Oxbow Estates , ARIZONA

Most Recent Oxbow Estates Camping Reviews
Free BLM land

There are multiple spots to choose from along this dirt road (Bloody Basin Rd) to pull off and camp. The road is nicely graded and fairly smooth with a few sections of washboard and rocky spots. We did fine in our 26 ft class C but drive with caution as some of the pull outs do not have turn around areas and there are deep ruts and washouts to navigate around.

There is no water, garbage or any other amenities so pack in and out whatever you bring, and pack out some more if you’re so inclined. Lots of debris left behind by shooters.

Nice area with trails to hike or bike around. There are quite a lot of ATVs but they were not as bothersome as some of the areas we’ve camped in. You can hear the highway noise and see light pollution from Phoenix but it was not horrible. We did see some shooting garbage, targets and shells laying around but did not hear any shooting when we were there. My dog did get sprayed by a skunk during the daylight about 10 yards from our spot so be aware of wildlife!

We did see a park ranger while we are there which is always nice.

Weak but usable Verizon and AT&T coverage but not enough to stream anything.

Free BLM / Listed on Google maps as a museum

You can find this spot on Google maps listed as a museum under "Apache Trail Corral" or "Old Corral," not sure why!

Very weak, almost unusable verizon or AT&T at site itself, but if you walk up the hill behind the corral you get excellent service.

Motorcycles and cars racing up and down the road almost all night, very loud. Good for an overnight but too close to the busy road and too loud to stay longer.

If you go down the other side of the corral there are a couple more spots that are a little more secluded, but you’ll need a high clearance vehicle to navigate the ruts.

Desert camping

There is many different pull through spots off this road. Pack it in and pack it out. Many different wildlife animals out. Great views.

Cozy spot in the woods

Heavily wooded area with tons of space for dispersed sites. Road is in great shape and easy for our travel trailer to make it in. Camping spots are towards the beginning of the road you turn off of, so don’t drive all the way down to the water like we did lol

Large Sites - Really Dusty

I camped here with my two dogs at the end September. I wanted to get a spot on the rim but it was full. Actually everything was really full. I'm glad I came up on a Friday afternoon otherwise I'm not sure where I wouldn't have gotten a site. The sites are large and fairly wooded. But super dusty. I planned on staying 3 nights but on Sunday afternoon almost everyone was gone. I couldn't see another camper from my site. Then a bit before dusk some guy stopped by to ask me for an air pump. Being a single woman (but with two dogs) it made me uncomfortable. Better safe than sorry. Packed it up and went home to take a much needed shower. It's a great location for visit the local lakes. I went to both Bear and Knoll lake in my Prius. (-:

One of our best sites yet.

camping in a 2 man tent, traveling in a raised 2WD. We took the dirt road to the end looking for a nice secluded spot, we passed a handful of sites for both rvs and tent. We found a small site in a dried out run off area past the second cattle guard.

We ventured down as far as we could go and carried our tent the remaining 20 or so meters.

Lots of dried wood around for kindling, enough stones to make a fire ring.

The sunrise and sunset here were spectacular, the lake provides an awesome blue.

Free BLM dispersed camping

This is a good boondocking spot if you’re driving along the I-17. We spent one night here. The freeway is close enough to here in the background but far enough that you can easily fall asleep. There are a couple vault toilets when you pull off the pavement. A few other vehicles were camping in the area. We had good AT&T / Verizon service in the area.

Great long term option

Very open and spacious. Nice to have a hot tub available. Cell and wif not great but not this places fault

Great place.

Would come back again. Great location to Sedona and Grand Canyon.

Dispersed camping immediately above climbing

BRING WATER!! Lots of dispersed spots. Spots range in size from tent to medium bumper pull camper with larger spaces further away from the trailhead. 10min hike down to the climbing area. Latrine on site, as always bring your own TP.