We found a set of campsites in the "Upper Blaire" climbing area.
How to get there from US-30
- *Refer map provided in campground website link
- Approaching from the south: Take exit 329 for Vedauwoo Rd --> Turn left onto Vedauwoo Glen Rd --> Turn right onto Old US Hwy 30 E --> Drive 2.7 miles --> Turn right onto Blair-Wallis Rd / Forest Rd 705 --> Drive 3 miles --> Sharp right on Forest Rd 707 --> Drive 0.7 miles --> Turn right onto Forest Rd 707A then a few hundred feet turn right again onto Forest Rd 707AF --> drive to the end of the road a few hundred feet more and park.
- Approaching from the north: Take exit 323 for WY-210 toward Happy Jack Rd --> Turn left onto WY-210 E / Happy Jack Rd then shortly thereafter turn left again to stay on WY-210 E --> Drive for 6 miles --> Turn right onto Headquarters Rd / Forest Rd 707 --> In 0.3 miles turn right to stay on 707 --> drive 2.7 mi --> Turn left onto Forest Rd 707A --> Turn right in a few hundred feet onto Forest Rd 707AF--> drive to the end of the road a few hundred feet more and park.
These sites are primitive and have a nice secluded feeling. You cannot see or hear the highway from here. There was spotty cell service (we have T-mobile). There are no facilities here, but if you would like to access picnic tables or a vault toilet, the Blair Picnic Area is not far away: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbr/recarea/?recid=22894. Make sure to pack plenty of water, you can fill up at the Abraham Lincoln Memorial rest area.
If you want to do some rock climbing in the area, these sites are very convenient.
Some words of caution:
- there are cows roaming free in this area. You might find them blocking the road or next to your tent when you wake up (!)
- a lot of broken glass at the sites near the parking area
- there are many fell trees in the area, and it was very gusty when we were there, so make sure to check weather in advance to avoid strong winds that might bring trees down