Audubon Park, KENTUCKY
Most Recent Audubon Park Camping Reviews
Relaxing

One of the most peaceful places I’ve been

Great getaway for kids!

This park has a great walking trail that is wheelchair accessible and camping in spring to fall. If you get bored you can always catch a small baseball game nearby at the park and it is next to Chariots Run for the avid golfer!

Good variety

Starve Hollow offers camping from full hookup, electric only (by the lake), tent camping, and cabins.  The lake has a swimming area (no lifeguards), playgrounds, and bathhouse.  The lake allows boats with electric trolling motor only.

We stayed in the full hookup section (camping facilities: electric, sewer, and water hookup as well as fire ring, picnic table, and parking spur at each site. Modern restrooms/showers(wheelchair accessible) are available nearby. 53 sites available, sites 222, 232, and 234 are wheelchair accessible).  The bathhouse was clean (even though it rained most of the weekend).  these sites are a good size and able to get any size Trailer or RV into these sites.  There is mostly grass on most of the sites in this area.

The campground also offers electric only sites (camping facilities: electric hookup, fire ring, picnic table and parking spur at each site. Drinking water is available in area. Modern restrooms/showers(wheelchair accessible) are available nearby. Dumping station is available. There are 87 sites available. Sites 28, 44, 65, 75 and 90 are wheelchair accessible).  They have about 20 sites that back up right to the lake allowing fishing from your campsite.  Keep in mind that a lot of the electric only sites are very tight with a lot of trees in the area.  I can probably only get my 36 ft 5th wheel into a third of the sites, but there are many of sites that had shorter units on them.

Cabins:  Starve Hollow has 13 rent-a-camp cabins available March-Nov.(closed Dec.-Feb.)(NOTE: Local sales only during off season/winter months, contact property for details). Each cabin has a front porch with a swing, outside electric outlet and front porch light. Inside there are two small rooms each providing a ceiling fan with light, a heating/cooling unit and electrical outlets. The front room offers a small table with bench seats, corner shelf, chair, rocking chair, and a loft. The back room offers a bunk bed(single) and a double bed(NO LINENS or MATTRESS PROVIDED). Air mattress recommended.

Fishing/Boating Starve-Hollow Lake has three boat ramps to choose from, one at the dam and two in the electric campground. Kayak, rowboat and canoe rental is available. A valid Indiana fishing license is required. Rowboat and canoe rental is available from mid April through October. Starve-Hollow Lake is a trolling motor only lake. For campers a fish cleaning station is available.

Swimming A large beach is available for swimming from the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. Restrooms, dressing facilities, showers, and food concessions are available to visitors. Wheelchair ramps allow access to beach and concession area.

Picnicking There are picnic areas and picnic shelters that can be reserved. Both shelters can be accessed by wheelchair. The East shelter has an electrical outlet. Picnic tables and grills are located at the picnic sites. A wheelchair accessible playground, basketball goals, softball fields, horseshoe pits and a sand volleyball court are located on or near the swimming beach.

Hiking Trails Starve Hollow has several hiking trails to explore that total approximately 11 miles.

Good park for RVs and kids

This campground is typically full of RVs which is good because it’s super close to a busy road. So it’s not your “deep into the woods” kind of place (our neighbors had a pizza delivered to their site during our last stay). Lots of green space, playground area for kids and putt putt. The lodge lets campers use the pool 4-7 pm for free which is nice.

Relaxing Setting

Overall this truly was a cute little spot to camp out on our way to Kentucky! One of the benefits of this site is that the cave and gift shop are right there, so you have a cool Opportunity to take a tour and then stay in the same area. The campgrounds are all equipped with a nice fire pit, picnic table, lean to, and the availability of electric hookup. The campgrounds also has a couple newer cabins that look really cute. The camper and tent spots are right along a cute little creek so it was very pleasant. They have a small shed attached to the gift shop that has firewood for sale. They have a small cafe that sells the usual hot dogs, chips, soda and the sort. They also have a larger open air pavilion that they provide yard games like, cornhole, horseshoes, and other games, so pretty nice. I would definitely recommend this as it is small and intimate, but if you are looking for private seclusion this is not for you.

Cute Little Campground

Small but well kept campground. Bathhouse is older but clean. Some sites have views of the golf course. Very friendly staff that works hard to maintain the grounds. Campground is right in the middle of town, but you will still have to drive anywhere you want to go. We toured the My Old KY Home historic house and gardens with our kids (13 & 5) and everyone enjoyed it. We stayed two nights in site 18 and it was tight backing in, even in our 23 foot Airstream, not very private but it is close to the bathhouse. The best site, in my opinion, is site 26. It is more private, has a wide pad and a little "yard" to the side. Site 20 is one to avoid. It's at the corner of the loop, across from a dumpster, right next to the bathroom AND the dump station is practically in the site. It even sits at a lower elevation than the dump station so imagine how nasty it could be on a rainy day. There are a few of pull through sites that would be good options if you are just using it as a stop over.

