Black Lick, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Black Lick Camping Reviews
Great! But under construction

This is a really great park. I been here multiple times through the years. There is a lot of fun trails to go on. Which you can view the water falls and river. The welcome center is very hands on. But there was a lot of construction when I was there. I recommend going in the summertime. When it’s warmer you can go down the natural waterslide and swim in the river.

Awesome fall camping

Site number 12 is a pull thru that was very easy to level with a great are for my 2 year old granddaughter to enjoy. Bathhouse was very clean with hot water shower.

Nice Pennsylvania State Park

Very large park with a variety of campsites ranging from tent, 20/30 amp, 50 amp, and yurts. Price is the same for all electric sites, regardless of amperage. There is a 40-foot maximum vehicle length allowed in the campground– not a problem for our 17-foot van but the staffer who checked us in remarked that many people come in with larger rigs trying to squeeze in and are unable to. We had no problem securing a site with no reservation on a Monday evening after Labor Day. Very close to two Frank Lloyd Wright properties– Kentuck Knob and the more widely known Falling Waters. Other things to do in or near the park include whitewater rafting, rail trail biking, hiking, zip-lining and touring Laurel Caverns. The nearby town of Ohiopyle has many outfitters and several restaurants. The sites are all located on roads leading off the main road; we stayed in a 20/30amp site on Cherry Road (Site 49). It was right next to the bathroom which was good and bad. Good for proximity but bad because we could hear the hum quite clearly. Also, the door to the women’s room would hit you in the rear quite forcefully unless you held onto it (it took me three times to remember to do this)! There was a dishwashing sink in the women’s room (and I’m assuming in the men’s room?); it was very clean, but the only downside was having to do the dishes by myself! Alcohol is prohibited. Only certain areas allow pets. Only one garbage/recycling station outside of the campground. Wood and ice are available 24/7 on the honor system– very nice not to have to wait until a host is on duty to get what you need. Quiet hours 9 pm-8 am, a bit longer than most campgrounds but except for some sites with campfires still burning with people talking, it was very quiet in this campground. Surprisingly strong cell signal for being deep in the woods.

Nice quiet campground

Nice quiet campground. Lots of room, fishing lake and pool. Not a ton of activities but would recommend.

Family friendly

I grew up near this park so I’m a little used to it, however, it’s perfect for families. Good trails, kayak rentals, and a private beach for the campgrounds make it a nice vacation spot. I had a good time.

Quiet well maintained

Owners and seasonal campers are friendly. We camped here 3 times this summer. We’re going to masquerade ball in October. Large sites, nice restrooms, big hall, pool, lake to canoe, boat & fish. They have a small cafe for breakfast and lunch. You can rent the hall for parties and weddings. You can get married at the gazebo. They have activities on weekends. Like the bingo here. Keystone Lake close to campground to go boating. Short drive to Smicksburg to shop. You may hear the horse drawn buggies of the Amish who keep their boats here. No charge for golf carts. Senior discount for sites. We invited friends who like it here and invited others. Would recommend!

Laurel Hill State Park

Stayed:  09/21/19

Site: 222 (Non-electric)

Price:  $35

Pros:  Clean facilities, Huge park, $5 firewood, Seven Springs Downhill Bike Park

Cons:  Site was backed up to road, be aware for noise.

Great place to camp with an ATV

ATV friendly.  Trails close by. Several fishing ponds.  Close to laurel highland area attractions.

So much to do!

This Yogi Bear campground offers a large waterpark area,  large pool,  monster truck rides and many activities. You don't have to leave to find something to do, but there are also many local attractions as well. Kids love it here. Highly recommend.

Great Location

Nearby all the local attractions that laurel highlands has to offer….Youghiogheny River,  Frank Loyd Wright house, Living Treasures Animal Park,  Seven Springs,  Hidden Valley,  etc..

Indoor and outdoor pools are great.

Bingo is taken seriously here…DO NOT talk at ALL. Lol

Local Attractions are great!

Laurel Highlands campland is in a terrific location for all the local attractions. The youghiogheny river,  living treasures animal park, seven springs, hidden valley,  Frank Loyd Wright house,  etc.

The outdoor pool is large and the indoor pool is great for those rainy days.

Bingo here is SERIOUS. you will get yelled at if you talk at all. Lol.

