Snowmass Village , COLORADO

Most Recent Snowmass Village Camping Reviews
Limited winter access

I drove up this past weekend for some mid January winter camping and was not disappointed. The road appeared to be rarely traveled and it took some effort just to get my Tacoma to the start of the dispersed camping with no hopes of making it further down the road due to deep snow. Plenty of firewood and gorgeous views, will definitely be returning when it’s a little warmer out.

Amazing views

Stayed here back in June and it was incredible. Was easy to get up there in my Subaru but I could see it being a bit difficult if you were in a 2WD vehicle. Campsites were clean and had incredible views. There wasn’t a lot of people there but everyone was very spread out. It was also extremely quite. I believe it was $15 for an overnight campsite and $5 for day use. I HIGHLY recommend Kite Lake. Will definitely be back!

Beautiful Place

I went here with my boyfriend and some family and it was so peaceful. All the trees on the campground make you feel like there really isn’t anyone else nearby. The best part is Twin Lake is only a short drive away. Great Lake for kite flying too!

Best Campsite Yet

We got an amazing site here, best we’ve had in Colorado! Note that there aren’t a ton of good sites, so if you don’t show up early you might be out of luck. I think we got there Friday before noon and got one of the last decent sites. I still have not seen stars as pretty as I saw here. The reservoir is about 10 minutes driving down the dirt road (highly recommend a sunrise visit). Hiking nearby too. All first come sites with no fire grates or tables. Very secluded sites.

I mean, look at these pictures of the reservoir.

Was good long ago

Lots of people and worse they all seem to be crapping everywhere. Toilet paper (used) litters the areas near the stream.

Lucky find!

On a roadtrip from Houston to Vegas.. my darling fiancée and I had planned on stopping in crested butte but couldn’t manage to make it there in time and we just so happened to find this campsite along the road we were traveling and good lord I’ve never been so happy with a campground!!!!! One of my favorite stays along this week long trip!

Only downside was that it was very close to the road but that’s not enough for me to take down a star! Easy self pay right up front, bathroom, nice trails, and the views here were unlike anything I’d seen off the side of any old road!

The pictures are amazing but they still do no justice!!

Campsite was clean, there was only 1 other camper, few was just $12(if I recall correctly) and honestly I would paid well over that amount for this spot!

Each campsite has a small trail behind it that leads to a river with a towering cliff on the other side. Yes… I went to all the campsites and went through all their little hidden trails to see which one had the prettiest sights and I tell you what.. they were all amazing! Especially this one that had rocks that you could walk on out over the water. It was a campers dream 😍

I would and have been suggesting this spot to anyone traveling through Gunnison, CO!!!

Perfect weather in October!

Drove out with some friends from Kansas in early October this year and the views and weather was Amazing! Campsite has “fees” through an honor system so you no host to worry about you come and camp as you go here. Place has fire pits bathrooms! One of my favorite spots to camp in Colorado so far.

Beautiful Dispersed Camping Near MTB Trails

Travel a few miles down Brush Creek Trail. After passing Strand Hill MTB trail you will get to a split in the road. The left turn will take you up a deeply rutted 4WD road towards Teocalli Ridge MTB trail. Lots of beautiful camping on this road. But it can be tough sledding when it is wet. If you stay to the right you will get to a flat where many people will camp. You can get a smaller RV/Trailer/Sprinter here very easily. If you are intrepid - and have a good 4WD with some clearance - you can continue through the creek and up the hill where superb, quiet dispersed camping exists.

Leave no trace.

Perhaps the best place I have ever camped

Hard to get to the area, cold at night (year round) and very far from town. Those are good things for this kind of camping. This is for tents, 4WD trucks and for only the smallest trailers (little teardrops with a good clearance). You are pretty close to tree-line here. Just a stunning view and the quietest, coolest nights you can get.

Only downside is on a Saturday morning a couple of trailers filled with OHVs and dirt bikes with out-of-state plates (you can guess which one) arrived and started ripping up the land before a few people addressed them and asked them to stop tearing up the tundra filled with beautiful wildflowers. Folks, treat this land with respect. Leave no trace.

Campsites and Dispersed Available

This review is for the dispersed camping just beyond the campsite. The campsite is small but right along the beautiful lake. But it was all filled up by the time we got there. We moved another mile or two up the road and had some beautiful dispersed camping. In these COVID days, Colorado is overrun with campers but this was still very nice and quiet. Note to those who are new to camping/Colorado…don't drive out onto the tundra. Not cool. Plenty of places to camp without damaging the tundra along the two splintering roads, each of which terminate not too far from the lake. The lake is gorgeous and filled with trout. Also great for paddle boards and other small non motorized boats. This lake definitely gets busy after 10am. The road up can be a little rough, but you can get a decent sized camper or small trailer up.

Leave no trace.