Quite tenting by the river

Everyone was so friendly! Mostly campers here, but the tenting is the best spot… Right down by the river (van not included), but electricity is.

Close to: Castle and Key, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, and West Sixth Brewery. Perfect location for some Bourbon Trail and beer hoping! I will definitely go back. And tell Angie at the desk I sent you!

Ummmm... no
  1. There wasn’t anyone @ the entrance
  2. There wasn’t anyone @ check in for camping.
  3. No room for slide to come out when it said there was when we booked.
  4. No cell coverage @ most sites.
  5. Unkept grounds.
  6. Pads were so narrow that it was hard to park.. wasn’t just us.. others said the same thing..
  7. Lake was gross
Works in a pinch

Has tent and RV camping. I tent camped this trip and stopped by for one night as I was passing through. Cost was about $16ish. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Tent sites are at the front of the property with the RVs to the back. Tent campsites are not defined - just an open area for all to share with picnic tables and grills scattered around. Kids playground next to it. Couldn't find the potable water for the tent area. The RVs had electric & water hookups. Showers and bathrooms available. Right next to a side road with a bit of traffic the night I stayed.

Don't Recommend Non-Electric Sites

Out of all places I've camped in Indiana, this is, by far, the worst. Please note that this is for the non-electric sites. Reasons for the low rating:

• the firewood that they sell to you is complete crap. It's so wet and damp that you can't burn it. We have had to take every single batch back we've purchased cause it's so bad. They don't do refunds.
  • The playground is so close to most campsites in the non-electric section. I'd recommend getting as far away as possible as the screams of children echo like birds flying throughout the campground.
  • Not the park's fault, but raccoons are horrible here. I'm talking, "walk up to your campfire as you're sitting next to it and steal food that's on the burner" bad. Lol.

We were lucky enough to find a campsite (#118) very far away from the playground which was surrounded by grasses that separated the campsites surrounding you which was very nice. Again, the raccoons were horrible though.

Extremely Quiet

This is one of the quietest campgrounds I have stayed at so far. The sites are large with many options for shade or open. They have great hiking trails, a creek off of the Ohio river to fish, and a boat ramp to the river. We did hiking trail 3 and 7 visiting Rose Island. I am only giving it 4 stars because the bathrooms could have used a good cleaning. They weren’t disgusting by any means but I have been to campgrounds with cleaner.

TRAINS. ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

OMG, the trains. All night, every night. I'm a heavy sleeper and it sounded like the trains were going to crash into our RV and we were across the row from them. Staff is very nice, nice laundry and close proximity to Louisville. Unfortunately, the sites are just gravel and literally on top of each other. I could sit on my picnic table facing my camper and lean against my neighbors rv.

A awesome family get away

Family owned and small country setting when you just wanted to get away for the weekend.

Camping

Nice quiet and a Great Lake to go fishing.

great family camping

Delaney Park is a great family place .nice cabins good fishing and lots of boats to rent or bring your own. Camp how you like, from Primitive to Glam-ping. Its at the start to a Fifty mile trail ( Knobstone Trail) or you can do the Delaney Loop in about 6 hours. ( 7.5 miles and 2000 ft elevation change ) a good challenge for all ages. trail is well marked and maps at gate. Lots to do and also nothing to do. Bring whole Family and Friends for a great weekend or just a day

Nice small campgound

Camped here with our pop up on 4/5/19. Lots of mud still around the camp sites. A nice parking lot in front of sites to back your rig up. Pads are small in length so be aware of that when it mentions it on the website.

Shower was free, good hot water. Only full hook ups on one site, but all the others has electric and water. The campground sits right next to the lake and dam and you can fish both in the lake and on the stream below the dam. A couple of docks on the lake side. They also rent paddle boats. Playground too for little kids. We paid $25.50 per night. Nice walking trails and a couple of geocaches not to far away.

“This was a total surprise!”

Starve Hollow State Recreation Area is 280 acres that are adjacent to Jackson-Washington State Forest (18,000 acres). Starve Hollow offers a great camping experience with accommodations ranging from primitive to full hook-ups and the park is impeccably maintained. The full hook-up sites are spacious with most offering a nice tree canopy. A large number of electric only sites are bordering the 145-acre Starve Hollow Lake with a large swimming beach, and picnic area. The park offers boat, canoe, and kayak rental plus an Education Center, fishing, hiking and mountain bike trails that extend into Jackson-Washington State Forest. The surrounding communities are full of interesting history; the longest existing (460') covered bridge built in 1875, classic round barns, original iron bridges, and the historic Medora Shale Brick Plant (1904) to name a few. Easy access from I-65 via US 50 W, then SR 135 S.