More of an RV park than a campground

Named after the disastrous 1889 Johnstown Flood, this park is at the site of the dam that burst. I need to remember that my definition of a campground is different than what others think of as a campground; this is more of an RV Park. There are ten sites located on a large gravel lot and would definitely not be suitable for tents. There are five sites on either side of the large lot. All have full hook-ups for a very reasonable price ($25 cash or check only). The biggest plus to this campground is the host, Wayne. He immediately greeted us as we arrived and spent time orienting us to the campground and the area, as he is a lifelong resident of the area. He even offered to give us some firewood but when we returned from dinner, it was raining. He showed us that the restrooms were located across the street. Although they were unlocked, when we went to use them at night, we discovered the water had been turned off! It was too late to let Wayne know but he was very surprised to learn this the next morning; he had no idea who had turned the water off. The other downside is the VERY loud coal train which woke us up at just after 5 am. Normally for the restroom issue and loud trains, I would give this two stars but Wayne was very welcoming and apologetic about the restroom issue. This is not our typical type of campground, but we chose it for its proximity to the Johnstown Flood Memorial which is about a mile from the campground. If you are at all interested in the history of Johnstown, this is a must-visit. There is also a museum in the city of Johnstown, about 12 miles away.

Great peaceful campground

Just got back from a weekend stay here and it was great. If you like camping to be quiet, peaceful and simple, then you'll love this little campground. We stayed at a tent site, site #11. This campground isn't one of those busy, overcrowded, commercialized campgrounds, and that's why my husband and I loved it! The sites are a little close together but since it's so small, it's still very private. The bathrooms were clean and well kept, nothing fancy, but camping isn't about fancy accommodations. They have a pool but it was closed for the season. The lady who checked us in was very nice and escorted us to our site, and made sure we were happy with it. There are a few permanent residents on the upper loop through the campground, and also a small little motel type apartment building with residents living in it, it is actually a part of the bath and shower house. The entire weekend had about 7 spots rented out, and it was super quiet and relaxing.

The only thing I can say about this campground that made me not give it 5 stars is, the highway noise. It's located right off the highway so the traffic noise is a little loud, so it takes away from the great sounds of camping, like the crickets, frogs and fire crackling. But all in all this was a great little find and my husband and I are already talking about going back.

Great First RV Trip

We decided to go here for our first RV trip as it is close to home for us. Great first experience! We stayed at site 43 in the Hillside Loop because we brought our 2 large dogs. Site was very private and relatively flat. We did not use the bathroom facilities but they seemed nice. There is a lot to do in the park and the fact that it is very close to home means we will back again!

Soooo spacious!

I was the only tenter at the time of my stay; had the whole place to myself. The sites are spread far apart and wooded. Table and fire rings are at each site. They have a brand new bath house which was spotless and a well kept dog park for the furs. If desired, there is a group campsite and the use of a pavilion too. The camp store if beautiful and has everything in it should you forget something. I’ll definitely be back.

Camping and boating at its best!

Absolutely love this campground. The lake is beautiful and they offer access to the lake with their boat ramp. Very peaceful and not far from rafting and other activities

Great campground

We stayed in the Red Oak section, site 113. The site was roomy enough, but next time I know to try to reserve on the outside perimeter for more room.

Dogs are permitted in this area of the campground and honestly they were all well behaved.

The bathhouse was a bit dated, but clean with a nice size dressing area within each of the 6 shower stalls. I believe there were 10 toilets as well. On the outside of the bathhouse were 2 sinks to do dishes.

The camp store was fairly priced, centrally located and they even delivered wood to your site.

The trails were nice, but I wish we had been given a better map to show where we could walk with our dog instead of discovering no dogs allowed when we arrived to certain areas.

We will definitely return.

Bizarre and Outdated

This campground is extremely outdated and run by an elderly couple who reside there. we stayed here because it was close to the Flight 93 memorial. The office is their home- she was very friendly once we were able to find her. At first we knocked- with no answer, so we picked a site ourselves. I believe most people who camp here stay all summer long. We had electric and water, but were unable to use the sewer (see pic). We decided not to use their facilities based on their outside appearance.

Quiet

Nice small campground. Water is available but not at every site. There is water at the dump station. Quiet and somewhat small. Not really any issues, really noisy neighbors on holiday weekend, but you kinda have to expect that. Bring everything you need, it’s about 30 minutes to some supplies. Make sure you bring firewood and be prepared for extremely limited cell service (Verizon).

