About Gros Ventre Campground

A beautiful, private campground located just 9 miles from the town of Jackson, Gros Ventre Campground is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Over 300 individual sites vary from shaded below the cottonwoods, to sunny with the views, and it is an excellent option for anyone driving through the area, or hoping to find a place to stay without reservations. Individual tent and RV sites are $30/night and group sites for over 10 people are $35/night for registration plus $12/person/night. Sites with electrical hook up are $55/night. Pets are allowed.

The campground is on the banks of the Gros Ventre River, a favorite of local fly-fishermen. There are flushing toilets and cold, running water with shower facilities nearby. It is recommended that you arrive before 3PM to secure a campsite during the tourist season from mid-June to mid-August. The campground rarely fills outside of these times. Wildlife, including bears, are regular visitors to the campground, so it is very important to practice responsible wildlife camping practices. Clean dishes after every meal, lock all food and scented items in an approved bear-box or cannister, and never feed the wildlife, including birds and chipmunks. Summer temperatures can very widely, from the high nineties during the day, and close to freezing at night. Bring layers and warm sleeping bags no matter what the time of year to stay comfortable.

Nearby Jackson is a fun, western town with a long history of mining and cattle ranching. Make a dinner reservation for one of its renowned steakhouses, and be sure to check out the summer rodeo series. With Grand Teton National Park surrounding the campground, and Yellowstone National Park less than an hour away, Gros Ventre Campground is an excellent basecamp for anyone hoping to explore this iconic area of the Rocky Mountains.

National Park Service
Gros Ventre Campground is located in Wyoming
Directions
Heading north on US 26/89/191 from Jackson, drive 7 miles. Turn right (east) at Gros Ventre Junction onto the Gros Ventre River Road. Continue northeast 4.5 miles to the Gros Ventre Campground sign. Turn right (south) and enter the campground. Heading south on US 26/89/191 from Moose Junction, drive 5.5 miles. Turn left (east) at Gros Ventre Junction onto the Gros Ventre River Road. Continue northeast 4.5 miles to the Gros Ventre Campground sign. Turn right (south) and enter the campground.
45 Reviews of Gros Ventre Campground
Amazing Location

Beautiful campground located outside of Jackson, Wyoming. Perfect for day trips in and around the Grand Tetons. Lots of wild moose, bison and all types of other beautiful animals just do not approach them. $28 per night, first come first served $52 per night for RV ADA sites. Go see the Mountain Barn that's just up the road, stunning! The moose photo I took right by my campsite, amazing place.

Best view in America!

Of the eight National Parks I visited on my month long roadtrip, Grand Teton was my favorite. Gros Ventre is a great location to explore the park, particularly the southern half (Moose and Jackson, WY).

There is next to no privacy - the campground is in the middle of a few cottonwood trees and lots of scrub brush. Bathrooms were clean, staff was incredibly friendly.

Mormon Row is less than five minutes away by car if you want a great place to watch the sunrise! Craft beer could be found in Moose where there's a roof top bar.

Unbelievable

The sites are simply amazing. Once you enter the park you will be blown apart. The sites are pretty compact and is perfect for about 2 people. The site were about 25 dollars but is completely worth it even though it is small. No other park can beat this one and I would definitely come here again.

Perfectly fine

Gros Venture is the campground you stay at, when tenting, if everything else closer to the base of Teton is booked or if you care about Jackson Hole. It's perfectly functionable, nothing special, can't see the park or mountains unless you walk to the front of the campground. In other words, it works but not the most scenic or close to the hiking action.

Small, crowded, paved road camp sites

Convenient for location in park. Keep food stored properly from animals and bears. Store, RV sites. I was tent camping.

Park is Gorgeous, Campground Alright

The Tetons are a gorgeous park! The Gros Ventre Campground has nice services but is a relatively small area with a lot of sites crammed in, offering little privacy or quiet.

Best place I have ever camped!

