The best DRIVE IN camping near
Westel , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Westel Camping Reviews
Wonderful park, great campground, can’t say enough good things ...

Well maintained, large campground. Plenty of bathroom/shower facilities located around the campground; clean and functional. Lots of good hiking nearby, as well as other outdoor activities (that I didn’t do). Informative visitor’s center with helpful rangers onsite (even on weekends). Great history lessons about the Big South Fork area, interpretive hikes (which I did do) and fair warning about the ticks.

Beautiful park

Nice campground, wide variety of campsites, most of them level. Decent bathhouse/facilities, clean and adequate for the number of folks using them. Nice hiking trails. I didn’t use the other amenities offered at the park and I missed the visitor center being open. The camp store was also closed, but I believe it’s either closed for COVID or just hasn’t opened for the season.

Nice campground with beautiful hike to waterfall!

My partner and I headed to nearby Chilhowie Campground in the Cherokee National Forest last year to try out our new teardrop camper.  We chose site 1 in the A Loop as it had shore power. The site was not level and actually had quite an incline which was slightly challenging to level on the sandy pad.   The site itself was nice and roomy.  There were some lovely trees for us to set up our Eno hammock.  The site is right next to the entrance so there was heavy traffic and noise traveling in and out of the campground. This is obviously not highly desirable as it always seems to be available during high demand weekends.   We are going back this summer after selecting another site.

One of the most spectacular things about this campsite is the accessibility to hiking trails including the fairly easy trail to McKemy Lake and Benton Falls.  McKemy Lake has a nice sandy beach and allows non-motorized boats.  We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Benton Falls. Though it was fairly busy, people were respectful and mindful of space.

Really looking forward to go back to this treasure!

Beautiful spot

While this campground is beautiful, the gate is still closed for the season. Website says it will open mid-April, so should be available soon!

Awesome stay and great hospitality at Freedom Hills

Had such a good time here. Chad, the owner, was incredibly nice and a great host, helping us with whatever we needed. He runs Freedom Hills as a non-profit with a vision to bring climbers and the community together as well as helping those in need. His passion to benefit the community has certainly convinced me this will be my regular campground for the Obed.

Top 10 TN Campground

If you've never visited this campground, just go ahead and put it on your list.

I had never visited the area before and didn't know what to expect. It's a small state park close to Big South Fork.

We stayed in site A21. It's one of the bigger sites and it's off to itself. Probably the only negative I have to say about this campground is that the site wasn't level. I spoke with the friendly staff at the visitor center and she explained that they had recently leveled all the sites, but the rain over the week prior (5.5") had just washed the dirt away. We had friends join us that tent camped in a level spot on the site. So it could totally work for that! The site had water and electric and was close enough to the bathrooms to see it from the site, but not smell it.

The trails though…. oh my goodness, the trails. We stayed 2 nights, so we dedicated 1 day to Pickett and 1 to Big South Fork. 1 day for each was just not enough.

On Saturday, it rained off and on until late afternoon. We were aware of the weather and packed our rain gear. We hiked to the natural bridge and it did not disappoint!! From there, we hiked to hazard cave. The Hike had so much to see!!! We did get a little confused thinking that the cave was a Rockhouse (my boyfriend got confused anyway…) so we hiked on. If you have the time, I do suggest hiking on. There's a lot of cool rock walls and formations to see! Once we got back to the parking lot, we crossed the street and hiked to the Indian Rockhouse, which was also amazing!!! We did all of these in just a few hours. After that, we made our way back to camp for dinner. The site had a fire ring with a grill grate as well as a standalone grill. After it got dark, we made our way to the astronomy field. I've never seen so many stars in my life!!!! It was breathtaking!!!

The next day, we made our way to Big South Fork. We hiked to the Needle Arch and Slave Falls on the same trail. Both were spectacular!! That trail was my favorite of the visit and with an the rain from Saturday, the fall had a good flow. From there, we made our way to the Twin Arches trailhead, which is another phenomenal trail.

I cannot say enough good things about this trip. If you like hiking and seeing awesome things, this is the spot for you!!

Top 10 TN Campground

If you've never visited this campground, just go ahead and put it on your list.

A great spot!

I have stayed here multiple times and Kelli and Wayne (the owners) never disappoint. Everything about the spot is great and they have pretty much everything you would need (except alcohol as the county is dry, so bring your own). Great location and great food! This is my go to spot when out riding.

Must do!

This is a huge state park!  It seems overwhelming and crowded at first.  The campgrounds are massive, but the campsites are spread out just enough to make you feel like you are in a small campground.  Do some hiking!!!!  After a short hike away from the roads and you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.  The views are spectacular!  We were there in April where the weather was perfect!

A+

An all around great campground!!!!!

This is a terrific campground in the Cherokee Natl Forest.   Sites have electricity.   Water is accessible to fill tank before you park a camper.  The trails were wide and clean.