Yacolt, WASHINGTON

Most Recent Yacolt Camping Reviews
Free and Secluded

This dispersed camping is free, huge bonus in my book. While searching for our perfect spot we did come across a few large parties, making us apprehensive that we would experience our ideal peaceful experience, but we were wrong to be. There were dozens of open sites that we had our pick of. A handful of cars drove by throughout the evening and night, but not an outrageous amount. Pretty dang good for very accessible NF camping spots. There are a good deal of trailheads near by, meaning you're never too far from a pit toilet or a bulletin board with information.

We visited in early September and found the weather to be very pleasant. Our view of Mt. St Helen's was obscured by the tall trees that offered our site seclusion and privacy, but we relished the view of the active volcano while driving to and from our site.

Love this campsite! Only downside is water is difficult to access

I love this site, it's never crowded! Been here 3 times and it's only ever half filled. Only downside is only being able to access the river by the site that is furthest East. We were able to go down this way since there was no one camping there. Sites are a little crammed, if you have a direct neighbor, they might be kind of close.

HIKER/BIKER Site

I was so excited to find a camping spot that was close enough to bike to. The hiker/biker sites are first come first serve, which was a little nerve wrecking.. We went late April though, to better our chances of finding a spot. We did and there was only one other person there. Though the way the site is set up… there's only one table and one firepit. So you have to be willing to talk to people. Unfortunately, we did not enjoy having to converse with a random man all night…..

Float Trip

One of my favorite things to do when the weather warms up is to float. I enjoy the Clackamas River. We sometimes start at Barton Park after lunch. It's lovely all around! Clean and lots of space.

Riverside Beaut

Stayed here a couple times, and I’m sure I’ll be back again. We‘ve snagged “Oak” campsite both times we stayed here, and I can’t imagine a better spot. Super private, sits 10 feet below the campground road so you feel hidden. It’s also huge, and it has its own little trail that leads you down to the river. Sites have picnic tables and fire rings with a built-in cooking/grill spot. I’m not an RVer, but I saw there were water/utility hookups available, as well as garbage dumps. Highly recommended campground for people in the Hood River area.

Great for our big group!

We stay every year in May when when do our annual St. Helens climb. Nice bathrooms with wonderful shower, which we love after the climb. Close to a great restaurant, a bar, a gas station, trails, Yale lake, etc. The new owners are super friends and have done a lot of work on the property to add more sites. I always enjoy my stay there.

Wonderful

We went during the week because the weekends are too insanely busy. Loved our walk-in camp spot, had a fabulous time. Our site had easy access to the lake. Vault toilets were very clean. Good hikes nearby. Lots of people enjoying the lake.

Nice Size Spaces For Larger Groups Wanting To Explore

This campground is a very nice one to check out when adventuring in the lower portion of Washington.    Much like its single site counterpart the options offered at this campsite are well thought and well placed.    I noticed that the campground itself was very well maintained and offered many features including water spigots in common areas, clear walking paths to facilities and ample parking for the campers.

Each site was equipped with standard features including fire rings and picnic tables.  But the real advantage to this location in particular is its proximity to some of the more lengthy trails in the park.

Initially I was a bit confused as to where the camp was, my cell signal was weak and I could not seem to find the campground until I finally gave up and just decided to go on a hike first.    In doing so I was able to navigate to higher ground closer to the Beacon Rock and from there I pulled up a map to locate.    My suggestion is with AT&T to have an offline map loaded when traveling to this area.    While some areas do feature great signal others are more spotty like this one.

The campground was filled with campers and I spoke to a ranger when visiting who mentioned that group sites typically book in advance on weekends but can be more easily picked up on the fly during weekdays from Monday to Thursday with Tuesdays and Wednesdays being the optimum day for last minute travelers to the area.

Sites here can be a bit costly depending on the group size, but the additional offering the camp provides is the ability to rent all sites for those needing a large group. This must be done well in advance but can offer many benefits for larger groups. Much like other state facilities in Washington you will need to display your Discover Pass on each vehicle parked on property. One pass does not cover multiple cars upon a single use.

No-frills RV Park with Lots of Long-Timers

No frills RV-only park near Troutdale. Many RV pads are cracked and uneven. Location is right next door to a saloon and also has frequent police visits.

Weekly and monthly rates available. Daily rate not too expensive. Many if not most of the residents are long-timers.

Bathrooms, laundry facilities on-site. Not overly impressed, but in need of a spot at the mouth of the Gorge, you could do worse.

State Park in the Gorge near road

Ainsworth State Park is a gorgeous state park in the heart of the Gorge with great hikes and views of the Columbia river, all not far from Portland. The campsites, however, are located right next to the History Columbia River Highway, making for loud camping experience, though you are near all the great park activities. And when I say close, I mean you can see the highway from your tent.

Its location near Portland makes it very popular, and it is often full. Restrooms and showers available.