Standard (Tent/RV)
About Arapaho Bay Campground

Arapaho Bay Campground is located on Lake Granby, southeast of Grand Lake, in north central Colorado. Visitors enjoy the area for its great boating, fishing and hiking opportunities.

Recreation

Lake Granby is part of the Arapaho National Recreation Area. It offers boating, sailing, swimming and fishing. Anglers cast for kokanee salmon and a variety of trout, including rainbow, brown, mackinaw and cutthroat. National Fishing Week is held the first week of June each year.

Numerous hiking and horseback riding trails are located within the Arapaho National Recreation Area, including the Roaring Fork Trail, Monarch Lake Trail and the East Shore Trail (which is part of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail).

Facilities

The campground offers three loops of single- and double-family sites, a few of which are accessible. Each site is equipped with a picnic table, campfire ring and tent pad. Vault toilets, drinking water and trash collection are provided.

Natural Features

The campground is situated on Arapaho Bay, on the eastern tip of Lake Granby, at an elevation of 8,300 feet. Afternoon thunder showers should be expected during the summer months.

Due to the mountain pine beetle infestation and consequent hazardous tree removal, the campground offers little to no shade.

Nearby Attractions

Rocky Mountain National Park's west entrance is just north of Grand Lake. With lush valleys and craggy peaks reaching elevations over 14,000 feet, visitors are provided opportunities for countless breathtaking experiences and adventures. Scenic driving, hiking, backpacking, fishing, horseback riding and wildlife viewing are popular activities in the park.

ADA Access: N

No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
No Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 45 ft.
Arapaho Bay Campground is located in Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland in Colorado
Directions
From the intersection of U.S. Highways 40 and 34 in Granby, head north on Highway 34 for about 5 miles to County Road 6. Go east for 9 miles to the campground.
23 Reviews of Arapaho Bay Campground
Beautiful spot with lots of shade

This is a great campground; clean, easy access, with tons of shade even though it's close to the lake which I love. It's essentially split into 3 sections (Arapaho Bay Big Rock, Morraine, and Roaring Fork). They're all essentially the same campground but they are run by different hosts. Roaring Fork and Morraine are right on the lake but have NO shade. Arapaho Bay- Big Rock is fully shaded and still only <5 minute drive (probably a 20 minute walk) to the water.

Also, we saw a baby moose and his mama while we were here! Camped here late July and it was great weather for hiking, kayaking, and sleeping under the stars!

Please be aware that CO weather (especially in the mountains) is very prone to quick changes. Come prepared with lots of layers, weather-proof clothing, and tents that can withstand a storm.

Arapahoe Bay Campground

Nice sized spaces, many sites close to the water, good wildlife sittings (moose, bald eagles, bear) beautiful large lake with Colorado River headwaters, near town of Grand Lake and entrance to Rocky Mt. Natl Park. Only thing missing is some hook-ups.  We love it,

Hidden Gem

Here are a few pics from the Roaring Creek Campground taken on 09/26/2020.

Unethical Business Practices

This was my first time camping at Arapaho Bay Campground. I made my reservation a week in advance and drove 3 hours on Saturday morning. Due to the wildfires surrounding the area, traffic was heavy and I was 48 minutes late. When I arrived I found a truck and trailer parked in my spot. I had read that if you do not show up exactly at 2pm the Camp Host will sell your spot. I waited for an hour and got nowhere with the Camp Host. So I negotiated a deal where I would take a spot inland and he would refund me my money for the night. Everything worked out and I had a wonderful time. However, I do believe my spot was compromised and it has not set well with me all weekend.

Great Campsite, rough access road

Site was fantastic, with a nice host, good access to the lake, and just a good location overall. Clean, well maintained site. Made the mistake of picking the site near the entrance but still ok since roads weren't that busy.

Be warned: road in across the dam is ROUGH to the point of hazard, and lacks guardrail. Significant safety concern for others or those with large or unwieldy vehicles.

Great campground

We were looking for first come first serve sites, as there was nothing available to book the week before our visit. We tried the roaring fork loop first and it was very full (we arrived at 1pm which is their checkout time). Got a little nervous, but the Moraine loop had 3 openings! The camp host, Jackie, was amazing and tipped us off to a lake front spot that someone had no showed for. The views were incredible, and we pretty much had private lake access for our paddle board and kayak. Not the most private campground (we could see both of our neighbors), but the views made up for it. There was no shade at our spot, but again, that didn’t really matter to us because the lake was so beautiful. It’s very close to several trailheads as well. We will be going back!

Scenic on the lake

Stayed in the Roaring Fork area waaaay in the back of this campground. Surrounded by mountains and right on the lake shore made this a great location. You can hear the Roaring Fork gushing nearby. Thankfully the site neighbors were quiet and courteous, because there is no privacy. Lots of fat little chipmunks!

one of the best places to camp on the westside of Rocky Mountain National Park

The first come first serve sites fill up by early Thursday. Get there earlier in the week and you will have a better chance of getting a spot. And screw recreation.gov for making reservations in outer nightmare

Beautiful, clean, comfortable

Loved my stay here! All sites were full, but everyone was respectful and sites were spaced well apart. Stayed at site 40 on the Moraine loop. Big sites, big fire pits, clean facilities. No bear lockers and only vault toilets, nowhere to wash hands so bring hand sanitizer. We had a little bit of shade at our site which was great. Camp management was very very friendly and welcoming. They're not kidding when they say bear country- had bears at our site and around the campground 2 out of 3 nights!

The Host is a thief

Make sure your are I time because if you are not Bob will sell your sight out from under you. The policy is not overtly advertised or any where on the app. We arrived 15 minutes late to find another camper in our RESERVED spot. Bob is a coward the hides behind this bullshit policy and screws people over.