The best WALK IN camping near
Coalfield , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Coalfield Camping Reviews
OMG! O

We stayed for a few days and as a backpacker, the local hikes are some of the best I have ever seen! I would say most of the hikes are moderate, although some say easy. Grandma couldn’t leisurely walk, or scale some of the trails, so you have been warned. But for able bodied persons, the hikes are all doable. There are quite the variety of hike lengths to choose from, from short and squatty, to full day hikes. I’ll submit some of my favorite shots below. For RVs - I was towing a 21 ft trailer and my site at the bottom of the hill, which was away from other campers, but the grade was ridiculous! I had 6” of block height to level side to side! I heard other complaints from other longer tongue pullers as well, regarding the difficulty getting into their sites. Most of the sites are small, too close to other campers, or too close to the smell of the privies. But if you are hiking the area, I think the stay could be worth some of the hassle. There is a pull through dump station on the loop. There is electric and water. Tent campers - probably have plenty of room to spread out, some with power hookups and the convenience of showers at a central bathhouse. Daytime picnics - a beautifully large area to choose from and see. Lots of selections, all of them very well social distanced, family friendly and shaded with trees. Soooo much to see.

Sufficient

Super nice employees. Campsites very close together.  We had to move from the first because on either side there was no room for our slide outs.  We were very close to I 40 and the road noise was extremely loud…all day and all night.  I probably wouldn't stay again only because of the road noise.

First time Staying at a KOA

We picked this stop because it was a halfway point from our trip in Georgia to home in Ohio and it was easy off and on 75. It’s a small campground with only 37 rv sites, a primitive camping section and several small cabins. They offer a pool, dog park, laundry and game room.

It’s very clean and the staff was nice. We got here after hours and they had everything we needed at the check in with our names, site number and directions to our site. They also offer WiFi and cable tv.

There is not much to do in the park itself but it’s quite and close to town.

Well-maintained, quiet, restful.

Tight quarters, flat site, water and 30a electric but a delightful setting on the lake. Note a few late night train whistles and nearby highway traffic noise. JIC in case it matters to students or remote workers, there is ~no campground internet connectivity; you’ll need to walk up toward park ranger office.

Lots of Wildlife

The campground is right off loop road. Spots are a little close, and not very private, but you cant beat the location in the park. We saw 3 bears, a red wolf, and numerous dear and elk during our stay.

Nice Spot

Inside the state park lies this small campground. The views of the mountains are beautiful. Paved paths to walk through the park.. also we found a small hike nearby, triple falls. A beautiful little hike to check out. All the spots are gravel but it’s very clean and well kept. Very family and pet friendly place! Didn’t have them with me this time, but looked like a great spot to put in your small boat or kayak and fish!!

Beautiful Area

This campsite was a lot closer to town than expected. The campsites themselves were very clean and well kept. Beautiful views. It’s also a public park area, so there was some through traffic, but they’re not supposed to come through the campground. We overall really enjoyed this place and would visit again anytime of the year. Very pet friendly!!

Very nice people and staff

It’s only our third RV park, but I I can see why people like to drycamp/boondock. The sites are very tight, quite close together. The neighbor woke me at 2:00am going in and out of his RV just from the door closing. Across the highway is a helicopter tour company and it runs all day long, very noisy. On the positive side, the staff is amazing and so accommodating. We needed help since it was our first back in site. Scott was wonderful!!! He guided us in and got us leveled and ready to enjoy our stay. It had rained heavily the day before so the ground was very soft and one side of our rig kept sinking. He ran off to get a piece of wood that did the job to keep our tires from sinking so we could get level. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. We back up to the river which is wonderfully peaceful. I guess there will be pros and cons to every park. The only reason we won’t be back is because we saw what we wanted to see here, and have along bucket list of other places to explore.

Compact place

This campground had about 10 sites all very close together except site #1 which was right near the main parking lot the volt toilets stunk bad worse one I’ve been in we stayed for 2 nights and it wasn’t cleaned at all the iron bridge was pretty though!

Not Disappeared camping

My boyfriend and I spent one night there in the flat fork tent campsite where we were only separated by a tiny fence from both people on each side no privacy whatsoever we spent the whole night hearing the father yell at his son maybe 5 feet away the other sites in the loop (closer to the office) were even closer together don’t go here if you like the get away from people because you can’t! Also people had no problem walking through our site!