The Grand Teton National Park in WY is incredible. If you ever visit Wyoming and want to camp, you should definitely think about staying here- or at least come to just see the park. The Grand Teton Park is located in near the town of Jackson, and the views and mountains that you see are pretty awesome. I love living in Wyoming because it feels like I am surrounded by mountains, and there are a lot of great camping spots nearby. The campground is the best campground I have ever stayed at because it is so clean and there are so many outdoor activities you can do. The campground is also pretty large, there are over 300 campsites- this makes it nice because you don't feel like you are camping right next to someone, and you have room between campsites. When I stayed with some friends we were able to get a pretty awesome spot right next to the river-Gros Ventre River. My group and I also really appreciated the things that were included in each campsite. There was a nice picnic table and fire pit. We definitely used both of these every night. We also got really lucky because there was a restroom not to far away- within walking distance. I thought these bathrooms were pretty well kept, and they weren't just potter potties, they actually were restrooms that have toilets that flushed! That is always a nice added bonus!! They don't offer showers on their facilities, but we just used the river to wash off- however there is a place nearby that you can go to shower, but you do have to pay a fee. I know the people who camped next to us used this and they said it wasn't too far away. One thing that I loved was the view of the Grand Teton Mountain in the morning. My friends and I used our hammocks and would sit in those in the morning, drank some coffee, had breakfast and just enjoyed the view. We did get to the campground a little later then we had hoped- we wanted a spot next to Jenny Lake, but apparently those spots fill up very fast. Our spot was still nice, but it was closer to the road so we did hear some of the traffic at night. If you want a good spot, I would advise to go early. We did see some wildlife- we took some walks throughout the day and saw some deer, lots of birds and chipmunks! A couple that we ran into said they saw a moose earlier in the morning. This place is pretty awesome, and I would recommend staying here!

Buck Mountain Climb

This experience was my first to Wyoming and the first glimpse of the beautiful Tetons! I did a climb with Summit for Someone (SFS), to raise money for underprivileged city youth. SFS raises money via donations to get these kids out in the mountains to experience the great outdoors where it's possible, without this opportunity, that they would never get to experience it.

On the climb up to Buck Mountain, we camped off trail remotely. The area was great with a TON of huckleberries all around us. I would definitely be sure to have some bear spray while camping there. We had great views and an easy route up to the summit that morning.

Convenient to Jackson Hole & Grand Tetons

Gros Ventre is a great location if you want to visit both Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons and camp somewhere convenient in between. As a big campground south of the main entrance to the NP, the sites here don't seem to fill up as quickly as the sites at more popular deep in the park campgrounds like Jenny Lake.

If you get a spot along the first row in any of the loops, you can set up your tent with a great Tetons view. Staff in the ranger station were friendly, and because it is a big park, you can use a credit card to pay for your site. Some sites have more privacy than others. If you know what you really want (view, privacy, near toilet) ask when you check in.

Sites had standard picnic table, bear box, and fire ring, and toilets were easily accessible within each camping loop. You're not far from Jackson if you want to visit the town.

The campground is very accessible to the Mormon Road and the most photographed barns in front of the Teton sunrise/sunset. It's also a great location for cycling. There are some nearby hikes, but the better hikes are just a quick drive into the actual NP.

Gros Ventre campground

Gros Ventre is close to the southern end of Grand Teton National Park entrance. It's a large mixed use campground with lots of RV and tent sites. They get busy as do all of the campgrounds in or near the park, so get there early to get a site. Even getting there at 11am, we got stuck pitching the tent on an RV loop. Sites all had fire pits and picnic tables and were level. The campground is next to the Gros Ventre River and across the street from Antelope Flats. We were duly warned about bears and food storage (keep your cooler in the car), and bison have been known to wander into the campground in the past. No showers on site, but you can visit one of the other park campgrounds or just drive into Jackson and go to the Recreation Center. For less than $10 you get a day pass that gives you access to the showers, pool, etc.