Standard (Tent/RV)
Equestrian
About Fr 9350 Campground

Dispersed Camping Area. Vault toilet is located at entrance to campground at the Carr Lake Trail Head. This camping area is located immediately adjacent to the Mogollon Rim Escarpment and several campsites are bordered by a 200' vertical drop. This area is not recommended for families with young children or people who are uneasy with heights.

National Forest
Max Vehicle Length Unknown
Fr 9350 Campground is located in Arizona
15 Reviews of Fr 9350 Campground
Thanksgiving on the Rim

Luckily, we found an open spot on the Rim arriving on Thanksgiving day. Several open spots on the other side of the road. Chilly weather with some snow flurries overnight. The spots face west and make for some awesome sunset memories. Be careful at night on the Rim side for sure! I can imagine this is impossible in the summer because it's just so cool.

PERFECTION!!!!

This is my favorite site! Free, beautiful dispersed camping! I have been up every other weekend and am obsessed!

Hard to get - beautiful sites

I drove up on a Sunday afternoon in the hopes some weekenders were leaving. I had my heart set on getting a rim camping site. They were all taken. But I stopped and talked to a couple that I thought was leaving…they had just gotten there minutes before me and offered to let me stay on their site. Super thoughtful! The sites are large with a good amount of space between each camp site. A friend got me a pop-up outhouse kind-of as a joke but I sure am glad I had it. There are no public vault toilets near by.

I can't wait to go again. These are tough spots to get. I'd say it would be next to impossible to get a one on a Friday or Saturday.

Has to be one of the best

Camping that’s free with an amazing view. Yes, this place has it all. Plus there are trails nearby. One of which goes down to the creek about 3 miles away. We will be going back someday!

Spectacular Free Spot

Thank you to the others that post reviews. My nephew and I went up and stayed 3 days 2 nights and it was great. We managed to grab a spot (#16)that didn’t have a view but we were thankful because it was full and didn’t seem that anyone was leaving any time soon. And to see the view was just a 20 foot walk. Also we were right by a trailhead so we did have passerby’s but no worries. There is a host that comes around so that feel safe and welcoming. No bathrooms or showers which is fine by me bc it means less people. This spot offers great views without having to go as off road at my fav spot in Flagstaff (The End of the World). No complaints at all. Oh and we did have cell service so that was a bonus for safety. Thanks friends for your posts.

Impossible to get spot on weekend

These spots are not secret anymore. Tried to find a spot this weekend and it was completely full. Wasted day. Limit is 14 day stay. Some of the spots looked like the residents were there far longer. This is the danger with dispersed camping. Really is a shame. Views are amazing.

Plenty of Dispersed Camping overlooking the Rim

All along Rim Road there are tons of dispersed camping sites that offer sweeping views of the forest below. Knoll Lake, Bear Canyon Lake, Woods Canyon Lake, and Willow Springs Lake are all right along that ridge and pretty easy to get to. Check the weather…closes in winter.

Beautiful views, but difficult to get a site

This spot has great views since half of the sites are directly along the Mogollon Rim, but ultimately it can be tough to grab a spot since first come first serve and it’s a very well known, free campsite. The first time we visited and wanted to camp here all spots were taken. There are other spots in the area to camp in the event you don’t get a spot, you just don’t get the view of being on the rim. (See my reviews if you want to know more about FR 84 in the event you don’t get a spot at FR9350.)

The second time we came up we managed to grab a spot on the rim side of the road, spot #30, around noon. We saw one or two vehicles drive up and back the dirt road with gear in the back searching for a spot within minutes of grabbing the site, so how we managed to nab it I’m not sure—the previous campers must have left minutes before we arrived.

Because some of these sites are next to the Rim without any barrier between you and the drop off, this site may not be for those with young children or pets that wish to roam. If you do come with young kids or roaming animals it may be best to look for a spot on the far side, or the side that is not directly on the Rim.

This site has two pit style toilets at the entrance; however, we bushed it. Some sites have a picnic table but some do not— if you are not in an RV or camper and require a camp table, it is best to bring one. (Our site did not have a picnic table when we visited but we did pack a camp table and were happy we did.) In addition, it sometimes has a camp host; I did not notice a camp host the first time we drove thru but there was one there the second time when we got the chance to camp here. We did not encounter any noisy neighbors while we were here. Depending on when you visits, weather may be unpredictable. While weather was perfect during our visit in early July, I have seen and heard weather can change quickly on the Rim. It is also good to know this campsite can be very dusty; so I highly recommend bringing a pack or two of baby wipes and any allergy meds you might need. A headlamp is a good idea too since you always want to be able to see at nighttime being so close to a large drop off. Last, I have Verizon and got service at our campsite.

Spectacular views and variable mountain weather

First review; very first time camping. I wasn't sure what to expect or if I'd even make it through the one night I'd scheduled (TheWife was confident I'd bail) and when I got drenched to the bone on my afternoon hike, it was even more in doubt. But it cleared up, mostly, and the locale was so beautiful and cool and refreshing I toughed it out.

A mix of smaller and larger, numbered spots with a decent amount of space between. The larger ones easily accommodated trailers/RVs; I think the spot I selected would have been a bit tight for anything more than a smaller popup trailer. The spots on the south side of the road are right at the edge of the Mogollon rim, so they're a bit more dangerous for pets and small children (or drunk adults) but have the advantage of being right on the rim.

I could hear a neighbor who decided to blast their music till too damn late and a bit after midnight someone incredibly inconsiderate drove slowly down the forest road honking their horn intermittently. I'm trying to convince myself they were looking for a lost friend, family member, or pet so that I don't think they were that rude. If you're looking for isolation, these spots won't necessarily give it to you, though some of the larger ones set back further from the road would clearly be better on that front.

Fire rings; plenty of flat space for tents; plenty of sturdy, well-spaced trees for hammocks.

The road's passable for most passenger cars.

Some gorgeous hiking trails right near by, including Drew Trail which you can take down the rim to pick up the Highline.

Second time here!

So I took my Dobie up and camped for a second time, just the two of us. Went up on a Friday and arrived at 3pm. I got the very last site, all the way at the end of 9350. There were big piles of branches and leaves left from last year when they thinned out the forest. Huge muddy deep ruts in the ground. Very few trees at this particular site. Also quite aways from the actual rim. Absolutely no cell service on this spot. 1.2 miles to the vault toilet, which was an easy walk.

Long story short, not the best site, but I was just glad to nab one on a Friday. Everyone was quiet by 9:30pm. My neighbors were friendly, waving and saying hello and respecting each other's space. Lots of privacy.

Year 2021 Flag