Equestrian
About Bear Creek Lake State Park
Bear Creek Lake State Park is located in Virginia
12 Reviews of Bear Creek Lake State Park
Overnight

We came here because it’s about an hour-and-a-half from home, perfect for an overnight. The photo on the website of our particular site was very deceptive. It looked way more secluded and wooded than it actually was, but it was decent.

Acorn Loop has lake-front sites that I would highly recommend. Sites 4-12 are the best, with #11 being the best best: it’s right on the water but also kind of tucked away a bit. #13 is smack in the middle of the loop, I personally wouldn’t want that site. The sites at the top of the hill, A1, A2, A3, and A15 are right on the road, but there wasn’t much traffic in this particular loop, so it didn’t bother us. A1, A2, and A3 will have people walking by a lot for the bathhouses. I don’t think every loop has one.

The lake itself is very pretty, 40 acres and manmade. We brought innertubes and just floated but we saw people fishing, kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddle boarding, and paddle boating. There were lots of people fishing, and someone got a catfish and kept it for dinner. 🎣

We drove around and checked out the cabin sites. These cabins are HUGE and really beautiful. They look like they could accommodate over 12 people. There’s also a meeting space/hall that you can book…. would be a great place for reunions, receptions, etc.

Primus CampFire Pot S/S 3L

Last month I received a $50 gift card to Primus Stoves (thanks to Dyrt!) and I got myself this pretty little pot. It’s the 3L stainless steel pot/colander and is a perfect addition to my camping bag 🥣 The handle locks in place which is awesome, especially when you are stashing leftovers in the cooler. It’s also designed to be suspended if needed.

Tonight we made a one-pot meal: spicy chorizo from Pink House Farm, rice and onions, and seasonal veggies (okra, pattypan squash, tomatoes, green peppers) from Phantom Hill Farm.

Beautiful Bear Creek Lake!

We had a fun camping trip at Bear Creek Lake! We chose a reservable waterview site (#18) and I'm glad we got the one we did! It is not directly on the water, there is a fence around the site and then a short walk to the water. I'm glad we had the beautiful view of the lake while camping, but didn't have to stress about the kids getting in the water the whole time. Note that there is a hiking trail and fishing spot right behind the fence, so people were walking by all the time, but it wasn't too disruptive. The bathrooms are about a 2 minute walk from the site. There is a shortcut through the woods across the street.

There is a great swimming area with a little kids area that was so fun! We did a hike around the whole lake, lots of great views. Looks like it would be awesome for fishing as well!

Just worth a mention that my kids came back with poison ivy everywhere, so watch out for that!

Nice quiet camping

The sites were close together but a few sites are worth it right on the water. It had a good weekend program for the family. The beach personnel were great and helpful. Lots of bugs. Even with bug spray. Fishing was not bad. Caught my first ever catfish.

Off the Beaten Path

Glamping in rural VA, I did not expect to find an uncrowded state park over the July 4th weekend. The trails were marked once you got on one, not all were visible as trails. With that being said my pup and I took several paths not walked often without another soul or human sound. I did walk past a ranger and friendly. I do believe we walked over 3 miles with navigating around. Parking for day use is not posted, or I didn’t see it. I parked at a spot by the entrance to the cabins. It was so pretty and peaceful.

Beautiful park!

Bear Creek Lake is a bit off the beaten path which was one of the things I really loved about it. My kids and I camped in a tent on the Chestnut Loop, which was well shaded by trees and the bathrooms were incredibly clean. The sites are a little close to each other for my taste, but everything else was so nice I didn't let it bother me.

The lake itself is smallish, but the scenery is beautiful. We rented kayaks and the staff were all very nice and helpful. There is a small beach area for swimming, but I'm not a fan of swimming in lakes myself so I skipped visiting that area. Instead we hiked the very scenic trails around the lake, which are well marked for the most part.

In all, this was a very nice park to visit for camping, hiking and kayaking. I imagine I'll be returning again in the future.

Awesome campground!

It's a beautiful campground! It's spacious and the view is amazing no matter where you are. I recommend this place it's a family favorite for me!

Perfect setting

We loved this place! It was a small quiet campground with easy hiking trails, a small lake and some friendly bears poking around in the camp office. The sites were pretty close together. I prefer a more serene camp site with less people so unless we find a secluded spot here we might not return. I do recommend for families and there is a great spot for group camping with about 8 sites in a circle.

Gina

Weekend getaway

This was our first time camping at state park with our dogs and it has been great. We were able to score a campsite with a view of the lake and easy access to the Channel Cat Loop trail. Our tent pad was covered in rubber pieces which made for a comfortable base for our tent, and the separate area with fire pit, picnic table and pattern hooks was awesome. Another couple joined us and there was plenty of room for all four people and three dogs to spread out. Fell even more in love when majority of campsites left on Sunday, leaving peace and quiet all around. Bonus is having the dog only section at the swimming beach, which made for a fun afternoon with our pups.

We had a great time here

Asusual, the state parks are the way to go