Little Mount , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Little Mount Camping Reviews
Kentucky Horse Park Campground, KY

Kentucky Horse Park is a working horse farm and educational center. Unfortunately due to COVID-19 the tours were unavailable when we visited. Regardless, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The sites were spacious and well maintained. They all come with a picnic table, fire pit and full hook-ups. The bathrooms, showers and laundry room were clean and also well maintained. The staff was friendly and accommodating. A great location, especially if planning to visit Lexington during your stay.

breathtaking view

I've grown up with this state park and it seems to get more beautiful throughout the years. The observation tower is my absolute favorite spot in this park. It has a breathtaking view of the Historic Downtown Madison

Lots of trees and water, very calming

Park is nice with lots of trees and water. Small rental cabins surround the park. Owners are very nice and very helpful with tips and suggestions for the RV, and local eateries. We stayed one night on our way south from Indy. We wanted to visit The Ark and The Creation Museum, but cannot do both in one day. I deducted a star from overall and value rating only due to no direct sewer connection. Although they do have a dump station, I prefer to have a direct hook-up. Sites are pretty level, although we did have to unhook to keep truck from sticking out into road. SInce the park wasn't full, the owners let us park our truck in site next to us. We stayed in our 38' travel trailer with our Ford F250 truck.

Small, wooded site

Very small campground and narrow roads. Many sites were not level and some sites were very short so make sure you review the site description.

Also some had sewer hook ups and others did not.

You did feel like you were in the woods so that was a plus.

Walmart and McDonalds were half a mile away.

The KT earns its nickname 'little AT'

The KT is rugged and has lots of elevation gains over short distances. Everywhere you hike there are lovely vistas and lots of fossils on the trail snd creek beds. You're never too far from water, although the quality may differ depending on the time of year.

Watch out for ticks. My dogs and I got loads of them in April 2020 from Leota to Spurgeon Hollow. There are road crossings every 5 to 10 miles, so if you run out of something or need to bail you can. The KT asks that you respect leave no trace philosophy, and I felt most hikers did.

There is occasional trail magic but don't depend on it if thru hiking. I have not stayed in any campgrounds near the trail, so I can't review those, but the trailheads all have adequate parking and signage, and I found topo maps online for free.

Let someone know your itinerary, have a means for filtering water, and enjoy!

Nice State Park Campground

We booked a last minute non-electric site for the night in out TT.  We have family in the area so that was the primary purpose of this trip but we have visited Clifty several times and stayed at the hotel once.  There is a really nice outdoor pool (extra fee) but the highlight is all the hiking in the park.  Lots of waterfalls, caves and even though you are basically in town it feels miles away.  This trip we were there at about peak fall colors and it was amazing.  We will be back again (probably yearly) and will stay here.

PROS: Awesome state park for hiking, exploring and an outdoor pool.  Most sites are pretty spread out for a state park.  Facilities and camp sites are clean; indoor restroom with warm showers.  On site hotel has gift shop and restaurant.  Close to historic Madison and the Ohio River offering many things to do.  Couple playgrounds for kids and a nature center with educational programs.  They sell firewood at the campground check in kiosk.  One vehicle per site but there is an overflow are at the campground entrance.  Laundry facility is also at the campground.

CONS: Some spots are on top of each other, mostly in non-electric area and as most IN State Parks, no water hook-up, you have to fill your tank.

Ideal spots would be electric loop - 31-36 (a side loop, no thru trafic) or 14-28/93-104 (back of the loop, more in shade, less traffic).

Nice things come in small packages !

My wife and I have been camping for years. We decided to come to Kentucky to visit the Ark and the Creation Museum. I found this little campground by joining The Dyrt. Three springs, was the best choice this summer. Very friendly staff and delivered my firewood next to the fire pit. Loaned me an electric cord extension and it was a delight to stay there.

Small but beautiful

Great location when in borboun country.

Beautiful, flat, spacious

We love the horse park. First location is wonderful. Literally on the grounds of the gorgeous Kentucky Horse Park and less than 30 minutes to UK’s Campus.

The sites are spacious and fairly flat. Big bonus for state parks. There are lots of mature trees which are great for every season of camping.

All sites are back in only and there are no full hook ups. This wasn’t an issue as there are 2 dump stations with 2 pipes each.

We recommend this to anyone!

Good amenities

Quiet sites and lots of amenities