An amazing and welcoming State Park

From the time you pull onto the entrance, shared with the golf entrance, you feel right at home. Campsites are a great size, plenty of shade, beautiful trees. Visitor center and gift shop available. Massive golf course for those avid golfers. Beautiful mansion to tour. Amphitheater open during the summer. A great family-friendly place to visit.

Nice Place

This state park could use a little TLC. The acreage is good, nice views of the lake, and it does offer good campsites, however some are smaller than possibly described so use your best judgment. There is a lodge, trails, and fishing. Tennis courts are down by the Butler-Turpin State Historic House. Mini-golf and a gift shop are also available. It looks at one time there was a golf course but it is absolutely overgrown. There was some road construction during our visit so check the Kentucky State Park site before visiting.

the campground is closed

the campground is closed for overnight camping, but this is still a beautiful lake for hiking, fishing, and my favorite, kayaking. electric motors only, so nice and quiet.

Small quiet dispersed

Very quiet. Two fenced dog runs that were slightly overgrown when we first arrived but were cut when the rain allowed. Paved roads throughout but very few paved sights. WIFI and cell service very limited would advise a antenna for long term. Office personnel were extremely helpful and understanding. I had truck problems and it extended our stay so I just had to move trailer to different site. Ft Knox is just a few miles away.

Overall this is a great FamCamp. Will definitely stay again.

Season

The falls are no there if there is no rainfall or snowmelt …. I was very disappointed…. beautiful if you can go when they are in season to see them …..

Hidden Gem

My husband, 3.5yo, 1yo and myself went to O'Bannon Woods the weekend before the 4th of July and I can't believe I've never been there! It's an amazing little park. We camp in a 12' pop up and our site 111 was nice for it. We did have to back between two trees at about 10pm in the dark, but we made it!

We LOVED the nature center and the living history village! The nature center had plenty of critters for the kids to look at. The living village was a pleasant surprise since I didn't realize they had one. They also have demonstrations of the hay press on holiday weekends which was really neat to watch.

We only hiked one trail and that was the one from the campground to the nature center. It was fairly rough in spots but enjoyable. The nearby caves ran by the park were a nice escape from the summer heat. We went on the short one with the kids and it was just the right length for their ages.

Also, if you like wine, there's a little winery down the road, Scout Mountain and they had the best deal on firewood along with great wine!

I can't wait to go back, I honestly can't believe I've lived in southern Indiana my whole life and have never been here.

Our favorite local campground

Charlestown State Park is a great, quiet campground for us to get away in our RV. We love that all of the sites are paved and most of the full-hookup sites offer a lot of privacy.

There is always a bathhouse close by and they are usually very clean. Staff is always super nice.

We prefer Charlestown because the hiking trails are wonderful, there’s lots of paved roads for biking, but the lack of a pool means that there tend to be fewer kids and it’s a lot more quiet than some of the neighboring state parks. There is a great boat ramp for the Ohio River so many campers are there to spend time in the river on their boats.

1st time at KOA

Lots of long term campers with stuff outside camper, but great walking and hiking trails, great ck in process, as well as camp store. Very hospitable.

Place to stay close to downtown Louisville

If you are looking to be close to downtown Louisville, this is the campground for you. The staff was super nice and the location is very convenient for getting downtown. It's basically just a parking lot. Also, there is a train that runs behind the campground all night long. Keep that in mind if you are a light sleeper! There is a gas station on site which made filling up propane and gas super easy. The laundry was amazing - cheap and 6 washers and dryers. I was able to get completely caught up on laundry! We rode bikes to downtown Louisville from here and had a great afternoon. There are also neat places to go on the Indiana side of the river. All in all, we had a great stay and if we are ever in the Louisville area again we would gladly stay here for the convenience.

Great place! We will come back!

There are full hook-up sites and electric. Regular electric sites on the water are beautiful but not sure we could park our 41 ft fifth wheel on a water site. Trails are rugged at times and you can access them through campground. We are here in the fall but the beach looks like a good size. Boat rentals. Cabins look cute. We peeked in one. Double bed with bunks in room. Theres a loft for kids. A/C and heat but not bathroom. Bring a mattress or sleeping bags or you will sleep on wood. I recommend the water cabins. Playgrounds are sprinkled throughout. DNR dont patrol a lot. Quiet campground.

Pretty electric sites on the lake; full hookups in the woods

Take bug spray in the summer! Swimming beach and boat ramp/kayak rental available.

Clean and secluded

Two lakes within the recreation area to fish and boat in. During mid August, Celine lake has freshwater Jellyfish that you can catch. Campsites nice!

Clifty Falls Primitive campsites

Nice sized campsites with good amount of space between sites. Pottable water spigots every 8 or so sites. Have to drive to trail heads from campsites. Beautiful trails to hike! Enough trails so you don't feel crowded by others