About Vedauwoo Campground

The campground is composed of two loops, winding around the boulders, slabs and cliffs of the Vedauwoo rock formation which comprises 10 square miles of weathered Sherman granite.  There are 28 campsites with tables, fire rings, trash pick up and vault toilets.  This area is constructed to blend in with the natural beauty of the surroundings.  The vegetation is a variety of Limber pine, Engleman spruce, Douglas fir and Aspen.

The general area was once used as a hideout for outlaws. Native Americans thought playful spirits piled up the boulders. All the tent sites are walk-ins and some of them are so secluded, one might feel the "outlaw's spirit."   There is access to rock climbing and a nature trail through the rocks.

It is located in the Pole Mountain area and is managed by the Laramie Ranger District.

National Forest
Vedauwoo Campground is located in Wyoming
Directions
From Laramie, take Interstate 80 east 15.8 miles to Vedauwoo Road/ exit 329. Exit and go to stop sign; turn left onto Vedauwoo Rd. and go 1.2 miles. Turn left at sign and go 0.3 miles to campground.
19 Reviews of Vedauwoo Campground
Neat

Great for hiking and light rock climbing

Ranger Review: Mountain House Breakfast Skillet, Biscuits and Gravy at Vedauwoo Campground, WY

Campsite Review

This place is as advertised, and that's a good thing. All of these 28 sites are first come, first serve and since it is so conveniently located off I-80 and only 20 miles west of I-25, it's a wonderful spot to camp that's not hard to get to. There is a welcome area right off the highway with information on the surrounding hiking and bouldering opportunities, with maps included. I was rained and hailed on the night I stayed and into the next morning, so I wasn't able to take advantage of the hiking options, but the scenery of this place is very picture worthy and campsites are dispersed well enough so even when this campground is near capacity, you'd still feel like you've got privacy.

There are bathrooms (outhouses) with TP and places for drinking water. Also dumpsters that can lock, nice for keeping wildlife at bay. Every site has your fire pit and picnic table, with the added feature of a BBQ grill. Bring cash so you can pay the site fees, which start at $10/night.

Gear Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products from time to time - today I am testing new(er) flavors from Mountain House, Breakfast Skillet and Biscuits and Gravy. I've eaten a lot of Mountain House flavors over the years, and one thing remains constant - they make great freeze dried meals. The other constant is I'm always having them when I'm either backpacking, it's cold and raining, I'm starving, or all of those things at the same time because they're quick and easy to make and there's virtually no clean up. Campers and trippers know all food tastes better as you become more miserable, so while I love the food, I should really try one of these when it's nice and sunny outside.

Breakfast Skillet: 5 out of 5. Good ratio of egg, hash, and veggies. They even get you started with some salt and pepper spice taste to go with the chewy eggs and hash. Only thing missing was the taste of burnt skillet, which is probably a good thing. This meal was gone in no time.

Biscuits and Gravy: 4 out of 5. It's not the most appealing looking from the flavor Rolodex, but go with your gut and chow down. It's a little on the salty side, but it still fills you up. I do recommend taking the directions' advice and after a few minutes open up the package to stir around the contents. I thought shaking it in the bag would do, but some of the biscuit pieces are large and won't cook properly without the actual stirring from a fork/spoon.

Pro Tip: The bags seal really well, and when I'm cold I like to place them in my jacket or in my hands to help give me some warmth while it cooks.

Amazing bouldering opportunities for a novice and even for experienced!

My aunt and uncle live in Laramie, WY, just a short drive from Vedauwoo. Boy does that make me lucky! This park is great. The trail system isn't very extensive and people aren't the greatest about not leaving garbage up on the rocks, but if you have even the slightest ability to clime up some boulders it is worth a trip. The rocks are massive and if you climb up you are rewarded with some incredible views. It is said the rocks are millions of years old and years and years of rainfall on the rocks have smoothed and rounded them off. There are plenty of sites and picnic tables to break for lunch. Turtle Rock trail is really nice and about 2 hours with a family. This is my favorite park in that section of the state.

Near CO/WY border, great geology

If you’re driving up from Colorado Springs, etc. on the way to Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. this is a nice simple place (convenient to the highway) to stay to avoid being stuck in the car forever. The Medicine Bow National Forest deserves a dedicated trip of its own though! The main feature here is the rocks and there are a few trails that allow you to explore them. We saw moose scat and a (harmless) rat snake not far from the campground. Nice picnic tables to choose from. All the campsites we saw (and used) were fairly open but shady. The views from the campground are excellent. On the way in, stop at the information board and pick up a free paper map. This area, like many parks out west, have complex networks of dirt roads, letting you explore more and really feel like you’re in the backcountry.

Unique geology

There are easy and beautiful trails leading from campground to the main attraction, the rocks! Saw some deer, moose tracks, and a (not dangerous) snake.

Vedauwoo Campground

The cliffs and rocks here are lovely and there are some hiking trails. The campsites are pretty open and since there aren’t too many trees the tents seem really close together. Great views though so you don’t feel penned into some trees like at some camp sites. Not too far from Laramie or Cheyenne (or the Lone Tree) and a good place to stay for a few days if you’re exploring the Medicine Bow.

Vedauwoo

Nice campground, a little noise from highway 80. Sound really carries, can hear the climbers as they scale the rocks. The forest service says there aren't any moose here, but we saw a cow moose with two calves on a hike in the surrounding Medicine Bow National Forest. Tent sites have tent pads, campfire rings and picnic tables.

Amazing View

We were recommended by friends to stay here. So glad we did. Amazing view and great campground. We went hiking with the kids and explored the amazing types of plants that grow in the area. We got some wonderful pictures.

Vedauwoo Campground

These are free campsites along a dirt road. The road, at least when dry, is not hard to drive on. Quite a few pull-offs that serve as campsites. They do not have restrooms here or tables, most of the sites just have a fire ring made out of rocks. This is a really interesting area to explore though. Lots of cool rock formations, a little pond with a lot of aspens, and trails nearby. The only thing that I didn't like about this area was that you could tell a lot of people come out here just to party because of all of the trash left behind. Other than that I would recommend this area for camping.