Not resort

Average campground small hilly sites..cable and internet available when working. Private membership. No sewage

Wonderful weekend getaway

My family stayed in one of the cabins while friends were in their campers. The cabin was great, very clean and cozy. The campgrounds are very nice they have a pool as well as a community building and camp store. We had 8 kids and 8 adults who all had a blast playing on the playground, floating down the creek, swimming in the pool, riding bicycles etc. All in all we will definitely be returning

Very nice

This is the nicest campground for your money. Free WiFi, pool, a few small parks and a dog run. The camp store is super nice and well stocked. The spots are level and there’s a nice pond on the property. We really enjoyed the clear night sky’s and during the day you can watch cattle play on the hillside(no bad smells!) while looking out over the hills and mountains. The bathrooms weren’t as clean as they could be, but not bad. Definitely recommend if you’re ever going through. Not a lot of restaurants or stores nearby, so keep that in mind if you’ll be there awhile.

Good not great

Nice campground, fairly quiet, smaller campsites, roads going to campsites are rocky so be careful if you have a low car.

T’was a good time!

Went to Kentuck Campground with a group of 10 of my closest friends… definitely had an absolute great time. We stayed at sites 6 & 7 which was in a cul de sac and was perfect! However our second night(out of 3) a park ranger walked into our site at about 11:30pm complaining about the noise… however none of us were loud by any means, we were actually very quiet and heard our neighbors a ton within the nights we were there. Definitely do not bring alcohol (not allowed at all), we learned the hard way and got an alcohol citation and were then evicted the next morning at 11am and we ended up going to Green Ridge in Maryland. Absolutely loved the campground though, so beautiful with a ton of shade and space!

Excellent family campground

We've been camping here for years. They are family oriented and not looking for large/loud groups. They accommodate tents and RVs, and offer cabins. The staff is helpful and friendly, and so are most of the campers.

They even have entertainment and Saturday night was a fun DJ. The facilities are very clean.

We'd go back in a heartbeat.

Check in was easy and they had no problem with us arriving at almost 11pm.

They offer a game room, pool, mini golf, a full camp store, firewood, etc.

Our tent/RV site had water and electric.

Bathrooms and showers were convenient and clean.

They're convenient to area activities like hiking, biking and rafting, and not far from town.

Great Que

Great place for fishing kayaking Very family oriented

Closed

No longer open, bummer

Great campground

This was my first time actually “camping” and using a tent in the wilderness. This camp was laid out very well and had plenty of maps and trails, as well as daily activities. They have a small amphitheater with easy access, a dump and recycling area. RVs had access to water and sewage drainage. The main trail we took (was also pet friendly!!) took us down to the main stretch between DC and Pittsburgh. The views are great and there is plenty of things to do within hiking distance. The only thing I would like to see is a picture of each spot. Some spots seem to be laid out better than others or slightly bigger. The spot next to us had room for a second car while ours was rather awkward. We ended up camping in the gravel but made it work. Ops.

Turn Pike camp

Nice pools with playground, fishing pond and tons of open space. They have 30amp and are limited to 50. They seems to have tons of activites going on but we couldn’t stay to find out. The spot they gave us had the eclectical box broke, even tho we had been talking with with a whole month an in half. We got tons of help from staff and the campers there.

Hopefully the fix thier issues and we shall return, everyone there seemed to always have fun and enjoy the food that was prepared for them there

Small, quiet and friendly

They have a pool, fishing pond and a cloud pillow with the playground next to it along with two small dog play areas.Every week they organizes different themes for bingo, and other games. They also have Sunday pancake days. The parking spots for non seasonal are okay, a few steep ones but the all haave gravel and a patch of grass with a table and fire pit. Now thier monthly (which I have currently) man are those a nervous wreck! Very steep and awkward but we go it done. The whole back area is covered in blackberry bushes and in the morning your awaken by the beautiful sounds of birds singing.

It is in the middle of nowhere, but depending on where you wanna go it’s either 15-30min drive. BRING CHANGE! YOUR RIGHT NEXT TO TI THE TURN PIKE. Greens burg is where you’ll find all your needs like grocery stores, the mall, a few wines yards etc.