Carlsbad, CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Carlsbad Camping Reviews
Aging, but still with a lot of value

We enjoyed a 6 night stay at the Temecula/Vail Lake KOA over New Years.  It's a great, yet remote location for exploring the Temecula wine country and a good jumping off point for some fun mountain biking.

The KOA was pretty crowded during the time we were there with lots of families, kids on bikes, dogs, etc.  We didn't mind but if you are looking for solitude, this may not be the place for you.  The amenities are very worn. Bathrooms looked like they'd not been updated for a long time and decaying recreational facilities like the putt putt, motocross and pool area were unusable.  There was, however,  relatively new pickle ball courts which made it look like the owners are trying to maintain an old and very large property.

Staff was friendly and helpful. There were a number of activities for the kids too.

Overall this was a fun place.

Good small quiet campground

Nice campground up in the mountains, pretty small and really quiet. Probably about 60% of the campers live there full time. Great campground if your just trying to stay at your campsite and relax. There is a nice lake to go to about 20 minutes up the road, lake Henshaw. Only reason I’m giving it 4 stars is because the crazy ruts on most the campsites to pull into your site. Was pulling a pop up camper with a Toyota Sequoia and bottom out a few times. But definitely worth checking out if your looking for a weekend up in the mountains relaxing

Really enjoyed!

I really like this campground! The bathrooms are very clean and well maintained! The campground features a creek that runs through the tent sites towards the back! There were so many frogs and tadpoles! The creek eventually flows into a pond located on the other end of the campground. The pond is actually pretty large! Lots of space to walk around and explore. There is quite a bit of poison oak in the area, however you are in an old oak tree grove so it’s inevitable. Every other site was occupied in order to maintain new physical distancing requirements, the added privacy is great. Site 59 has to be one of the best tent sites, right on the creek with bathrooms close by. Lots of families so it was a little loud at some points of the day with all the kids running around, but not too much of an annoyance. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here. It is far enough from the main highway that you feel like you’re out in the woods. I would stay here again!

Great!

I have stayed here a few different times, each time I’ve stayed in different campsites. The campsites in the first loop nearest the ranger station definitely have the nicest, cleanest bathrooms. The bathrooms over in the tent loop towards the back sites 60-100ish have a much smaller bathroom however during the summer they were filled with all sorts of bugs, both flying and crawling. Even saw a huge rat crawl up the wall into the shower. But you’re out in the woods so you can’t be too mad at that. The trails are very accessible and distributed all throughout the campground. There is a creek but I’ve never seen it with water, maybe in the early spring after the rains it flows? Lots of wildlife also! I’ve seen mule deer, turkeys and so many different birds like western blue birds, woodpeckers and the occasional hawk! This place is off to the side and secluded so it really does feel like you’re out in the woods and not at a developed campground five miles away from the town of Julian. If you’ve never been to Julian you have to try some of their apple pie! It’s what they are known for! Overall, this campsite is family friendly, clean and easy to get to!

Fun as a kid

Love this place when I was a kid

Little piece of heaven.

So, as we are quarantined (2020) I was trying to find something that wasn't closed and just a quick get away to test some new camping equipment.  I stumbled across Bierbaum from Google and got the dyrt ad,  I saw they had animals and I was hooked.

I was going to camp alone for the first time and thought this is perfect, the thought of being on someone's property was interesting as well.

The travel to the property is breathtaking and it was easy to find.

Marcella was in constant contact with me which was great and quite hospitable.

I was in site #2 which I liked.  I was able to set-up two ez up sized tents and my van fit fine.  It is the furthest down on the property.

The common area is quite inviting with a small jacuzzi and several seats.

It was a wonderful little get-away for me.  I plan on going back and once quarantine is over take in Lake Skinner and Diamond Lake which are not too far from the property.

I totally recommend take a bit of time to hang out here.

Breath Taking!

We did a very primitive trip here; riding motorbikes from LA up to Yosemite.

Toured with Wilderness Collective. AMAZING people based out of LA.

The trails are honestly some of the most gorgeous I have ever seen.

There were some bears nearby - prepare for that! Oh & it was pretty chilly in the fall.

Bring what you need. And ready yourself to be humbled by the majesty of your surroundings

An Amazing Experiance

We go camping all the time, and I'm not a fan of hosted campgrounds, but, this place is amazing!

Marcella truly makes this a fun experience and is a fantastic host!

The view is awesome! The goats are a great time! The herb garden, the hot tub, the bunny! After all that you get to go off to your own little hideaway spot and enjoy the great camping!

Seriously, I couldn't recommend this enough.

Thanks Marcella!

Nice close getaway!

This campsite is definitely kid and dog friendly! My kind of campsite. Pool was clean and open. My son loved the bmx bike trails. Dogs loved the grass we stayed in Chardonnay Mesa some had grass sites. Great amount of trees for shade! Most sites had fire ring and bbq pit. Everyone was extremely friendly! Will definitely come back. Saw blue jays and squirrels! Pics are from campsite #73.

Full time

A lot of full timers. Decent place.