Equestrian
Water Unknown
About Fr 9350 Campground

Dispersed Camping Area. Vault toilet is located at entrance to campground at the Carr Lake Trail Head. This camping area is located immediately adjacent to the Mogollon Rim Escarpment and several campsites are bordered by a 200' vertical drop. This area is not recommended for families with young children or people who are uneasy with heights.

National Forest
No Sanitary Dump
Fr 9350 Campground is located in Arizona
8 Reviews of Fr 9350 Campground
Beautiful views, but difficult to get a site

This spot has great views since half of the sites are directly along the Mogollon Rim, but ultimately it can be tough to grab a spot since first come first serve and it’s a very well known, free campsite. The first time we visited and wanted to camp here all spots were taken. There are other spots in the area to camp in the event you don’t get a spot, you just don’t get the view of being on the rim. (See my reviews if you want to know more about FR 84 in the event you don’t get a spot at FR9350.)

The second time we came up we managed to grab a spot on the rim side of the road, spot #30, around noon. We saw one or two vehicles drive up and back the dirt road with gear in the back searching for a spot within minutes of grabbing the site, so how we managed to nab it I’m not sure—the previous campers must have left minutes before we arrived.

Because some of these sites are next to the Rim without any barrier between you and the drop off, this site may not be for those with young children or pets that wish to roam. If you do come with young kids or roaming animals it may be best to look for a spot on the far side, or the side that is not directly on the Rim.

This site has two pit style toilets at the entrance; however, we bushed it. Some sites have a picnic table but some do not— if you are not in an RV or camper and require a camp table, it is best to bring one. (Our site did not have a picnic table when we visited but we did pack a camp table and were happy we did.) In addition, it sometimes has a camp host; I did not notice a camp host the first time we drove thru but there was one there the second time when we got the chance to camp here. We did not encounter any noisy neighbors while we were here. Depending on when you visits, weather may be unpredictable. While weather was perfect during our visit in early July, I have seen and heard weather can change quickly on the Rim. It is also good to know this campsite can be very dusty; so I highly recommend bringing a pack or two of baby wipes and any allergy meds you might need. A headlamp is a good idea too since you always want to be able to see at nighttime being so close to a large drop off. Last, I have Verizon and got service at our campsite.

Spectacular views and variable mountain weather

First review; very first time camping. I wasn't sure what to expect or if I'd even make it through the one night I'd scheduled (TheWife was confident I'd bail) and when I got drenched to the bone on my afternoon hike, it was even more in doubt. But it cleared up, mostly, and the locale was so beautiful and cool and refreshing I toughed it out.

A mix of smaller and larger, numbered spots with a decent amount of space between. The larger ones easily accommodated trailers/RVs; I think the spot I selected would have been a bit tight for anything more than a smaller popup trailer. The spots on the south side of the road are right at the edge of the Mogollon rim, so they're a bit more dangerous for pets and small children (or drunk adults) but have the advantage of being right on the rim.

I could hear a neighbor who decided to blast their music till too damn late and a bit after midnight someone incredibly inconsiderate drove slowly down the forest road honking their horn intermittently. I'm trying to convince myself they were looking for a lost friend, family member, or pet so that I don't think they were that rude. If you're looking for isolation, these spots won't necessarily give it to you, though some of the larger ones set back further from the road would clearly be better on that front.

Fire rings; plenty of flat space for tents; plenty of sturdy, well-spaced trees for hammocks.

The road's passable for most passenger cars.

Some gorgeous hiking trails right near by, including Drew Trail which you can take down the rim to pick up the Highline.

Second time here!

So I took my Dobie up and camped for a second time, just the two of us. Went up on a Friday and arrived at 3pm. I got the very last site, all the way at the end of 9350. There were big piles of branches and leaves left from last year when they thinned out the forest. Huge muddy deep ruts in the ground. Very few trees at this particular site. Also quite aways from the actual rim. Absolutely no cell service on this spot. 1.2 miles to the vault toilet, which was an easy walk.

Long story short, not the best site, but I was just glad to nab one on a Friday. Everyone was quiet by 9:30pm. My neighbors were friendly, waving and saying hello and respecting each other's space. Lots of privacy.

Such a great site.

Solo camping experience, first timer. Went on a Sunday and tent camped one night. Scoped the site out first and found a lot of great options available. There were still plenty of people up there that I wasn't totally alone, but enough sites opened up that there was a good selection. I opted for one right on the rim itself. The hosts were there and there were clean supplied vault toilets within a minute drive. Went for a hike at Woods Canyon Lake. Each site was just far enough away that you couldn't really hear each other but you were sort of in sight of people if needed. But still private and very quiet. You can choose between a rim site or go across the street and opt for a forest site. There is cell service.

My favorite spot hands down

If you’re looking for peace and quiet and incredible views you’ve found here at this campground! If you’re lucky enough to get a spot with views you won’t be disappointed. Watching the skies change from beautiful to threatening rain is amazing. Come see for yourself. Highly recommended

Good campground, beautiful views

Very cool being right on the rim, did an evening hike to the rim from our camp site. Camping was very busy but we were lucky enough to find a spot on a sat morning. They do have bathrooms but they were a short drive from where we were. Went and visited a few other areas with the ranger and there are a ton of big sites around. Will be going back again.

one of the best on the rim

This is easily one of the better established campgrounds on the rim. Campgrounds are more dispersed here, leaving more room between you and any neighbors. Four star rating because I have had exceptionally loud neighbors here more than once.

There are camp sites that are located right on the edge of the rim. Please mind this if you have children, dogs, or are drinking at night. The drop off the rim is significant enough that I give it Jacobs survival rate of ZERO percent. So, please be careful.

Another tip of advice, weather on the rim can seemingly change without notice. The mountains themselves can affect weather patterns, but being this elevated in the Ponderosa Pines makes it nearly impossible to see weather coming from the east (of this campground ) I have personally been up here multiple times when it was blue skies and sunny, and within minutes was under serious downpour and even hail (twice). BSA motto; BE PREPARED!

besides that, Rim Road (FS 300) is very well maintained meaning most vehicles can drive the dirt road. the turn into this camp ground, and road within, is not as well maintained, but still manageable for most passenger vehicles.

There are numerous hiking trails up here, and a handful of lakes throughout this area where fishing and non motorized boats are allowed. chevelon lake is my favorite and most isolated, yet is a mile hike downhill to lake, which means 1 mile hike uphill to get back.

Overall, this is a fantastic spot with lots of possible activities for groups of all sizes and ages, as well as superiors views.

Gorgeous!!

We have been camping here for years. Beautiful pine trees and sites right on the Mogollon Rim. 10 min drive to woods canyon lake which is stunningly beautiful. This is one of many dispersed FR near Woods canyon lake. 2 hours from the scorching heat of Phoenix, we enjoy the beautiful shady weather. We get good cell service also which is always a plus when you have kids at home. You can get water for free by the lake and a lake store for anything you need. Not sure how much the dump station and trash is since we’ve never used it. You can rent boats & kayaks at the lake also. The trout fishing is great! We have never left empty handed. There is a ton of space between the camp sites so you have privacy. The roads are dirt and some washboard areas, but we have driven in a small car packed with camping gear and a 4x4 truck towing a camper and never had a problem. There is one vault toilet near the entrance of FR 9350. I believe all sites have a fire ring, at least all the ones we have stayed at. You won’t be disappointed!