The best BOAT IN camping near
Grand Lake , COLORADO

Most Recent Grand Lake Camping Reviews
Closed

We were so excited but as of January 1, 2021 it is closed. I’m sure it will reopen during warmer seasons.

Small but very nice campground above Loveland, CO

Pinewood Reservoir campground (also reviewed on this website as "Pinewood Lake" campground) is a small but well-maintained campground and has nice views of a lake and rolling foothills. There are 16 RV sites and 9 walk-in tent sites. Non-motorized small boats allowed and there is an easy hiking trail around the lake. Only draw back is you pay both a park fee and a campsite fee.

Our favorite

Damaged by the East Troublesome fire in 2020. At least one restroom destroyed. I doubt it will open in 2021. But I hope so.

Convenient location

All sites have great access and close to the ponds. Variety of fish in the ponds. They allow ice fishing as long as the ice is safe. Some traffic noise if you are on the east side of the park due to proximity to I 25. Best to get a yearly Colorado access pass.

Nice Little Campground By The Water

Stillwater campground is a decent size campground with Back in campsites and pull through sites. The entire campground is basically two loops next to the water so pretty much every campsite has gorgeous view of the lake and the mountains. I visited in July of 2020 and it was beautiful.

My only complaint is that I had made my reservations online a month before our actual arrival date. Yet, when we showed up at 7:30pm with the sun almost completely set, 2 hungry dogs, and 3 humans ready to stretch legs after a 13 hour drive, we discovered that someone had already set up camp in our reserved space (#106). The camp host on duty had circled our site as one of the ones available for a one night stay even though it was reserved (for us!). I got a little worried for a moment since all campgrounds nearby were at full capacity and we needed a site for 2 nights. I really didn’t want to make the people who had already set up their camp site move. After talking to the host we managed to find one site in this campground available for both nights and honestly it was better than the site I had originally reserved!

We ended up setting up camp in site 123. It was closer to the bathrooms, a little more private, and big enough for both of our tents. We had our own little pathway to a small beached area next to the lake where we enjoyed watching the sun rise and drinking our coffee. This place is a short drive to the south entrance of RMNP so it made exploring during the day easy. They campground hosts have firewood there you can buy (I think it was $6 but I can’t remember now) and the bathrooms were really clean. No showers though. Each campsite had a picnic table and a fire pit. And cell service was great with verizon!

I’d definitely stay here again even with our minor inconvenience when we first arrived. I usually stay in Estes Park but I’m really glad we didn’t this time. It was nice and quiet. Perfect for our quiet, social distancing adventure.

Great campground on the lake close to town

This is a great campground if you want to be close to be close to Fort Collins, and/or enjoy the lake. Horsetooth Reservoir is a very long lake great for boating, and with some gorgeous inlets to explore. The campground itself is clean and well laid out. The only downside is the road is fairly close and creates a bit of noise, even late at night as there is some local traffic to access the neighborhoods behind the reservoir.

Beautiful campground

Small campground but fully treed and camphosts friendly and informative. First come first serve. Drinking water on campground at both vault toilets. Great access to Lake Granby with private access at the campground. Most sites are shaded and are very private. Campground is small and fills up fast during the season. Noisy on weekends with all sites filled up. Will stay here again when visiting nearby Rocky Mountain National Park.

Halloween

I checked in. The wind was blowing. Too cold for tent camping. Will be back. 🎃

Best little NFS campground

First off their hosts Frank and Michelle are amazing! They are out first in the morning - early evening making sure everything in the camp is in order. There are a few hike in sites but most accommodate RVs. Plenty of trees for privacy especially if you're on the lake side. Typical NFS vault toilets but clean. Dumpsters for trash. Water spigots but not with threads so you can't hookup a hose. 7 day stay in Arapahoe. Easy access to Rocky Mountain National Park.

NFS campground but no potable water

Great NFS Campground but come prepared with water for drinking and washing. Typical vault toilets for an NFS Campground. Great access to the lake. Private sites varying in size to accommodate larger RVs or tents. Our site was large enough to accommodate a hybrid trailer and large SUV. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit (though no fires allowed when we were there).