the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Boat In
Old Mill Camp and General Store is located in Tennessee
7 Reviews of Old Mill Camp and General Store
Upper Cumberland Visit

Just getting in from a fun weekend at Old Mill Camp in Cookeville, TN. Old Mill is a private campground directly across the street from the entrance to Cummins Falls State Park (the park is a day Park only and has no camping on site). Wide open sites with plenty of well established trees to provide shade. New, modern bathhouse. Hiking to the falls is adventurous requiring two creek crossings (that can be up to knee deep or more depending on where you cross) and some bouldering, but once you get to the falls it’s amazing. The area is right on the Upper Cumberland Wine Trail so lots of impressive wineries nearby. There is also 4 breweries (a fifth opens the end of Oct 2018) in the area. Oh, and you have to visit Ralph’s Donut Shop in downtown Cookeville! We’d really like to go back in warmer weather to take advantage of the many swimming holes on the hike to the falls and be able to play in the falls.

Proximity Is Key!!

When coming to Cummins Falls you want to be able to enjoy the day fully, especially when traveling from far away. If you arrive early and are wanting to fully hike down to the waters it is a must to arrive early and by the time you finish enjoying activities driving is not something that sounds appealing. This camp is perfect for allowing you to do just that. Just off property from the falls this is the closest place you can stay and it pays off big dividends!!

Where there is no sign of wifi, this place has your back. Where there is no store in site, again this place is reasonable and well equipped. But this isn't just a place to stay it is a place where you can also have additional activities including Kayaking and horseback riding.

But perhaps my favorite thing about this site is they ALWAYS allow walk-up camping for primitive tent camping and can accommodate a lot of campers. For me as a tent camper with no hook ups it was $20, had I have wanted electrical those sites are $35. Both sites come pretty standard and similar in way of picnic tables, fire rings and parking which is really nice.

I was there midweek and there were a lot of other campers but it didn't seem loud and I really liked that there was an area which said campers only so people just coming out to the falls weren't roaming around camp.

• Check out other things to do in the area, it is a really neat area with tons of things to do within driving distance. This is a great place to hub.

• Enjoy the Falls but be mindful of the hours, it is not a 24/7 site and does close if you arrive late in the day you will not be able to go all the way down the trail to the water itself.

• Check their website because they are in the process of upgrading their facility even further and will soon be offering cabins as well :)

Beutiful campground with nice shaded campsites!

This was one of my FAVORITE campgrounds so far! Had a great time here. We camped 2 nights here! They opened in October, 2017 and it is located across from Cummins Falls State Park, which has one of the most beutiful waterfalls I have ever seen! Beutiful scenery all around! It has a General Store and the grounds are a "family oriented," all the staff were SUPER friendly & accomodating & a pleasure to talk to. Absolutely Loved every minute!

Family Campground

Ranger Review: Roanline FreeFly Shorts at Old Mill Campground

Campground Review: I drove in to Cummins Falls State Park from Nashville on Highway 70 which has excellent views as it meanders along the ridgelines of some tall hills.

The parks summer hours are 8am- 6pm. Directly across from the park is privately owned **Old Mill Campground. **I called ahead to make my reservation (can’t do it online) and the person who made my reservation was very professional and helpful.

I arrived around 7pm and found my site easily enough, it’s a small campground. The campground seems to be on the newer side and still expanding. There are larger sites with RV hookup and a tent area. Picnic table, fire pit and water at each site. The ground is covered in wood chips and pretty level. There is no Feng Shui though and absolutely no privacy. You get to hear pretty much everything that your neighbor is talking about.

If your with a group good placement, if not..well there were people walking through my site after 10pm , loudly setting up their sites and talking, no camp site etiquette what so ever.

I’m an early riser, 0530, the family directly across from me was up soon after with their barking dog and screaming kids. Don’t get me wrong kids belong in the woods but you teach them early about being respectful to late sleepers.

Anyway….quiet road at night, walked about a half mile down it and the night sky away from the campground light was excellent.

New shower house and latrine, small playground and store/campground office with a noisy ice machine. My three star rating originated from the campers at the campground and the lack of privacy, overall it is a nice small campground and the only one in the immediate area.

Product Review: Roanline Free Fly bamboo lined breeze shorts

Are some comfy shorts. I love the color and the fit. The waistband is wide and has a pocket in the back for keys or a card. The lining is bamboo which is the new big thing in active wear, very soft. I stuffed them in my overnight bag and pulled them out for a morning walk. I wore them overnight and several more times during my trip. Come on! We are camping here, if it don’t stink you can wear it a few more times ;) cuts down on packing more clothes. The Free Fly held up well and will be traveling often with me this summer.

My only con so far for these Free Fly shorts is the price tag, that being said 1st I’m a penny pincher but have learned that guality lasts. In 10 years when I’m still wearing these shorts and they’re just as functional I will finally be happy ;) 2nd They are holding up well so far and considering the material I understand the price. These are the first bamboo material clothing that I’ve gotten and they are very comfortable.

New with old growth trees

This property is clean, quiet, family and pet friendly. Each tent and RV stall has its own picnic table and fire pit, spacing out each stall so it has fair privacy. If you don't care to grill or have a sandwich or ice cream at the general store on site the friendly owner will tell you where to eat in town (Cookeville). The entrance to the state park is across the street from the general store. All of the facilities you need are here, but I do have one critique, that is the smart light in the Women's restroom turns off after 20 seconds, I think it would be better to set it to 5 minutes. Otherwise it was a perfect stay.

Privately Owned Peaceful and Clean

This campground is one of the best! It has a general store on site that has some of the best hand scooped ice cream i've ever had. Owners are so kind and want to be sure that all the campers are taken care of. Very well kept and peaceful. Its located directly across from Cummins Falls State Park which has a 75' waterfall that you hike to and swim in the gorge below it. Wonderful Slice of Heaven!!!