Forest Hills Estates , VIRGINIA

Most Recent Forest Hills Estates Camping Reviews
Large, level and well spaced.

Some of the largest sites we’ve ever seen in a state park. I don’t believe there is a bad site in the park. We had rabbits grazing at our site too. Shenandoah NP is about a 10 mile drive away.

A great escape from the DC area.

We camped here in early April 2021. The first weekend open of the season. This is a smaller campground, only 34 sites, but it had all you needed. Only an hour from the DC area. Sites were generous, and equipped with a good fire pit, and space for parking two cars at our site (12). The parking/tent site was gravel. Picnic table was large and there were two places to hang a lantern. 12/13 were electric sites and water access for the area was right in front of 13. Our friends had a rather large trailer (30 ft) and it "just fit" on site 13. There was a walking path to the bathhouse between 13 and 14. Sites 8-11 were on a nice open field, with some smaller trees. There are lots of trails in the area, though we didn't explore too many on this trip. Bathhouse was simple, but effective with steamy, hot water! People were good about keeping their space in this COVID era (signs for masks for the bathroom, but I never was in there with anyone other than my own family). It was so very cold the first night we were there (25!). We took advantage of our electric site and used a small space heater to take the edge off of that night! Park attendants were the most attentive I have ever seen, making their rounds every 30 min or so. You can hear (when its quiet) the low hum of noise from a nearby road, but I didn't find it troubling. Overall this is a great, easy to sneak away to spot for those of us close to DC.

Beautiful Campground but Busy on weekends

This is our local go-to campground. Anytime we want to get away easily we visit Greenbrier. It has 4 loops near a small lake with swimming and boat launch. Great for kayaking& fishing with kids. There is a dog loop and an RV loop. Sits right off the Appalachian Trail. I think that they have a hiker pick up service.. as I've seen the rangers drop off backpackers into campgrounds. The lake& picnic area is crazy busy during the weekends. I do not camp on weekends here. Which is what gives it a 3 star. I find that the people ruin camping with lack of campground etiquette. But the campground hosts are quick to clean sites. and the park staff are wonderful. Fall time is gorgeous& quiet as well.

Love Prince William Forest

Camped here the first weekend it was open in 2021. Nice campground Bathrooms are clean. Lots of hiking trails.

It’s a no from me.

This place was $30 just to enter and it was super duper packed. We turned around and found a great boondocking site nearby.

Simple Adventure

Everything at the park is laid out pretty clearly and straight forward enough so you shouldn't have too many issues. Make sure to have cash to simplify paying for things such as firewood (you can pay upfront).

There are camp toilets with toilet paper and hand sanitizer near the Red 1 tent site (not sure if there are others) which were clean enough. The trails are beautiful and I'm sure there was more to do, but didn't have a chance to see. Definitely a reason to return!

Too bad I had to leave

Loved it! I’d love to spend a week here some time. There is no bad site in this campground. Immaculate upkeep. Lots of walking and hiking trails. Verizon has no signal at all, but AT&T was fine. Clean bathrooms, large showers, dump station. Water and electric on site but no sewer connection. Large campsites with picnic table and fire ring.

My go to spot

This is one of the best camp grounds in the DC area! There are 9 separate sites in Turkey Run with two bathroom facilities for all 9 sites. There are no showers but campers and staff tent to keep the rest rooms clean.

I have seen a lot of Boy Scout troops use the site year round but it’s also great for families and small groups of friends.

From the site you have access to several hiking trails and you can ride your bike on the Main Street.

There is a $20 entrance fee into the park and the campground is close to Dumpfries, VA where you can pick up all sorts of supplies.

Amazing Campground!!!

My boyfriend and I stayed at this campground in March of 2021. We went to the area to visit Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park.

We stayed in site #11. The sites weren't right on top of each other, but you could definitely see other sites across the road. There were a few that caught my eye for future trips, but this one was lovely enough!!

This is a small campground, which made it feel very homey. All of the campers were so friendly. The camp host was also a joy! Always had a smile on his face. Most of the sites are 60' long and very spacious!!

Dogs are welcomed with open arms at this campsite!! My two doggos had a great time. Just be careful!! One of mine ended up with a thorn in his foot pad.

Will definitely return to this campground in the future!

AT stop with showers

Backpacker campground with bathrooms and showers. Close to the South Mountain Inn, a hiker friendly restaurant. Big field.