Water Unknown
About Capitol Reef National Park Dispersed Camping
National Park Service
Hike In
Capitol Reef National Park Dispersed Camping is located in Capitol Reef National Park in Utah
11 Reviews of Capitol Reef National Park Dispersed Camping
Good camp area

Go slow or you'll miss the entrance, it's not marked. Entrance and exit have rocks you need to navigate around but don't let that worry you. I spent a night there in May 2019. Contrary to other posts here, it does have 2 porta-potties. Temps drop quickly, it may be a bit windy, but the views we're excellent. It rained the day we got here and the morning we left. The ground gets a little muddy but no worries. Plenty of large sites as well as hidden sites and tent sites. Quite a few dogs were there, all well behaved. It's a clean area. My only not pick was that people in larger RVs didn't respect your space, parking 20 feet away when there were 5 or 6 very large spaces available. Seemed like their intent was to piss you off so you would leave. We did when the RV that was 20 feet away pulled out 2 generators.

Free camping, beautiful scenery. Is this heaven?

We were not planning on going to Capitol Reef on our Utah trip but we got some unexpected snow at Canyonlands so we headed out early. So glad we made the trip! Capitol Reef had lots of wildlife like Deer and Bighorn Sheep and petroglyphs that were really cool to hike to and see.

Me made a stop at Goblin Valley State Park so we arrived to Capitol Reef a bit later than we would have liked. All the standard campgrounds were full but the ranger at the visitor center told us to head out of the park towards the town of Torrey and almost immediately on our right there was free BLM camping land.

Totally free, no amenities, but what a beautiful night!! It was cold! But so quiet even though we had many neighbors on their own Utah adventures. Our neighbors were a single girl in a truck and cab over camper from Alaska, and a couple in a blue school bus. Quite the assortment. Obviously, a variety of vehicles will make it our there.

No toilet, leave no trace, no fires. Totally a park, sleep, and go spot. There is so much to see and do in Utah, that is ok by me! We woke up, drove into Torrey, picked up a cup of coffee, and started hiking down Capitol Gulch with no one else around.

Great Dispersed Camping

Obviously no hookups for rvs and trailers but if you want to get out in nature, you'll love this area. Great views all around and generally, nice spots.

Back country

Llike quiet open space in the desert. Go camp in Capital reef!

Lower Muley Twist Canyon backpacking

My favorite backpacking trip this year. Rangers were great resources for picking this trail. We came in over the Burr Trail switchbacks and hiked down into the canyon from there. The whole thing is 18 miles round trip around and over the Waterpocket Fold, but we opted to leave the same way we came. We were the only ones around for miles! Beautiful scenery, towering cliffs, neat caves. Highly recommend

AMAZING

Wow! I love dispersed camping…especially in Utah. The red cliffs and astounding. It is pretty easy finding a nice place to make home right outside of the park. Most of the roads aren't paved when you leave the highway to find a spot, but I drive a Corolla and it wasn't a problem. Camping out here was an amazing experience. The stars at night are incredible!! I've never seen so many--there's hardly any light pollution. There were a few other people camping nearby but overall it was relatively isolated and quiet which was nice. The park was only a few minutes away and fun to explore during the day. I would highly recommend camping this way here! It's amazing.

Hilltop with 360 degree views of the landscape

When the Fruita campground is full an alternative is to camp for free on BLM land. We chose a spot 9 miles East of the historic district. As you approach the park heading West on UT24 turn left onto Notom Bullfrog Road. The first pullout in the left has several areas to park, some with rock fire rings. We chose the highest hilltop and pointed our window SW for the expansive view of the water pocket fold. For restrooms we used the NPS orientation point vault toilets located on the corner of UT24 and Notom Bullfrog Road, just a few seconds drive.

Utah never ceases to amaze me

After exploring capital reef for the day we ended up here a bit late. We camped at Cathedral Valley the night before and liked this even more. It was even more remote. I know this is a repeating theme but no amenities = the best. Theres nothing out here.

Camping is wonderful. The night sky is amazing. The hiking in Capital Reef is so much fun and the carvings in the stone from early travelers very cool. Very cool October. Stay warm and enjoy!

Utah never ceases to mazes me

We love dispersed camping...

During our stay here, we were on a budget and looking for dispursed camping locations. The nights were cold in late Oct, so we ended up sleeping in our car at this location.

Amazing views. Great skies! No amenities, but you can wake up in the morning and easily start your adventure!

OCT had great colors… but no fruit in the orchards :(