak and boat cruises in the ocean, lobster, lobster, lobster, you’ll need a full week to explore this island. Hadley’s Point made it a perfect place for us to take it all in.

----------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the Morsel Spork. This spork from Morel is very handy to have in your gear list. We are teardrop campers, so our space is limited. Everything has to have a purpose and be compact. Items like the Morsel Spork, that serves multiple functions, fit right into our needs. We purchased both the mini and the XL. Both are the same (spork on one end, spoon/scraper on the other end), but the XL is a little longer. We found this very functional for regular eating from plates or bowls, or eating directly from food packets. I also found the scraper spoon side useful in cleaning out our french press carafe. Easy to clean, easy to use, comes in multiple colors, and happy to have it a part of our camping equipment.

Convinient and great campground.

I read that this was the most popular campsite in acadia national park due to how close it was to the epic cadillac mountain. So we wanted in on that. The campsite was very close to the main town of Bass Harbor, so that was great. It was a very well organised campsite. They had excellent maps to getting to your site and properly checking you in. The campsite itself was pretty busy. Not secluded at all but it was a nice and welcoming campsite to stay at, quite chilled too. The hiking trails were right off the camp so that made things very convinient, and a hike up Cadillac Mountain is definitely a must! They didn't have showers but had water and toilets at every site. I would say all in all it was a pleasant experience and pretty awesome sleeping at Acadia National Park.

Wasn’t able to find

No signs on the road and no obvious campground found

Great Place

Enjoy each and every visit. Staff is willing to help.

Charming campground

Lovely place on a small lake. Staff was wonderful, the site was lovely with a great view of the lake. The lake was clean and we swam, kayaked and crossed the lake on paddle boards. The campground is small with limited sites, but I would gladly return.

Wild and beautiful

Very private sites, many offer water frontage. There is a bathhouse with 3 showers and many pit toilets throughout the campground. No hookups. Limited RV sites and very limited for over 20 feet. Miles of hiking and close to many beautiful places like Reversing Falls, Quoddy Lighthouse, and the Bay of Fundy.

Beautiful campground

We had a wonderful spacious site that was well shaded. The staff was very friendly. The campground was kept clean and well maintained. We had a great time visiting and love the area.

Quiet

This side of the park has less to do than Mount Desert, but it's still very lovely and very quiet. We were there in mid June and made reservations ahead of time, but there were still some sites empty on a Friday. The site was nice, staff was decent. One worker was somewhat short and condescending towards me, but overall alright.

Mid July to Mid August free blueberries campside.

Great campground. No reservations taken so get there early to get his sites.

Pretty Good

We chose this location to visit Acadia, Bar Harbor, and the island. We reserved a full hook up (back in), and were directed by an employee to our site. We incurred damage to our vehicle relying on the eyes/directions of an employee. The sites are very close together, some are shaded, some not. Our sewer dump was 3 ft or less from the neighbors fire pit, spotty WiFi, tv antenna only grabbed 4 public access channels. Good water pressure. Playground and pool looked nice. Free shuttle service to Acadia and Bar Harbor available. It was quiet on the 4th if July, no fireworks in the campground. We would likely stay elsewhere if we visit the area again.

Ideal location

Our site was A129(in the back of the A loop). I booked a few months in advance and only had a few sites to choose from- so book early if you can. We were two sites over from the restrooms and water supply, but it was still pretty quiet. Many sites are close together, but there are trees in between so you don't feel on top of your neighbor. The restrooms were cleaned daily. Bring your own soap/towel. There is an electrical outlet in the restroom to use a hair dryer or charge a phone. We had a lot of gravel on our site, which made for walking barefoot in the tent a bit uncomfortable- definitely bring something to sleep on! We left our"camp kitchen" set up at the site and we had no issues of anything missing. Each site has a table and fire ring- including a grate for cooking.

We were able to walk to an ocean view by crossing the loop road. There is also a trail near the check-in booth that connects to other area trails. We had no phone service at all anywhere in Acadia. Showers are $2.00 for four minutes- bring quarters. They were not super clean, but they were hot and got the job done. There are changing rooms and ample places to hang your towel/clothes, etc. Overall, Blackwoods made for an enjoyable trip. I would camp there again.